Football - City Bid the Wrong Type of Sterling

Philokles

KdB has been excellent. Pep really should consider telling Mendy to sit back - with Mane off, Walker can be released. Salah is the most dangerous player on the pitch for Liverpool and much of that is down to him being up against Otamendi which is a mismatch. Could see Otamendi picking up a second yellow if that situation is allowed to continue.

16 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Whether the ball is there to win or not, studs to the face is horrific. That's a high foot and some.

It might be a red card but for it to be a 'horrific' challenge there at least needs to be some malice or for it to be unreasonablely reckless. Mane's got to go for that ball, it's unfortunate Ederson's got hurt but sometimes players get injured.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

KdB has been excellent. Pep really should consider telling Mendy to sit back - with Mane off, Walker can be released. Salah is the most dangerous player on the pitch for Liverpool and much of that is down to him being up against Otamendi which is a mismatch. Could see Otamendi picking up a second yellow if that situation is allowed to continue.

Otamendi getting a second yellow is the only way I can imagine this game becoming entertaining for the neutral. I was looking forward to this game, but it feels like it died with the Mane red.

5 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

I think it's red. Not malicious, but a high kick with studs showing. Could easily have been red if it was along the floor, at head higth it's red the moment Ederson gets to the ball. 

Carragher made a good point: you can elbow a player in the face while looking at the ball, but it is still endangering the opponent. There was zero intent from Mane to do so, but he seriously injured his opponent with an unquestionable high foot.

5 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Otamendi getting a second yellow is the only way I can imagine this game becoming entertaining for the neutral. I was looking forward to this game, but it feels like it died with the Mane red.

As long as Bravo and Otamendi are on there's hope.

Anyway, I'm generally in favour of players being allowed to challenge for the ball in the air but it's hard to argue against dangerous play given the result there.

1 minute ago, Soylent Brown said:

The red was fair enough, and obviously the game was always going to be City's after that, but I don't think we would have managed a win today anyway. Too many of our players are having off days. Wijnaldum, again, has been awful, getting bullied off the ball numerous times. Can has taken 20 touches every time the ball's come to him, and Firmino looks like he's drunk or something. His touch has been shocking. 

I did feel like Liverpool had some goals in them before the red (if only Salah could finish) but yeah I wasn't feeling a win. City would've got a couple more regardless. Klavan and TAA have both been completely exposed. 

Agree about the players you singled out as well. Wijnaldum on the road is just not even the same player as he is at Anfield. Firmino looks burnt out, hope Sturridge starts in CL. 

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

At least Wenger has not had another epic brain fart. Mustafi brought back into the back three, Kolasinac at LWB and Lacazette starts.

Hate the back 3 but at least most players are in a position that's naturalish to them.

I just woke and could not resist checking the Liveroool result, so at least that saves me from watching it.  

It sounds like KDB and Silva killed us with their movement and passing between the lines (not helped by TAA being the wrong RB for this game), we fluffed our chances before the red card (Salah has been pretty wasteful in each game) but then collapsed into shambles after the red card.  We're a cohesive and dangerous unit on the front foot when playing with confidence, but if our attack gets blunted then we're over-balanced and very vulnerable. 

Everton have put themselves into a bit of trouble this transfer window it looks like-  they've assembled a cracking collection of players who'll look great playing off a good number 9, but no number 9. Looks like Calvert-Lewin will be more key this season than maybe they'd planned, because he's the one guy who's looked like he can provide a good focal point.

Pereira has had a good first half for Valencia. He's done his defensive work diligently and had some decent moments in attack too. Chances are at a premium in this game though as both sides have cancelled each other out. Really, he should be ahead of Lingard in our pecking order as he is overall the better player. Lingard just runs around alot. It was pretty frustrating that we were using Pereira as a deep lying midfielder in preseason when clearly he is not.

Real Madrid need Ronaldo back. His movement in-and-around the box as well as his finishing is still unmatched. Real's general play has been very good in these past two games (Valencia and Levante) yet they failed to win either. Quite sure that had Ronaldo been on the pitch, they would have picked up six points instead of two.

Chelsea hold off Leicester in a sloppy win. Turned the ball over a lot, poor in final third, but a win nonetheless. Nice to see Hazard get back on the pitch, and I like the look of Zappacosta. I think he'll push Moses hard for the starting spot, and eventually win. Can't look past the Italian connection with Conte. Will be interesting to see what the lineup is this Tuesday for UCL.

Archived