NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

Hmmmm, I get that LeBron is important for the Cavs, but in comparison, Houston and OKC would completely keel over without the Beard or Westbrook. They are surely even more important in terms of leadership, assists and production. It's pretty unbelievable how important they are, a complete ball club hinges on their shoulders. I'd rate them higher in all 4 categories you mention.

The only reason not to give it to them is because the team might not do well enough, that is the big hurdle. 

I do think though that both players are making *such* a case for themselves this year that the NBA simply cannot ignore it.

The Ringer opines on John Wall's 52 point performance.

Unfortunately, he’s the Wizards’ biggest hope of keeping fans in their seats, and any success they have as a team is incumbent on his own success — Wall is the A-list actor cast in a box office flop. The Wizards go from average when Wall is on the floor (plus-0.4 net rating) to a tragic, hopeless mess when he’s riding the pine (minus-10.2 net rating).

24 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Hmmmm, I get that LeBron is important for the Cavs, but in comparison, Houston and OKC would completely keel over without the Beard or Westbrook. They are surely even more important in terms of leadership, assists and production. It's pretty unbelievable how important they are, a complete ball club hinges on their shoulders. I'd rate them higher in all 4 categories you mention.

The only reason not to give it to them is because the team might not do well enough, that is the big hurdle. 

I do think though that both players are making *such* a case for themselves this year that the NBA simply cannot ignore it.

In terms of on-the-court production I agree, with LeBron I'm more talking about things like his efforts to mentor Irving, boost Love's confidence, and spend almost all his free time with J.R. Smith to keep him from getting in trouble. LeBron is hardly the only player to do stuff like this, but I think its very important and valuable to the team's success. There's no good way to quantify it, and I'm not even sure there should be an attempt to do so, but I think its important to keep in mind when talking about value.

MJ was the GOAT just on his play, but the way he made his teammates better by making them too afraid to disappoint him made him even more valuable to the Bulls.

ETA: The Love and Irving stuff is more last year's example, the JR Smith stuff is this year's.

So glad the Wizards are at a point where John Wall can put up 52 points on 31 shots with 4 rebounds and 8 assists against a mediocre Orlando team and they still lose. Top notch team building there Ernie Grunfeld.

What sucks is he's the only thing that makes the Wizards at all palatable but they probably need to start looking into blowing this whole thing up and looking at what they could get for him in trade. Not ideal when you just handed out $191m in guaranteed contracts to other people this offseason, but it's not clear how they get better from here. Unless they can get Vivek liquored up and convince him to take a package highlighted by the zombie for DeMarcus Cousins. At best this year they looked to be one of those middle of the pack low upside teams who maybe could make the 2nd round of the playoffs if things broke right...and now it doesn't look like they're even that. 

I'd consider quietly shopping Wall now and see who's willing to make a godfather offer for a really good PG who would be even better if he played with other elite talent. 

Didn't know she and Harden were done.

17 hours ago, Jaime L said:

So glad the Wizards are at a point where John Wall can put up 52 points on 31 shots with 4 rebounds and 8 assists against a mediocre Orlando team and they still lose. Top notch team building there Ernie Grunfeld.

What sucks is he's the only thing that makes the Wizards at all palatable but they probably need to start looking into blowing this whole thing up and looking at what they could get for him in trade. Not ideal when you just handed out $191m in guaranteed contracts to other people this offseason, but it's not clear how they get better from here. Unless they can get Vivek liquored up and convince him to take a package highlighted by the zombie for DeMarcus Cousins. At best this year they looked to be one of those middle of the pack low upside teams who maybe could make the 2nd round of the playoffs if things broke right...and now it doesn't look like they're even that. 

I'd consider quietly shopping Wall now and see who's willing to make a godfather offer for a really good PG who would be even better if he played with other elite talent. 

I saw that stat as well, Wall exploded and the Magic still beat them.

Wall is a player I would love to see on a better team. Almost as much as the other person who I've been hoping gets traded three years now, Demarcus Cousins. I really want to see him on a contender, while he is still in his prime. It's amazing how many years he has already wasted in Sacramento.

Beal has been contributing remarkably consistently this year btw. He'd usually have picked up an injury by now, though the mystery of how exactly dead people continue to amass new injuries hasn't quite been cleared up yet.

Last night was another confirmation why all the talk about how the Warriors will struggle defensively without Bogut, Ezeli and Barnes was way premature. They have had the 3rd best defensive rating in the league in the last 12 games. Draymond is fantastic defender and an underrated rim protector, Durant is playing really well on that end and getting better defending at the post, Iggy looks to be improving after his slow start, even Javale is showing flashes...

And they just destroyed the Clippers even though both Durant and Curry struggled with their shot all night. They are scary good.

2 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Oh wow, who knew there were so many dyed in the wool, long-suffering Warriors fans here in Memphis of all places. 55 minutes til tip and this place already looks like Oracle East. :lol:  And surprisingly, more Durant jerseys at this point than Steph ones.

You have to love the bandwagon. (Says the guy who prior to 2013 probably hadn't been to a game since like 1997) ;)

So the Grizz dominate the Warriors from start to finish. I know you guys are going to lambast me for bitching, but this team is not as fun to watch as the team of the last 3 seasons. They remind me a lot of the old Run TMC teams of the 90's. We'll hang 120 on you and hope that you only manage 115. Doesn't seem like a formula that is going to work against the top tier teams.  

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So the Grizz dominate the Warriors from start to finish. I know you guys are going to lambast me for bitching, but this team is not as fun to watch as the team of the last 3 seasons. They remind me a lot of the old Run TMC teams of the 90's. We'll hang 120 on you and hope that you only manage 115. Doesn't seem like a formula that is going to work against the top tier teams.  

The Grizzlies really worked hard to contest every pass and shot. Tony Allen and Jamychal Green in particular played out of their minds. It made for a very sloppy game from the Warriors - lots of deflected balls and several passes sailing out of bounds. The biggest difference in the game was the turnover differential (22 to 10).

It also helped that Steph and Klay couldn't hit the side of a barn for most of the game, even when they managed to get open.

Anyway, hell of a win. I'm very encouraged by how well the Grizzlies have played in the absence of Mike Conley the past few weeks. If they can get Conley and Chandler Parsons back for the stretch run, this team could make some noise. 

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, Green looks like he's going to be a stud. Turnovers were big, but your boys also got to the line a lot more. Seems like you had a ton of guys in double digits points wise. 

Right, 7 guys in double figures. All five starters plus Z-Bo and Jarell Martin, who probably had his best game as a pro. Free throws were huge, no question. Aggressive play getting to the line and then sinking 26/29 as a team.

Next up for the Grizzlies - back to back against the Cavs Tuesday and Wednesday. :stunned:      

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Haha. I enjoy your panicky posts when GS loses. They're kind of insane but also the truth at the same time, and that's the nature of the sports fan. We nitpick everything even when our teams are ridiculously good. 

Bulls beat the Spurs and Cavs and lose to Lakers and Mavs in a week's span. Typical Chicago team.

7 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Haha. I enjoy your panicky posts when GS loses. They're kind of insane but also the truth at the same time, and that's the nature of the sports fan. We nitpick everything even when our teams are ridiculously good. 

Bulls beat the Spurs and Cavs and lose to Lakers and Mavs in a week's span. Typical Chicago team.

Think Golden State is still outrageously good, but not as good as they were last year. Bogut is a player.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

Think Golden State is still outrageously good, but not as good as they were last year. Bogut is a player.

They've definitely lost the ability to shut teams down for extended periods as they have in the past. I don't care what anyone says, they are not as good defensively.

12 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Your defensive stats are almost the same as last season. DRTG is worse by about a point which is nothing given the major changes you made. In the last month you have had the second best defensive rating in the league (equal to the one from last season). A few days ago you destroyed the Clippers away with ease and held them to 98 points. So yeah, seems like an overreaction.

18 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Your defensive stats are almost the same as last season. DRTG is worse by about a point which is nothing given the major changes you made. In the last month you have had the second best defensive rating in the league (equal to the one from last season). A few days ago you destroyed the Clippers away with ease and held them to 98 points. So yeah, seems like an overreaction.

Yeah, I know it's an overreaction, saving the fact that the Clippers are the only upper tier team that the Warriors have beat. And I think the Clips have a bit of a mental block when it comes to the Warriors at this point. I think they've dropped like 7 straight to them at this point.

Archived