NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

Maybe, but they had to win three games in a row, not just one.

Sure, but one of those games came against a short-handed Warriors squad. I guess if you want to include Bogut in the conversation, then same deal for Game 7. I have to imagine you'd mention the Cavs short-handedness when talking about the Finals series from the year before, no? 

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sure, but one of those games came against a short-handed Warriors squad. I guess if you want to include Bogut in the conversation, then same deal for Game 7. I have to imagine you'd mention the Cavs short-handedness when talking about the Finals series from the year before, no? 

Injuries are a bit different than a player getting suspended due to repeated dirty play.

28 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Not might. I'd say will. I think he fits that role in the same way Steph Curry does. It'll be fun to watch.

Yeah, with the diffusion in GS, to me the MVP favourites are Bron, Westbrook and Harden, though KAT or AD might take big steps forward. 

Edit: and I mean Paul's always in the picture, but health and teammates are X factors.

Just watched Lebron drop an effortless 20 in the 3rd quarter against Boston.

Isaiah Thomas is quickly becoming one of my favorite players to watch. Absolutely fearless driving to the hole and always finishes. Everytime Celtics had a drought against the Bulls yesterday he would just take into his hands. He could be an outside contender for MVP also.

Love continuing to fill up the stats sheet. I'm telling you, Cavs are a better team than last year and it's because of Love. I believe he's found himself and his role in this team. I haven't got to catch a game yet, but I bet he has much more confidence/swag in his step. And, I have the feeling whatever problems there was between him and James has disappeared by winning the title and the way Love played in that Game 7. I see a repeat.

My take on Durant torching his old team, after several GSW fans on another NBA-focused board enjoyed his game as a bigtime moment, in their eyes:

Top 3 player in the last decade has a great game, after joining the greatest regular season team of all time? Shocker! 

The only comparison I can think of, from my mindset as a lifelong Bulls guy, is if Jordan ditched the Bulls in 89, after being a regular season superstar, to join Magic and the Lakers. Then dominated, as his talent would have allowed. Yay, 1990-94 Lakers with Magic, MJ, Worthy and co. Hooray for Lakers fans! The rest of the country would have said "he could have been even better if he'd stuck with Chicago". Not a perfect comparison, because Durant can't hold a candle to Jordan's GOAT bonfire, but it's a similar vibe for me.

45 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

My take on Durant torching his old team, after several GSW fans on another NBA-focused board enjoyed his game as a bigtime moment, in their eyes:

Top 3 player in the last decade has a great game, after joining the greatest regular season team of all time? Shocker! 

The only comparison I can think of, from my mindset as a lifelong Bulls guy, is if Jordan ditched the Bulls in 89, after being a regular season superstar, to join Magic and the Lakers. Then dominated, as his talent would have allowed. Yay, 1990-94 Lakers with Magic, MJ, Worthy and co. Hooray for Lakers fans! The rest of the country would have said "he could have been even better if he'd stuck with Chicago". Not a perfect comparison, because Durant can't hold a candle to Jordan's GOAT bonfire, but it's a similar vibe for me.

Except the Lakers weren't really the Bulls rival.  It would be as if after losing in the conference final to the pistons in 90 he then went and joined the two time champion Pistons.  But yes not really comparable due to MJ.

7 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Love continuing to fill up the stats sheet. I'm telling you, Cavs are a better team than last year and it's because of Love. I believe he's found himself and his role in this team. I haven't got to catch a game yet, but I bet he has much more confidence/swag in his step. And, I have the feeling whatever problems there was between him and James has disappeared by winning the title and the way Love played in that Game 7. I see a repeat.

Love is clearly off to a much better start yes. Apparently this is also down to the way his minutes are staggered.

So basically he starts with Iriving and LeBron, but is taken off sooner, and then comes on again when LeBron and Irving sit, and then leads the second unit's scoring. It pumps his own numbers and is good for the team.

I'm excited for the Cavs vs Warriors final, but I'm not really very excited about this season.  I mean, the next two best teams in the league are probably the Spurs and Clippers, and I'm doubtful they could beat the Warriors even if they didn't have to play each other first.  In the NBA the saying is usually "the season doesn't really start until the playoffs", but this year it feels like the season doesn't start until the Finals.  The only question on the way is whether both teams will be healthy, and if any of the young teams can make enough strides to potentially be a contender in 2017-18. 

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm excited for the Cavs vs Warriors final, but I'm not really very excited about this season.  

It's because not only are the Wizards 0-3, they're the only team out of all 30 that hasn't played 4 games yet. They're that hideous. 

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

It's because not only are the Wizards 0-3, they're the only team out of all 30 that hasn't played 4 games yet. They're that hideous. 

I thought about mentioning the Wizards, but let's be honest.  Nobody cares. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

I thought about mentioning the Wizards, but let's be honest.  Nobody cares. 

I care! Or at least I will in January. They really should start the NBA season on Christmas. Way too many distractions ATM. 

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I care! Or at least I will in January. They really should start the NBA season on Christmas. Way too many distractions ATM. 

I want to care, but the Wizards have to earn it.  Getting outclassed by the Eastern Conference runner up does not count. 

45 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I want to care, but the Wizards have to earn it.  Getting outclassed by the Eastern Conference runner up does not count. 

Hey thanks for the subtle dig at the Raptors! I don't understand how the Wiz aren't better but then again I don't watch them when they aren't playing the Raps.  Like John Wall is always amazing against us.  Is it a morale drain because they have a zombie playing shooting guard? Does John Wall not like Beal because he watches a lot of Walking Dead and so wants to end him?

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Hey thanks for the subtle dig at the Raptors!

I don't even see how this qualifies as a dig on the Raptors.  The best Wizards teams of the past fifteen years lost to the Pacers (2014) and Hawks (2015), both of whom lost badly to Lebron James in the ECF. 

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Hey thanks for the subtle dig at the Raptors! I don't understand how the Wiz aren't better but then again I don't watch them when they aren't playing the Raps.  Like John Wall is always amazing against us.  Is it a morale drain because they have a zombie playing shooting guard? Does John Wall not like Beal because he watches a lot of Walking Dead and so wants to end him?

The only thing worse than having an undead teammate is having an undead teammate who makes $48m more guaranteed even though you're twice as good. If Wall ends up shooting Beal before this season is out, which is a distinct possibility, I'm sure he'll use the "he came at me in an abandoned grocery store" excuse which I feel like is guaranteed to get him off. 

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Blasphemy! Soccer has the right of it. Make them play year round!!!

Archived