Footie 17

Mme Erzulie

I'm on the side that it will affect his ability to captain England, not due to his own inherent abilities or leadership skills but because the other players may dislike/mistrust him after this. Don't underestimate the importance of team morale and camaradarie. And it's not like nobody else can captain England. Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard & Rooney could all do an effective job.

I expect Capello will judge the effect, if any, this has on the players and will act accordingly.

Whichever way you slice it, it's still just behaving like a cock. It's not a criminal offence, like drunk-driving or assault.

You're right, but even in the Real World ™, behaving like a cock can justifiably lose you your job. If I had been behaving like this to a work colleague, and all my workmates knew it, and my job was as a team leader... it's fairly likely I would no longer be asked to lead that team. It's even possible that I could be sacked, depending on the nature of my job and whether there were alternative solutions available. In a small firm, where I couldn't be moved and in a role where my job performance might well depend on whether my workmates hated my guts, I'd expect to be polishing my CV if something like this happened. In a situation where my role was a voluntary honour which can be withdrawn for any reason, which this is, I'd fully expect to lose it.

The saving grace might be, as mentioned above, that England really need Terry on the pitch. If Cappello decides he wants to keep Terry, that'll be the end of it. I can't see the players refusing to accept his decision.

The saving grace might be, as mentioned above, that England really need Terry on the pitch. If Cappello decides he wants to keep Terry, that'll be the end of it. I can't see the players refusing to accept his decision.
Indeed. This being the utterly nonsensical world of football, anything can happen. If it suits the manager/team to keep him there, they'll find some excuse for justifying that decision and vice versa. Professional football has to be one of the most immoral industries ever known, so even if they off Terry and play the morally righteous card I'll know there's some ulterior motive for doing that.<_<

So, let's see, the window is closing. Celtic have just announced the transfers of D.Kamara from Fulham, Braafhied from Bayern and a young lad from Motherwell, Paul Slane. Add that with FC Seoul's Ki Sung-Yong, Thomas Rogne from Stabaek, Brondby's Morten Rasmussen and Jos Hooiveld from AIK Stockholm. And we have some decent fresh blood in the squad. I hope Tony Mowbray has chosen well, it may very well mean his career.

If there's anything that causes Terry to lose his honourary positions (which i seriously doubt) it'll be because of that enigmatic phenomenon the Role Model. When it comes to that, the FA are as zealous in protecting the interests of the young consumer as the sponsors.

It shouldn't automatically effect his role on the pitch. If someone's telling you to do stuff during a game then you're going to follow their lead (especially if you've been doing that for years) whether you trust them personally or not.

In talks to sign a couple of players: Ivan Ramis of Mallorca and Robbie Keane of Spurs. I'd expect more from the latter, rather than the former. I'm not sure what is going on with the Ramis deal currently, but Keane is apparently in Glasgow to hold talks. Here's hoping he takes a wage cut and joins us, 'cause there's no way in hell we'll be pay his reported 105k wages.

A little disappointed to see McDonald leave, though.

I think Dermot Desmond will pay half his wages personally.

This is a good signing for Celtic (and Scottish football) but a bad move for Robbie Keane. He's career has really gone down the shitter since he signed for Liverpool and his Christmas party in Dublin didn't help either. He'll score plenty of goals in the SPL but it's a huge step down for him. He hasn't been playing much recently and not particularly well when he did play so he's clearly fallen out of favour with Redknapp. One must wonder where he'll be after the summer.

Although this is a step down for Robbie, I suppose he does need games to keep his place in Ireland's World Cup squad... oh wait a minute...

Time for a new football thread.

Don't know how reliable Daily Mirror is, but this story doesn't paint England captain John Terry in the best light.

Always thought he looked like a dick, but wow. What a dick. Also, Liverpool played one of the few decent halves of football today against Bolton. They were all over us in the first half, in the second, Liverpool finally looked at least like a shadow of last season's team. Passes, dribbles, tackles, chance creation, confidence, it all suddenly seemed to come together. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

I just caught this story on Yahoo Sports.

Normally I'd say that such things are personal issues, but the fact that it was a teammate makes this cause for some concern. And he got her pregnant too. It's a betrayal of brotherhood and it makes it difficult for him to gain the trust and respect of his teammates that he needs to lead them on the pitch. He should definitely lose the armband for this. Probably not the type of distraction that English fans wanted to be talking about with the WC only months away.

One must wonder where he'll be after the summer.

Couldn't give a toss.

All I do care about is how the player acts with the fans in the meantime. Hopefully it won't go like our previous high stature loan signing...I don't want to hear words about him wanting to stay with the club, and then his lies being exposed, aka Craig Bellamy (the cunt) when he gets offered a deal, yet walks on. You either want to commit your future to the club, or you don't. Can't stand bullshitters.

I'm not sure why someone who insulted American tourists the day after 9-11, was charged for assault in a nightclub, took money for showing people around Chelsea football club and parks in disabled spaces still requires to be caught having an affair to lose the captain's armband.

He's a brilliant leader on the field, there is no doubt about that. There is a reason he's captain of Chelsea ahead of Lampard. Beckham won't be captain, he probably won't even start, Gerrard had a chance at being captain too, and he's hardly a great role model off the field either, and Rooney's temperament is still suspect.

There is a reason why he is the captain in the first place, he is obviously the best leader that England have. Obviously if he's lost the confidence of the players, then he can't continue but before this, the players trusted him and he's done a good job.

Archived