What was the point of Jorah contracting greyscale?

Onion Hound

I always thought that grey scale would some how be key in the battle with the white walkers, but now that Jorah is cured, that doesn't seem to be the case. Nothing really happened with Dany while Jorah was gone that wouldn't have happened if he were with her. And Jorah didn't spread the disease.

The story line was somewhat important to Sam, and probably one of the reasons Sam left the citadel. But, I still think there has to be a better reason that the story tellers would give Jorah grey scale. What am I missing, why was this important?

Judging by show only, looks like it wasn't important.

Never thought it'd be important on a large scale, but it probably should've mattered more in a character/narrative sense; if there should be anything to Greyscale that's somehow important to the epic stuff, I'd be looking around the area of why those stone men are specifically sent to the ruins of Valyria (which is obviously an important place).

If they go there in S8, maybe that'll figure into things somehow.

There was no reason.

They got rid of a bunch of plot lines, so they decided to merge aspects oof certain characters with others.

JonCon getting greyscale made sense, because it increases the importance of Aegon's Reconquista (The Last Blackfyre Rebellion; #faegon), giving the griffin lord a last chance at glory, seeing his "friends son" to his "rightful place." It'll probably be the last thing he sees.

21 hours ago, Ran said:

I've a vague recollection that the way they did it, having Dany send him away, was to give Iain Glen time to film something else.

The final resident evil movie? Can't remember if they were close...

I thought it was to give Jorah a reason to sell himself back into slavery so he could be in the fighting pits. 

Will be interesting next year though when Jorah finds that the two people he credits for saving his life are in contlict due to Dany executing Sam’s father and brother. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure Jorah would've sold himself back into slavery, greyscale or not. As mention, I'd see Sam getting more upset over the fact that there's a claimant to the throne who executes people summarily by burning them alive than the fact that it was his father. Dickon didn't seem overly mean to Sam, but he was the beneficiary of Randyll's malice and indirectly party to it, so that's a gray area.

On 10.2.2018 at 5:56 AM, Lord Lannister said:

Don't call it pointless drama. We could've gotten twice as much Dorne if they cut out Jorah's subplot.

Double the Dorne. Double the fun.

On the topic: it was utterly pointless. Not using Oldtown or Hightower in the show was just lazy as fuck. 

9 hours ago, SirArthur said:

Double the Dorne. Double the fun.

On the topic: it was utterly pointless. Not using Oldtown or Hightower in the show was just lazy as fuck. 

The show generally is terrible at emphasizing the smaller houses. Which to be fair if an Unsullied saw a banner with a burning tree, they'd have no idea that it was a Lannister bannerman. Oldtown was used, as we saw Hightower, but other than it's association with Sam's Maester training, there was nothing else going on there. Only so much you can cram into ten or so hours a season.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

The show generally is terrible at emphasizing the smaller houses. 

"What is Lord Hightower doing?" Sam blurted. "My father always said he was as wealthy as the Lannisters, and could command thrice as many swords as any of Highgarden's other bannermen."

Sam V - a feast for crows

edit: I don't really care about Oldtown or Hightower. But Jorah in Oldtown is simply so much missed drama and plot opportunity. He could have had the cure everywhere. There was not even a point for Sam to move so far south. Other than get his family sword and cure greyscale. Oh yeah and read in the library about a divorce. The entire Sam plot and the entire Jorah plot just lies in a corner and whimpers: "so many missed opportunities for great moments". 

On 2/19/2018 at 3:43 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I suppose it's possible that they had something bigger planned but decided to scrap that later on. I'm pretty Jorah is around for the same reason Beric and Grey Worm are around: they need warriors for when they film the final battle. 

Pretty much this.  They probably got the idea while filming S4 and thinking of what is next to give JonCon's greyscale to Jorah because it is dramatic and mysterious, and then didn't know what to do with it when they later realized they wanted to keep Jorah around.

Archived