Westeros

HBO Execs Considering Game of Thrones “Brand Extension”

52 posts in this topic

Honestly after their atrocity of an 'adaptation' which pretty much scarred me for life I don't think I'd survive watching a Robert's Rebellion made by these unskilled hacks.

On 2017-06-01 at 8:20 PM, Dejection said:

Honestly after their atrocity of an 'adaptation' which pretty much scarred me for life I don't think I'd survive watching a Robert's Rebellion made by these unskilled hacks.

RR isnt on the table either according to not a blog.

I'm still hoping for an adult oriented animated ASOAIF series.  So many great voice actors out there, and animation fixes a lot of the CGI costs for dragons, wolves, and other things in the GoT universe.  Also, numbers of troops on the battlefield, while this has improved slightly in recent seasons, it's still a far cry for the battles GRRM describes in his books, the Blackwater Bay battle especially, which looked like about 100 Lannister/KL soldiers vs about 300 Stannis troops.  With an animated series, you could put 10s of thousands of troops, cavalry, etc on screen at at time.  Also, characters like the Mountain could be made to be actually nearly 8 feet tall and 500lbs of walking muscle, instead of a 6"7 guy who weighs about 300 lbs.  Things like that.

Of course I want to see live action series first, but I do feel that a secondary or tertiary series would be great as an animated project.  Robert's Rebellion or TPAQ, any of the stories that require massive battles and such would work well IMO.

On 3/11/2017 at 1:55 PM, House Mosse said:

Why not go way back - the coming of the Andals to Westeros, or even to the age of heroes, Bran the Builder etc.? These are legend or even myth at the time of the War of the Five Kings, so why not find out what really happened?

I really like these ideas. Way back, answering world building questions with all the fantasygasms and drama ppl like

Posted (edited)

On 3/20/2017 at 8:07 PM, lancerman said:

It's the most boring option, but a Robert's Rebellion makes the most sense for this sort of a project. It is a well layered story in and of itself. AND it features enough ties to the original series to give it a hook for most of the current audience. A series where a young Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon team up to defeat the Mad King. Where Lyanna is kidnapped. Where Jamie becomes a KG. Where Tywin takes over his father's seat and watches his relationship with Aerys detoriate. Where Cat has her bethrothed taken from her and is forced to settle for Ned. Where Rheagar accidentally starts a war that will destroy his house.

You could very easily get a few seasons out of that. 

I agree. Not my fav but I think a normal prequel move. It's a safer bet marketing wise. However, HBO might break the mold, they like to do that. Still, it makes the most sense. 

Edit. I take that back, I just read this EW article (GRRM says no RR). I'm not surprised he said no D&E either. 

Edited by Raeslewolhn

It'd be cool to see Rise of the Targareyns, but who knows really. The past 2 seasons, while being good, are obviously (as of now) physically impossible. I wouldn't want it messed up.

Problem is we are really limited by the medium here.  Even if we got a chance to see the really cool stuff Doom of Valeria or the Long Knight it isn’t going to happen.  They have a formula and it works so it will be something more palatable Roberts Rebellion or the short stories.  If we really get lucky maybe we will see the Dance of Dragons (The Targarian Civil War) on the screen. 

4 hours ago, Crazydog7 said:

Problem is we are really limited by the medium here.  Even if we got a chance to see the really cool stuff Doom of Valeria or the Long Knight it isn’t going to happen.  They have a formula and it works so it will be something more palatable Roberts Rebellion or the short stories.  If we really get lucky maybe we will see the Dance of Dragons (The Targarian Civil War) on the screen. 

Good point. They've mentioned before they have all these sets, a lot granted, but they only have so much to deal w/ like RR, DOV, etc.

Posted (edited)

Sorry, but ths is like the buyers on HGTV bitching about the colour of the walls or the fact there is carpet vs. hardwood in the bedroom.  Bleedin' wankers, they.

I'll be immensely grateful for HBO and the producers  to continue the bloody series just as it is for another five or six years.   All it would take is a severe and stringent study of Barbara Tuchman and the other Medieval scholars of the era to come up with subplots... And then a bit of inspired supposition as to Dragons (Oi.  Don't these things have sex?   More Dragon eggs?  Another trip to the sauna for Danyerys?), Greyscale, Dothraki, Whties and the like.

It seems a bit of a no-brainer for HBO to fund this (or do a "crowwd-funder") for a couple more years. 

MiGod, I'd shoot if I could get an audience like that  (Hell, even 1/100th of that) for my knotwork!

Edited by FrayedKnotArts

The First Blackfyre Rebellion would make a good series. It could be stretched a bit, there's a lot of KL politicking going on, only one really expensive big battle at Redgrass Field, and mostly skirmishing and the like for other battles. That makes it very good for HBO, especially if they're not keen on spending current levels of Game of Thrones production money on a sequel series.

If they decide they have to have dragons somewhere, they could always do flashbacks.

I'll say it: I would totally watch a series about the Blackfyre rebellion. I think they run less of a risk of inadvertently screwing up the timeline or details of GoT itself if they stay away from Robert's Rebellion, and I'd love to see Selmy as a young swordsman.

I'd hope they'll go smaller scale for the spin-off. Maybe something ala 'a tale of two cities' or a conflict between 'Starks and Lannisters' except on a local scale rather than continent wide? I found the later seasons a real chore due to everyone needing teleporters to travel the extreme distances which in previous seasons took entire seasons to travel in a matter of episodes or minutes.