Video Games: Thread Simulator 2016

KiDisaster

I was hoping for a more frontier vibe with Andromeda with a more toned down story about getting the first new colony up and running but that trailer and the gameplay teaser from a bit ago makes it look fairly standardy game sci fi stuff - deep voiced villain giving big speech about humanity, ancient super tech, stuff hidden in vaults and bwaah noises.

So it's a bit mixed for me but I'll keep up on more stuff.

On another note has anyone played Hard West? looks a bit similar gameplay wise to x-com and the vibe looks cool but I don't remember hearing a lot of buzz about it

26 minutes ago, Talleyrand said:

I was hoping for a more frontier vibe with Andromeda with a more toned down story about getting the first new colony up and running but that trailer and the gameplay teaser from a bit ago makes it look fairly standardy game sci fi stuff - deep voiced villain giving big speech about humanity, ancient super tech, stuff hidden in vaults and bwaah noises.

So it's a bit mixed for me but I'll keep up on more stuff.

On another note has anyone played Hard West? looks a bit similar gameplay wise to x-com and the vibe looks cool but I don't remember hearing a lot of buzz about it

Have you seen the Andromeda Initiative video?

Its telling about you being frozen for 600 years while moved to the edge of the galaxy.

6 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Have you seen the Andromeda Initiative video?

Its telling about you being frozen for 600 years while moved to the edge of the galaxy.

OK, this is much better than the actual trailer. Now I'm hyped.

28 minutes ago, Talleyrand said:

I played about two hours and got distracted and didn't go back (yet. I'd like to at some point). The combat has some neat ideas to it; the biggest being how luck works. Its a metered attribute and serves as both your hit points and a way to improve your attacks, so you have to be careful about when and how to use it up. As I recall, there's some other differences from X-COM, like how the fog of war works, but I don't quite remember them.

Outside of combat, there's map where you move around (there's an icon representing you) choosing where to go and what to do. The problem is, there's usually not an indication of what outcome an action will seek. For instance, if you're looking for gold, you can choose to pan a river, mine outdoors, or go mining in a mine. There's no telling which will yield the most gold. I'm not sure if its random or based on what location you're at (and maybe what day it is), but the game doesn't surface that information.

Also, the story is spread over eight chapters. And character progression in each chapter is independent (its mostly different characters in each), so you don't get to see the same squad develop over the course of the game.

Yeah the Andromeda trailer had the protagonist, antagonist, cool desert shots, space, lights, big robots, and a spaceship. I was hyped up on this before it came out. The trailer just gave me some visuals to go along with the imagination. Spring can't come soon enough. 

5 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I think there is going to be a Mass Effect marathon happening soon. 

I'm prolly gonna take a few days off leading up so I only gots to go to class, stock the pantry, and buy some of this marawhana I keep hearing about.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I think there is going to be a Mass Effect marathon happening soon. 

I've never actually done a FemShep run.  Once this PS3 update finishes up, I'm going to start one.

I've only done a soldier playthrough before.  Deciding if I want to go full on biotics or something else.

ETA:  Still waiting on update to finish... Also going to have to figure out how to turn the tutorial back on.  Not a chance in hell I remember how to play any of these games!  Especially the first one!

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I've never actually done a FemShep run.  Once this PS3 update finishes up, I'm going to start one.

I've only done a soldier playthrough before.  Deciding if I want to go full on biotics or something else.

:o 

You're in for a treat then. FemShep is best Shep and pretty much every other class is more interesting than Soldier. Vanguard is my favorite. Biotic Charge + a shotgun in 2 and 3 is amazing. It's not as good in 1 from what I remember though. 

Also GarBear is the best romance :wub:

Did decide on Vanguard.  Just can't go full biotic.  The inner warrior in me won't let me go full backline!!! :lol: 

So looking at this timeline, ME is in 2183 and the Andromeda Initiative is set to launch in 2185.  So it perhaps is a response to the Reaver threat, but not the full on ME3 destruction.

58 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

You're in for a treat then. FemShep is best Shep and pretty much every other class is more interesting than Soldier. Vanguard is my favorite. Biotic Charge + a shotgun in 2 and 3 is amazing. It's not as good in 1 from what I remember though. 

GarBear!!!! I set aside an hour every day to weep for the paintings he never made.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

So looking at this timeline, ME is in 2183 and the Andromeda Initiative is set to launch in 2185.  So it perhaps is a response to the Reaver threat, but not the full on ME3 destruction.

The website says the project was started in 2176. Its conception is apparently independent of the Reapers.

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Just slather some miracle gel on it. 

And prepare for some good old fashioned texture pop-in and elevator rides. 

Sidenote: 'Slather' is a really awful word. 

The miracle gel joke in lair of the shadow broker was one of my biggest laughs in the whole trilogy.

I'm hooked from the trailer as well, I was looking forward to the exploratory vibe but the darker tone of this trailer still grabbed me all the same. There is room for a fair bit of nuance with these aliens being antagonistic but the awareness that "we are the aliens". Most of the voice actors havent been confirmed yet, I saw Clancy Brown theorised for Dad/Alec Ryder and I can hear that, and listening to the orientation video Jien just screams Jamie Clayton to me (Nomi from sens8).

ETA: And nailed it - she's confirmed now - 

7 hours ago, Jon AS said:

The website says the project was started in 2176. Its conception is apparently independent of the Reapers.

That implies they're either retconning or ignoring the fact that in ME1 it's said that the Normandy is the first spaceship construction collaboration humanity has had with another race (in that case, the Turians). Shame.

The trailer looks solid though. A bit generic, but I'm excited just to finally see footage.

34 minutes ago, Fez said:

That implies they're either retconning or ignoring the fact that in ME1 it's said that the Normandy is the first spaceship construction collaboration humanity has had with another race (in that case, the Turians). Shame.

The trailer looks solid though. A bit generic, but I'm excited just to finally see footage.

Does it say who started it? Maybe at first it one only humanity's initiative, or only the Council's and then the Reaper threat accelerated things and got other species involved.

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

I've never actually done a FemShep run.  

10 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Yes, FemShep IS Mass Effect for me. Tried a BroShep run once and it just felt...wrong. Didn't make it through half of ME1.

I've got some time off coming up so a fresh run definitely in the offing. I've also never gone full biotic so I might try that.

Archived