Defiance

SpaceChampion

I'm still not sure how the world works, The badlands sound dangerous but I'm assuming their are other Defiance-like towns dotted around (probably never having the benefit of a shield). I'm thinking wild west/Mad Max style places. I'm sure Antarctica will come into play as a fully developed super power but that's not going to come into play until the end of season 1. Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll get to juicier things around mid-season. Syfy shows used to have a knack of nothing much happening until episode 11 - then the shit hitting the fan only to be resolved by episode 13 and then taking it easy until the 2-part season finale. A dangerous game if you aren't certain of having a full season.

Wasn't there a reference to some kind of human united federation place in the first episode?

Wasn't there a reference to some kind of human united federation place in the first episode?

I can't recall. You'd think if it existed they'd try and bring others into the fold. Although the emphasis ay be on human in which case they may be hanging out on their own continent.

To be honest I'd think there'd be a hell of a lot more resentment from humans towards these alien races - especially as they indirectly caused the planet to be screwed up. I guess those robot things may have helped smooth things over but I wouldn't be surprised to see an alienist pocket of humans somewhere.

Hey, it's a more egalitarian world. Men can have insect phobias too!

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Was a bit of an odd lie, but it did work to bring her dad around. Surprised the son went along with it, thought he was going to confess.

No no. It can't be allowed to be.

Daddys cannot be afraid of bugs, he must come charging into the room armed with a shoe, and a piece of tupperware for capture in the event it can be caught alive and "relocated." :P

Seriously though, I don't understand why the lie is not a red flag for Kristy that perhaps these people are not what they appear to be, and the boy clearly did nothing but sit there.

This show reminds me of the beginning of Babylon 5. They are building and building with this show. The graphics are roughly the same, and while I applaud the ambition I think they should tone it back to what they are properly able to do - just get a good sense of scope. I like where the show is going, building upon the races and the characters. It's funny, for years people have been applauding some sort of return to this sort of sci-fi, and then when it arrives all I hear is bitching. I guess I don't care about the bitching, I like the show, and I like where it is and where it is going.

Been meaning to comment on this for awhile, but it really blew my mind when they refer to the Casinthians as "haints," because that is a very old term for ghost.

My dad use to say that his Great Grandfather use to swear there were "haints" in the attic.

So, very interesting terminology.

Also, agree that it's a bit like Babylon 5, but do agree about using the musical montage's sparingly.

losing interest. basically, the main guy became a part of the town too quickly. anything that was going on before he got here has been forgotten as he needs to solve the problem of the week for the town each episode

I actually think the second did a better job of fleshing out the characters, especially the "Targaryen-like," awkward hug between the half-naked Mother, and her Son, as well as the Dateks origins.

Does anyone else think the Tarr family look like Targaryens?

Did you read the thread?

I like the show, sorta has a "cowboy" feel1. Not interested in the game.

I cannot stand REVOLUTION. IMO just ridiculous.2

1 if it had a cowboy feel, I would like it better. Not giving up, but not much liking it much. Sci fi shows often take a year to find them selfs. As to SG:U was a good show, but it was a slow moving show. Even the ep's took long time too long for the first season. The second build upon SG:1 and was better for it.

2. it isn't good enough to be called ridiculous. They go from Atlanta all the way to the mid west in couple days? And got there a day behind helicopter? that left before they did? Saturday morning cartoons have better storylines.

This show reminds me of the beginning of Babylon 5. They are building and building with this show. The graphics are roughly the same, and while I applaud the ambition I think they should tone it back to what they are properly able to do - just get a good sense of scope. I like where the show is going, building upon the races and the characters. It's funny, for years people have been applauding some sort of return to this sort of sci-fi, and then when it arrives all I hear is bitching. I guess I don't care about the bitching, I like the show, and I like where it is and where it is going.

I agree. The likes of B5 and Farscape all took a while to get going and for me it was only when I went back and rewatched them after seeing the whole series that I realised they had a good sense of where they were going from the start (and I guess I was more forgiving because the rest of it was awesome). The show doesn't really have an excuse for having SFX at the level of a 90s TV show though,

Yes. :D

I'm becoming quite fond of Defiance when i just accept it as some cheesy sci-fi fun. I really, REALLY the opening theme for it, it's just ACE.

Yeah. Sometimes I'm absolutely fine with a fun show. Not everything has to be the Wire or Breaking Bad, The show is still a little clumsy in places but no worse than "faliing skies" or "revolution". "arrow" from what I've seen so far does an excellent job at being "ok" which sounds like a criticism but it really isn't.

ya, been watching revolution and it's like background noise, not too interested in it really. but i find myself a little bit more interested with defiance. + the background and history on the wiki for it is really cool and interesting.

i watched the first season of falling skies and just completely lost interest, i feel a bit bad for this really as it was an all right show, and i did enjoy the first season, but now have no real interest to invest time watching the rest of it.

i hope defiance shapes up to be something a little better than ''ok'' which it currently is at the moment.

im gonna repeat, that opening theme is so fucking cool, seriously i listen to it on repeat all the time.

:bowdown:

ya, been watching revolution and it's like background noise, not too interested in it really. but i find myself a little bit more interested with defiance. + the background and history on the wiki for it is really cool and interesting.

i watched the first season of falling skies and just completely lost interest, i feel a bit bad for this really as it was an all right show, and i did enjoy the first season, but now have no real interest to invest time watching the rest of it.

i hope defiance shapes up to be something a little better than ''ok'' which it currently is at the moment.

im gonna repeat, that opening theme is so fucking cool, seriously i listen to it on repeat all the time.

:bowdown:

If you like that, you should check out Bear's Battlestar Galactica soundtrack, especially (Seasons 2 to 4) if you haven't already - this track is something that could have come right out of that. If anything, it's maybe a bit too recognizable for Bear McCreary fans, but it's pretty good. Nowhere near his most interesting work though.

i watched the first season of falling skies and just completely lost interest1, i feel a bit bad for this really as it was an all right show, and i did enjoy the first season, but now have no real interest to invest time watching the rest of it.

i hope defiance shapes up to be something a little better than ''ok'' which it currently is at the moment2.

1. Well the end of the FS 2nd season, makes this season at very least, worth checking out.

2. Hope,

I agree. The likes of B5 and Farscape all took a while to get going and for me it was only when I went back and rewatched them after seeing the whole series that I realised they had a good sense of where they were going from the start (and I guess I was more forgiving because the rest of it was awesome). The show doesn't really have an excuse for having SFX at the level of a 90s TV show though,

yeah, farscape didn't really get moving until "DNA Mad Scientist," and didn't blow the doors off until season 1 finale.

Yeah, Farscape had a rocky start, but at least it had charismatic actors (and muppets) playing colourful characters. The only character in Defiance I find interesting to watch right now is the Sherrif's adopted daughter, and I suspect my reasons for that are rather shallow.

Looking at the wikipedia article for the show, there's tons of backstory and worldbuilding they could (and should) slip into these early episodes, instead we get inane kidnapping plots and stories about how empowering prostitution is.

Oh and weird children's cave paintings. Still the most interesting part of the episode, but really as far as making progress towards explaining mysteries this is just stalling (note: do not take lessons on how to handle mysteries from the numpties who wrote Lost).

Archived