Which historical figure would you like to know more about?

BBBaratheon

7 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

I think she is one of the most important characters in the expanded universe. She didn't "predict" per se, but she foresaw. I'd like to know how she foresaw the doom some dozen years before it happened. And she must have been quite gifted and powerful in the art. Indeed, it would be interesting to know about the other visions she saw, if any. 

What about these:

Original Azhor Ahai (central mystery solved!) 

The Night's King

The first Faceless Man/Men

Rhaegar Targaryen (his readings mainly and what book he read to make him suddenly sad/disappointed) 

Rhaenys Targeryen (did she really die with her dragon or survive on Dorne?)

You know, what you said about Rhaegar made me wonder: what if he somehow found Daenys' missing book? Maybe The Prince that was Promised/Dragon with Three Heads was one of the visions she wrote in the book, and seeing that a lot of her other visions came true, he decided to make sure that this one would too. I don't really have any evidence for this, it's just a thought.

3 hours ago, simplyredqueen said:

You know, what you said about Rhaegar made me wonder: what if he somehow found Daenys' missing book? Maybe The Prince that was Promised/Dragon with Three Heads was one of the visions she wrote in the book, and seeing that a lot of her other visions came true, he decided to make sure that this one would too. I don't really have any evidence for this, it's just a thought.

It's something that's mentioned in passing but I always wondered if he discovered something very important about the prophesy. And considering he wasn't happy about it, it was probably something bad. Or it could have also been very confusing and he couldn't solve it and it made him sad. We would also know a lot more with Rhaegar's past like how did Robert come to believe Lyanna got kidnapped, and how bad did Aery's visions get to make him go pyromaniacally crazy, who was the Knight of the Laughing Tree (Lyanna probably), why he thought he was the Prince that was Promised, etc. 

2 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

It's something that's mentioned in passing but I always wondered if he discovered something very important about the prophesy. And considering he wasn't happy about it, it was probably something bad. Or it could have also been very confusing and he couldn't solve it and it made him sad.

Yes, I'm convinced he knew something. Maybe even a lot of what will happen. It is possible Rhaegar had some document no one else is aware. Maybe something private to the Targaryen family. But unlikely IMO. I would rather believe, he learnt something from the GOHH during his "retraites" to Summerhall. He was always sad when returning from there.

1 hour ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Yes, I'm convinced he knew something. Maybe even a lot of what will happen. It is possible Rhaegar had some document no one else is aware. Maybe something private to the Targaryen family. But unlikely IMO. I would rather believe, he learnt something from the GOHH during his "retraites" to Summerhall. He was always sad when returning from there.

I think he probably found a more complete version Septon Barth's writings based on this quote from the world book.

Septon Barth's claim that the Valyrians came to Westeros because their priests prophesied that the Doom of Man would come out of the land beyond the narrow sea can safely be dismissed as nonsense, as can many of Barth's queerer beliefs and suppositions.

On 9/8/2017 at 6:25 PM, falcotron said:

He also specifically said he doesn't want to write the story of Robert's Rebellion because you'll already know all the most interesting things by the end of ASoIaF.

But of course we may get the Maester's-eye view of it in Fire and Blood Part III or something if he doesn't get sick of writing those.

I would be eminently happy with a WOIAF-type book for Robert's Rebellion. Something like a D & E novella series would be amazing too but I'd be happy with just about anything.

1 hour ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

I would be eminently happy with a WOIAF-type book for Robert's Rebellion.

Me too.

In fact, I hope he doesn't get bored of the F&B project, and continues it all the way up to the events of ASoIaF, written by a Maester a generation or three after the end. The focus should be fascinatingly different from the novels, and we'll know what they're getting wrong instead of having to guess, while he can fill in a few things we didn't get to see along the way, and of course it's an easy way to drop a couple hints about where things go after everyone lives bittersweetly ever after.

16 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Me too.

In fact, I hope he doesn't get bored of the F&B project, and continues it all the way up to the events of ASoIaF, written by a Maester a generation or three after the end. The focus should be fascinatingly different from the novels, and we'll know what they're getting wrong instead of having to guess, while he can fill in a few things we didn't get to see along the way, and of course it's an easy way to drop a couple hints about where things go after everyone lives bittersweetly ever after.

Take_My_Money.gif

22 hours ago, Tucu said:

I think he probably found a more complete version Septon Barth's writings based on this quote from the world book.

I really would like to know what Barth knew or speculated. The Valyrians predicted the Doom would come from Westeros. They also knew something of the PtWP. But was it enough to influence Rhaegar in what he did? I don't know. I was more expecting something from the Targaryens, from Daenys the Dreamer.

2 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I really would like to know what Barth knew or speculated. The Valyrians predicted the Doom would come from Westeros. They also knew something of the PtWP. But was it enough to influence Rhaegar in what he did? I don't know. I was more expecting something from the Targaryens, from Daenys the Dreamer.

What we know about the historical prophecy of the promised prince that is discussed by the scholars indicates that this has nothing to do with the Targaryens but is something that stretches down at least a thousand years, perhaps even farther back in time. That's what Marwyn indicates in AFfC. It is likely that the prophecy originated in Valyria but I'd be very surprised if anybody connected it with the Targaryens at that point - rather with the dragonlords in general.

Barth may have commented on the promised prince prophecy, if it was still discussed among the learned at that time. I actually think the Targaryens lost or misplaced their version of the prophecy - perhaps during Maegor's terror regime or in the wake of the Dance - until it was rediscovered by Aerys I. The man spent his entire life reading and translating obscure Valyrian scrolls.

The prophecy might have helped to guide Aenar's move west to Dragonstone (rather than, say, the Basilisk Isles, Slaver's Bay, Volantis, or any other place he might have chosen instead) as well as Aegon's Conquest but if that's the case it was either a very subtle influence or not openly discussed/disclosed to the kind of sources historians could later use.

Daenys' crucial prophetic dream concerned the Doom but she may have had more such dreams, dreams that played a role in future Targaryen history.

Whatever Rhaegar read would have been the original prophecy of the promised prince Aemon, Jaehaerys II, and Aerys II had access to. And it would have been Rhaeger's parents who - believing their son might be the promised prince - showed said prophecy to him. Young boys usually don't stumble on ancient prophecies by accident, nor are they likely to conclude all by themselves that they are the subject of some vague prophecy. Rhaegar was given a prophecy and told by his elders that this prophecy was talking about him. A crucial piece there would have been the prophecy the Ghost made to Jaehaerys II and its interpretation.

Whether Rhaegar needed another personal prophecy/more information to do what he did is interesting but actually not necessary. He certainly had all pieces to give in to the delusion that he was the one to father the third dragon head.

The Ghost of High Heart apparently lived at the High Heart. There is no reason to believe she ever returned to Summerhall after the tragedy, so it would be odd to assume Rhaegar may have met her there. He could have searched for her during his mysterious journey and perhaps he found her then - but if he did he most likely only learned from her that he would indeed have another son who would be the third dragon head.

The legends whose castles were built on hollow hills or have access to caves and the subterranean in general [ala the greenseers in their caves]

Brandon the Builder

Lann the Clever

Durran Godsgrief

Harlon the Hunter & Herndon of the Horn

Ser Clarence Crabb

Night King and Symeon Star Eyes [Inhabitants of the Nightfort]

A couple of legends attached to hills or sacred hills........

The Grey King

Garth the Gardener

Tristifer Mudd IV

Jon Stark

• 2 weeks later...

Archived