RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Ringing in 2018

249 posts in this topic

I've been fishing around for a new show to hook me. Two episodes of The Chi and quite good so far. The lives of interconnected residents in inner city Chicago and how an event affects them. I've also been watching The Pact (Pakt) and Halfworlds from HBO Europe and HBO Asia, respectively. The Pact is a Polish thriller about a government conspiracy a journalist is uncovering and Halfworlds is a joint Indonesian and Thai production about the crossing of the parallel worlds of humans and demons from Indonesian mythology. The Pact is a bit formulaic so far, but Halfworlds is fun.

I saw Downsizing and thought it was...pretty bad.  It had a strange tone where certain parts felt out of place and like it couldn't decide exactly what kind of movie it was. 

47 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I saw Downsizing and thought it was...pretty bad.  It had a strange tone where certain parts felt out of place and like it couldn't decide exactly what kind of movie it was. 

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’ve heard. Kind of disappointing since I’ve liked every movie Alexander Payne has done. 

(Re)started watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, light and lovely and genuinely funny at times. I've seen the first few episodes some years ago, but it is still a good experience starting at the beginning.

Don't know if this is coming out in 2018, so I'll post it here.

Awesome! I've read this novel and it was the first thing I thought about when Trump was elected.

David Simon Is Adapting Philip Roth’s The Plot Against America, About Life Under a Xenophobic, Anti-Semitic President, Into a Miniseries\

Saw The Post last weekend and greatly enjoyed it. It reminded me a bit of Lincoln, not in content, but the way it was put together like a fine machine and hummed along nicely. (was a bit garbled in the start, but quickly picked up) Streep was amazing in this.

A friend called me and said that I really had to watch the pilot for Knightfall. He said I would understand and boy did I ever :lol: That was almost to painful to watch. Horrific VFX, bad acting, shoddy dialogue, weird editing you name it, this pilot had it all. I'm almost tempted to watch more of it, just to see how ridiculous it will eventually become. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, dbunting said:

I just started Peaky Blinders today, got three episodes in. Being American (or it's just me) it's tough to understand some of the dialogue with the thick accents. Also, is it just me or are the music bits way louder than the speaking parts? Seems like I keep adjusting my volume.

Adding my previous comment here due to the ridiculousness of it...I had mentioned Taboo in it, regarding the hard to understand accents, then deleted them. I then get to Season 2 of Peaky Blinders and guess who shows up!!!!???? Tom freaking Hardy and an accent! Does anyone know if this performance had any influence on him getting the Taboo role?

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

A friend called me and said that I really had to watch the pilot for Knightfall. He said I would understand and boy did I ever :lol: That was almost to painful to watch. Horrific VFX, bad acting, shoddy dialogue, weird editing you name it, this pilot had it all. I'm almost tempted to watch more of it, just to see how ridiculous it will eventually become. 

It really is a special kind of remarkable. I wanted so badly for it to be good. Oh well, hopefully it ends up at least better than The Bastard Executioner. However,

Spoiler

that angry mob scene where that one guy blasts that little kid in the face with the rock had me in tears. The editing seemed so bad, as to almost be an extremely late addition after everything was wrapped. The siege soldiers trying to scale the walls of Acre with ladders was also hilarious since the Templars were all mounted and lined up in full battle formation just waiting to charge them.