Defiance

SpaceChampion

I've watched the two episodes and I'd give it a 6.5/10 so far.

I really hope it doesn't turn out like Terra Nova.

The story needs evil badasses.

It is lacking in that. The CGI robot things don't seem real and none of the other races are that bad. Hell, none of the people seem that bad. Even the old granny seems ok. Not in a HBO "they are evil people you can emphasise with", they are just a bit soft and sesame street-like. I guess they are going for the trek/stargate angle but I think for the show to become something i really like it needs some kind of edge to it.

Hopefully the evil "i like being semi-naked" woman will show some teeth soon.

Hopefully the evil "i like being semi-naked" woman will show some teeth soon.

I dunno man, I considered Mr-I'm-Going-To-Murder-A-Family-For-Their-Mine dude at least a little bit closer to Marlo Stanfield than Oscar the Grouch. Still not as good as either though.

I was pleasantly surprised by this show. I have added it to the list of things to keep watching. Like solo I really like the knife-toting redhead.

Must say I am slightly perturbed by Jaime Murray's camera-induced nudism.

That was terrible, just a mess of cliches, plot holes, and poor character motivation.

Oh I can't wait. I'm on what amounts to my summer break, so I am filling myself with terrible, trashy shows. Gonna get some popcorn and have a blast.

edit: Ep did not disappoint, though it was better than ep2.

The problem is a just a lack of opitons. I don't watch this show because it is particularly good I watch it because I love Science Ficition and will give anything a chance, Its to bad I don't like Cop/Law shows but there you go.

So far I have to say I am enjoying the elements of the show that deal with the Castithans but if every episode is going to deal with the potiential destuction of the town and nothing else this is going to get really old really fast.

I actually enjoyed this episode more too. The final battle with the bugs was pretty crappy and anti-climatic though, but the development into the Ginger aliens' religion seemed cool enough, they have their own Greenseers apparently :P

Also, add a bit more evilness into Datak Tarr character and there's the anthagonist badass I wished for previously. I like the actor Tony Curran and I did love his fight scene this episode. He's also smart and his scheming with his hot wife is way too cool to go unnoticed.

Best episode yet in my opinion. Last week's had a strong finish but the nuclear plant nobody knew about was a bit weak.

This time we got more info on one of the alien races, some character development, and some advancement on the marriage subplot.

If I'm not misktaken, Kristie and her hubby-to-be were attacked by these hell bugs, and the hubby-to-be sat stunned and afraid while Kristie the Human fought it off with a torch until Daytek stepped in.

Observation: As Hubby-to-be and potentially Father-to-be, you have ONE job.

KILL THE BUG!

Thats ALL you have to do. I remember back in the day getting my poor Dad up at two a.m. on a sweltering August morning to kill a spider big enough to claim on your taxes.

They then proceed back to her house to tell her father that the boyfriend risked his life to save her when clearly it was th other way around, and Kristie/Lyanna went along with the lie.

Okay, I'm intrigued.

Hey, it's a more egalitarian world. Men can have insect phobias too!

They then proceed back to her house to tell her father that the boyfriend risked his life to save her when clearly it was th other way around, and Kristie/Lyanna went along with the lie.

Okay, I'm intrigued.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Was a bit of an odd lie, but it did work to bring her dad around. Surprised the son went along with it, thought he was going to confess.

My only major gripe with this episode was the ending music montage and the 'save the town' twist at the end. I get the feeling this is not the kind of show you'd want to marathon, if every episode ends in the same way.

My only major gripe with this episode was the ending music montage and the 'save the town' twist at the end. I get the feeling this is not the kind of show you'd want to marathon, if every episode ends in the same way.

They pulled the same montage shit with SG:U as well. I don't know if they get paid for putting these songs in or the show is owned by the same music label but it does bug me. Then again I really hate musical montages at the end of episodes as it is always overdone. Sons of Anarchy insists on doing it pretty much every episode where all the characters mope around in silence for 3 mins. Hate it.

The episode was fine though. I do have to admit it doesn't grab my full attention though and I find myself doing other things while it is on. I guess this is what happens when you're not used to watching adverts.

It looks like each episode is hopefully going to focus on an alien race, which means it's probably going to be 8-10 episodes before any meat is put on the show. It'll probably be worth it in the long run as we do need to know more about the aliens before they can milk some bigger ideas out of them. A smarter writing team would have found a more subtle way of doing it without the "this episode is alien x" and mixed it together more but this is acceptable. It just means I have to be a bit more patient as there are signs every now and then that this could be a good show.

The "town is at threat" thing is growing tired. I guess the increased threats are due to the shield going down? Otherwise the whole town should be a hell of a lot more savvy to these kinds of threats.

I'm still not sure how the world works, The badlands sound dangerous but I'm assuming their are other Defiance-like towns dotted around (probably never having the benefit of a shield). I'm thinking wild west/Mad Max style places. I'm sure Antarctica will come into play as a fully developed super power but that's not going to come into play until the end of season 1. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll get to juicier things around mid-season. Syfy shows used to have a knack of nothing much happening until episode 11 - then the shit hitting the fan only to be resolved by episode 13 and then taking it easy until the 2-part season finale. A dangerous game if you aren't certain of having a full season.

Archived