Better Call Saul -- Breaking Bad spin-off confirmed

Francis Buck

That was good. Best episode yet. I wonder if we'll meet the crooked vet again.

Spoiler: The crooked vet grows up to be Badger.

The timeline was a bit confusing, but excellent episode. Banks will for sure be nominated.

I'm not worried about it being a prequel will "spoil" the plot. It's a character-focused show, as was BB.

This episode was downright fantastic. I never expected this out of stone faced Mike.

'I broke mah boy' - I'm getting a little sad when thinking of his relationship with Jesse in Breaking Bad.

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that! Great context for why Jesse grew on Mike so quickly (well... y'know after he got over the whole idea of killing Jesse because he was a liability).

I definitely loved this episode. We got more emotional outbursts out of Mike in this episode than in all of Breaking Bad, IMO. I felt him blowing up on his daughter in law ("my son wasn't dirty!") a hell of a lot more than him blowing up on Walter at the end ("we had a good thing!")

My one criticism would be when he actually shot the cops... I didn't like that he paused and talked to them for dramatic value. When he said "smart, that's what I would do, etc..." Maybe I'm biased by his character in BB, and maybe he's a lot more hot-headed at this period, but it just doesn't seem like him to take that kind of unnecessary and stupid risk just to rub it in to your victims. It was pretty cheesy, and felt like it was trying to be cathartic just for its own sake. But then, you could easily argue that Mike is willing to take that level of risk when it comes to something more emotionally connected to him. (Same argument could apply to explaining why Gus risked injecting Hector himself, but I thought that that was also ridiculous.)

Also the part with Kaylee confused me. This is supposed to be 2002, right? Roughly 5-6 years before Breaking Bad? Shouldn't Kaylee be an infant, or not born yet? She seems basically the same age as she does in BB.

Anyway, I love this episode and can't stop thinking about it.

That is my guess as well. From the way he was counseling his son I would go one further. I doubt Mike ever did anything super crooked, instead I think he might have made a few drug-dealer's billfolds disappear, but that was more to curry favor with his brethren and to fit in.

I guess I don't understand Saul's financial situation. Even as a public defender, he was making $750/day or so, right, based on the courthouse scenes? Why does he continue to live in a single room behind a nail salon and drive such a horrible car? Maybe he's not banking like his brother did, but that's well above average income.

I guess I don't understand Saul's financial situation. Even as a public defender, he was making $750/day or so, right, based on the courthouse scenes? Why does he continue to live in a single room behind a nail salon and drive such a horrible car? Maybe he's not banking like his brother did, but that's well above average income.

It's not $750 per day (unless he was truly half-assing it) - it's $750 per case. I don't know how many hours he put into each case, but they add up after a while.

Christ that was a great episode - Bank's was phenomenal and once again (despite only showing up for a few minutes) Odenkirk always has the funniest lines and the best deliverance.

Also got a strong godfather vibe from this one "I know it was you.", hidden revolvers and Mike's "I broke ma boy" reminded me a lot of Vito's "look at how they massacred my boy"

I will echo everyone else here, great great episode. Couldn't stop watching. Philly cops seem to know he did it but have nothing to prove it, likely will leave it alone. I think Mike ends up gicing most of his money to his daughter in law to help support her and that is what he does his later crimes for, to leave her financially set.

Loved how Saul was all Mr. good guy and abiding by the law until he finds out what is going on and then he spills the coffee.

My one criticism would be when he actually shot the cops... I didn't like that he paused and talked to them for dramatic value. When he said "smart, that's what I would do, etc..." Maybe I'm biased by his character in BB, and maybe he's a lot more hot-headed at this period, but it just doesn't seem like him to take that kind of unnecessary and stupid risk just to rub it in to your victims.

I'm thinking he wanted to be sure they did it.

Seeing Mike cry just about broke **me**.

:(

For real. That scene on the couch was intense. Like others have said, this is pretty much an Emmy winning performance by Jonathan Banks as Mike in this episode. I didn't even mind Saul was really a just a glorified cameo in his own series. Odenkirk gave a great performance though. That short scene in the car was a brilliant piece of writing.

is this the timeline?

Matty is killed

some time later the widow moves to ABQ

some time later Mike kills the two cops

Mike immediately travels to ABQ

Mike heals up and starts working as a parking attendant.

some time later the widow finds out about the cops getting killed and talks to the Philly PD

the Philly PD show up to talk to Mike

Mike confesses to the widow

is this the timeline?

Matty is killed

some time later the widow moves to ABQ

some time later Mike kills the two cops

Mike immediately travels to ABQ

Mike heals up and starts working as a parking attendant.

some time later the widow finds out about the cops getting killed and talks to the Philly PD

the Philly PD show up to talk to Mike

Mike confesses to the widow

Yes, except the reason Octavia called the Philly PD was she found all that cash that Matty had hidden away. She figured that the cash, Matty's death plus the death of the two other cops had to be connected (she was right, just not in the manner she thought). This was the reason Mike blew up at her insisting that Matty wasn't a dirty cop.

Archived