US Politics: Mueller Monday

Mexal

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Agreed. It also changes the way we need to view everything Trump and his campaign did with regards to Russia. Especially the June meeting with Don Jr.

Also, this explains a lot of the sucking up, among other things.

It also seems like a signal from Mueller that if you cooperate, you'll get a deal like Papadopolous and if you don't, you'll get hit with a hammer like Manafort/Gates.

Martell Spy,

Your second link in that second post must have been cut off.

Regarding Papadopoulos,

It appear likely that he's going to provide the smoking gun.

21. From mid-June through mid-August 2016, PAPADOPOULOS pursued an "off
the record" meeting between one or more Campaign representatives and "members of president
putin's office and the mfa."

a. For example, on or about June 19, 2016, after several email and Skype
exchanges with the Russian MFA Connection, defendant PAPADOPOULOS emailed the High-
Ranking Campaign Official, with the subject line "New message from Russia": "The Russian
ministry of foreign affairs messaged and said that if Mr. Trump is unable to make it to Russia, if
a campaign rep (me or someone else) can make it for meetings? I am willing to make the trip off
the record if it?s in the interest of Mr. Trump and the campaign to meet specific people."

Full text of Paadopoulos' criminal charges, stipulation, and plea agreement. This fragment comes from the second of those three sections.

The way I see things, it sure seems like Trump is done. Between this, the longtime and well researched links that Manafort, Gates and Stone have with the Russian government, the meetings and email of Donny Junior... it seems about as clear as it can get. The guilt of the Trump campaign is more or less proven, now it's just a matter if the Republican party is willing to keep Trump himself from going down and enough people are willing to fall on their swords to keep it from happening. (Also, how his followers take it, because no matter how much Trump is legitimately damned and proven guilty, there's quite a large portion of his most deplorable followers who will lionize him and continue what they've already begun.)

10 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It also seems like a signal from Mueller that if you cooperate, you'll get a deal like Papadopolous and if you don't, you'll get hit with a hammer like Manafort/Gates.

That could very well be true. Muller is no amateur, unlike Trump et al. What I’m wondering about now is when did the Trump Administration learn about the charges that were coming out. Was it real time like all of us or did they have advanced notice?

6 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Martell Spy,

Your second link in that second post must have been cut off.

Regarding Papadopoulos,

It appear likely that he's going to provide the smoking gun.

Full text of Paadopoulos' criminal charges, stipulation, and plea agreement. This fragment comes from the second of those three sections.

The way I see things, it sure seems like Trump is done. Between this, the longtime and well researched links that Manafort, Gates and Stone have with the Russian government, the meetings and email of Donny Junior... it seems about as clear as it can get. The guilt of the Trump campaign is more or less proven, now it's just a matter if the Republican party is willing to keep Trump himself from going down and enough people are willing to fall on their swords to keep it from happening.

Is there a jaw drop emoji, because holy ****.

The guilt of the Trump campaign is more or less proven, now it's just a matter if the Republican party is willing to keep Trump himself from going down and enough people are willing to fall on their swords to keep it from happening. (Also, how his followers take it, because no matter how much Trump is legitimately damned and proven guilty, there's quite a large portion of his most deplorable followers who will lionize him and continue what they've already begun.)

I think the goal of Republican leaders right now is simply to keep Trump long enough for tax reform to be completed. I also think they'll try to dump Trump after without harming their party too badly. And if their party is harmed, yet they succeed in a massive and long term redistribution of wealth to the 1%, they are willing to accept that too. They saw how little their party was punished over Bush's misdeeds, 2 bad elections, and are assuming that politics swings back and forth.

As little as I think of them, I don't think they actually wish to lead America into a fascist hellhole. However, they may accidentally do that with their cowardly games. It's a little hard to enjoy your well earned post office lobbying post if the country is too fucked up.

Hopefully all this news complicates tax reform, however.

On 10/30/2017 at 0:58 PM, Martell Spy said:

I think the goal of Republican leaders right now is simply to keep Trump long enough for tax reform to be completed. I

Tax Cuts Uber Alles.

Also, related. I hope everyone is aware of Kevin Hastett's (Of Dow 36000 Fame) laughable claims about how worker wages will rise in response to tax cuts. Yeah, right. LOL.

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That could very well be true. Muller is no amateur, unlike Trump et al. What I’m wondering about now is when did the Trump Administration learn about the charges that were coming out. Was it real time like all of us or did they have advanced notice?

I think it was real time (or shortly before). Mueller is running a tight ship and I don't see any reason why they'd inform them ahead of time.

3 hours ago, Bold Barry Whitebeard said:

It's actually not looking bad at all.  Mueller indicted for "Conspiracy to Commit Money Laundering" under 18 USC 371 instead of money laundering itself (18 USC 1956).  Conspiracy only carries 5 years imprisonment vs money laundering's 20 year imprisonment.  Also, he didn't indict him for mortgage fraud, which would have been the other hammer.

I don't think any of the charges against him carry more than a five year penalty max, and even then the sentences for each charge will be served concurrently.  With sentencing guidelines, he probably won't even serve that much time.

Why are you certain about concurrency? (Honest question)

Also, related. I hope everyone is aware of Kevin Hastett's (Of Dow 36000 Fame) laughable claims about how worker wages will rise in response to tax cuts. Yeah, right. LOL.

Republican leaders have claimed this as well. We'll shove a ton of gold coins into rich people's pockets, and some of it will fall out of their pockets and trickle down to the rest of us. Then we can scurry to collect it like when the Joker tossed out money to Gotham's people.

And it won't cost anything. It's basically a free lunch, kids.

34 minutes ago, Week said:

SHB starting off the press briefing by filibustering about tax reform. What the hell is this 'story'?

Condescending bullshit meant to show that even if the wealthy do benifit from a tax cut, they don't benifit the most by percentage. "If we punish the wealthy for making more they may go drink overseas...." ::barfs::

12 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Condescending bullshit meant to show that even of the wealthy do benifit from a tax cut, they don't benifit the most by percentage. "If we punish the welthy for making more they may go drink overseas...." ::barfs::

Yea, and where exactly are they going to go over seas? Oh that's right, countries that have no labor laws and pay the workers 12 cents an hour. 

19 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

Former House Speaker John Boehner says there are members of Congress who are Nazis. 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/10/29/john-boehner-trump-house-republican-party-retirement-profile-feature-215741

Fuck Boehner. Let's assume what he says is true. It means he willingly collaborated with Nazis during his reign as speaker. You don't get applause for speaking out, after you've left the building. Same category as Corker. Or Spicer. Can somebody explain to me why on earth Colbert included him in his Emmy gig?

36 minutes ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

The Papadopoulos thing is indeed jawdropping.

Here's a lawyer (though mainly copyright) reading and discussing this on youtube.

I’ll have to watch the video later, but you don’t have to be a rocket scientist or a lawyer to figure out how this development undermines just about every talking point and narrative the Trump team has tried to push.

43 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I think it was real time (or shortly before). Mueller is running a tight ship and I don't see any reason why they'd inform them ahead of time.

I was asking more about the Papadopoulos situation. That’s a lot more damning and I haven’t heard about how secret it exactly was.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was asking more about the Papadopoulos situation. That’s a lot more damning and I haven’t heard about how secret it exactly was.

Well the Mueller camp sure did one hell of a job keeping that one under wraps. Seems like all the media attention was on Flynn and then Manafort.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The narrative pushed by SHB is:

• GP was a volunteer on the campaign on a foreign policy council that met only once
  • Any reporting by the media about GP's role in the campaign is wrong (e.g. pictures taken with Trump/GP, Trump complimenting and listing GP as on his foreign policy team)
  • GP was working on his own and his outreach on behalf of the Russians was rejected / ignored within the campaign
    • No evidence provided that it was rejected or there was any concern that somebody was trying to engage with a foreign entity

Three people connected with the campaign are in legal trouble. Flynn and son have to be next in the crosshairs. Who knows what awaits Kush and JR? But everythig is fine and dandy at the WH and they expect the investigation to be winding down and whatabouthillary?

Archived