did jaime and theon get what they deserved?

Lord Warwyck

OK, post the quote then. I bet 100 bucks you won't be able to find it.

Jaime got away too easily, the scumbag is fine right now, just forced to use his brain for a change, not nearly enough for all the thousands of deaths he's caused.

You're right. I must have been thinking of the 'my family owes yours a debt' earlier in the book. I just checked the KiTN declaration scene in my GOT book, and Theon is not listed specifically in the chants, but neither is he listed as not participating in the sword drawing and declaration. But you are right, it's not a specific quote. I could have been thinking of the show. He did go to the Iron Islands as an envoy of King Robb, I think it is fair to assume that Theon is counted as the many present in this scene that drew their sword and declared Robb King. But yes, you are right, I was mistaken, it's not a specific quote. My mistake.

In terms of body parts lost, each suffered the removal of that which most lead to ego and was abused in one form or another for selfish gain. That's not uncommon in literature or considerations of justice.

Theon has suffered extreme and brutal torture... something he didn't do to others to my knowledge. Jaime has suffered diminished renown and respect on the exact basis he would have used (lacking skill at arms, a man is lesser). In that sense Jaime's suffering is perfectly fine whereas Theon's is not a matter of punishment fitting the crime in either specifics or degree.

Both have killed. It is a tenuous position to apply modern principles of justice to actions taken in a different era (or world). Still, both are shown to be reviled by their peers in various ways. As such, it seems clear they were at the very least breaking moral code to some degree. Jaime's actions were largely reactionary to save his family (including himself) or even citizens of KL. Theon's actions were also taken to benefit family (and himself). In both cases, war is a big factor as well, which carries inherent releases from common moral codes to all but the most naïve. In addition, both are reviled, in part, due to important context being unknown to others and the crimes that have most led to current positions are crimes they didn't commit (Jaime not caring for his vows to Catelyn and Theon murdering the young Starks).

It's quite the mixed bag when it comes to these matters. On the whole, I'd say Jaime's punishment has been fine to date whereas Theon's has been quite excessive and cruel.

If Jaime is killed by LS for her belief that he is in part responsible for the continued unknown fates of her daughters... it would be no less than he deserves our she would deal out if she knew he was the one who crippled Bran.

I'm always surprised by this fire and brimstone stuff, but I guess I shouldn't be. No, in my opinion, no one 'deserves' punishment or suffering- these things are wholly lamentable and are to be undertaken only out of the necessity of preventing and discouraging further evil acts.

I am surprised as well, TBH.

What does it serve, to punish or make to suffer these characters? Will it make Bran walk, or bring back the children Reek killed and Theon pretended were Bran and Rickon? Is Jaime's hand really punishment for his sins, or merely a catalyst for an identity shift? And poor Theon - I pity anyone who ends up in Ramsay's hands. And if this is punishment, they what, pray tell, is poor Jeyne's crime?

Its called compassion. You might have heard about it.

No haven't heard of it. Thank YOU for bringing it to my attention.

THATS called sarcasm, maybe you've heard of IT. Annoying isn't it? Smug isn't it? Makes me seem like kind of a giant asshat doesn't it? Consider that next time you make that kind of post.

Theon... Theon, Theon, Theon. Even though what he did was damn unforgivable, I have to say nobody deserves what he's going through. Nobody.

Jaime, on the other hand, has come away pretty damn lightly, if you ask me. He murdered Ned's entourage (men he had no reason to hate, and in doing so, escalated tensions that were already nearly at war-point). He's done a hundred other despicable things, and mostly for egotistical reasons. Losing a hand is getting off incredibly easy.

No haven't heard of it. Thank YOU for bringing it to my attention.

THATS called sarcasm, maybe you've heard of IT. Annoying isn't it? Smug isn't it? Makes me seem like kind of a giant asshat doesn't it? Consider that next time you make that kind of post.

Thank you for bringing them to my notice.

The point of both of those characters (IMO) is that people, in general, do not lack for redeeming qualities, and in Theon's case; being left in the hands of a brutal psychopath is never a good thing.

Jaime getting his hand cut off is a strange form of poetic justice for those that hate him, but it's pretty hard to call what happened to Theon justice in any sense of the word.

You're right. I must have been thinking of the 'my family owes yours a debt' earlier in the book. I just checked the KiTN declaration scene in my GOT book, and Theon is not listed specifically in the chants, but neither is he listed as not participating in the sword drawing and declaration. But you are right, it's not a specific quote. I could have been thinking of the show. He did go to the Iron Islands as an envoy of King Robb, I think it is fair to assume that Theon is counted as the many present in this scene that drew their sword and declared Robb King. But yes, you are right, I was mistaken, it's not a specific quote. My mistake.

Actually, it makes absolute no sense for Theon to declare Robb king. As how his message was the offer of an alliance that would deliver an independent Iron Islands with Balon as their sole king and Theon as his heir. And it would hardly be any true independence if Theon (the future king of the Iron Islands) had already declared Robb to be his king.

My Answer to OP

Theon: no as nobody deserves what Theon received. Especially, seeing how the one punishing him is the actual individual who performed the worst of Theon's deeds and is a thousand times worse person then Theon.

Jaime: Somewhat, as his punishment is not as excessive as Theon's, however there is the fact that it was only performed to satisfy a sadistic freak that negates it being any type of justice.

In the cruel and rather unforgiving world of Westeros,I think any action done for survival of self and family is justified,especially during times of war.

Jaime can never be forgiven for throwing Bran out of window and getting his hand chopped off is a disaster in the world he lives in. but he deserves more..not death..he got through since he belonged to the wealthiest family in Westeros and because of the post he held.

A true punishment for Jaime would be,to be shunned/disowned by the Lannister family ,stripped of all titles and left to live out the life of a common man..but also a cripple.

I have a lot of sympathy for Theon's actions..he was almost forced into accepting that he is to be loyal to the ever so kind Starks when infact he was merely their prisoner.But there is no forgiveness for killing those kids, but he clearly not the only person in Westeros guilty of that..that too during wartime when there is alot at stake.

He certainly did not deserve what has happend to him..he has been completely broken down..shattered.

Archived