Disney's Frozen

Jaxom 1974

Eh, I'm not exactly up in arms about it - I just don't think the movie is that good and so worth feeling strongly about one way or another - but I don't see slut-shaming here. Because she doesn't actually get to be a slut. She doesn't get a romance. Where's the sex? All we've got here is the sexualization of a female character in a terribly narrow, conventional, thin, blonde, feminine, sparkly, male-gaze sort of way, and the subtext that this is empowering. And there's not even any love interest for this to be empowering with regard to. I do recognize the tension around attractiveness and the way hewing to convention that way can really, well, feel good. It's something a feminist conversation needs to take into account as a very genuine need women have and not to just dismiss it. But I also think thoughtlessly embracing and promoting physical beauty - an utterly unrealistic, conventional, barbie-doll vision of beauty - as a source of strength and self-actualization for women in a children's movie with no particular romantic tangent and then calling that feminist...yeah, i'm going to complain about it.

I think she didn't have a love interest because the point IMO was for her to love herself. Because all she probably thought was that she was a monster that her parents were ashamed of, and they hid her away to be a loner. I just don't think just because her dress isn't full of crinoline, makes it THAT provocative

I think the progress of Elsa's powers had a lot to do with her pushing it away and being afraid of herself. Maybe it would have gotten stronger even if she and everybody else embraced it and she were not locked away, but she would have learned to control it better. Her fear of it just made everything that much worse.

I think the progress of Elsa's powers had a lot to do with her pushing it away and being afraid of herself. Maybe it would have gotten stronger even if she and everybody else embraced it and she were not locked away, but she would have learned to control it better. Her fear of it just made everything that much worse.

Yeah, that's how I saw it as well.

Frozen makes more than The Dark Knight Rises

Another recent billion dollar-reaching blockbuster, 'Skyfall', sits just head of the dominant Disney flick, which has amassed $1,108,561,013 and is the biggest Bond film in its lengthy history.

There's obviously only a short way to go for 'Frozen' to bypass it, especially after it continues to rake in profits all over the world.

Frozen directors discuss possible sequel

It's becoming more and more likely that, thanks to the film's monumental success, Disney will return to Arendelle for further 'Frozen' tales.

I was disappointed and our son was bored through most of it. My wife enjoyed the goofy rom-com arc of Anna. I had expected better from the reviews.

The animation was great and it was nice to see them confound the obvious romance trope. But the characters were so bland or under-developed, the songs were largely forgettable, mostly pointless, over-long and often over-emoted, the plot was very simple and we still had the ridiculously convenient love-is-the-answer end. Like a lot of musicals, the plot just shuffles you along to the next big number and they throw in some random light numbers to ease the tension before the next big, clenched fists, Celine Dion-ish crescendo.

It felt like a poorly executed rip-off of Wicked. I'm sure this will be rushed to a stage production. In fact, they probably only made the movie to launch the stage production.

With Let It Go as the key passage of the movie, I was surprised that Elsa's new look was so sexualized. It left me wondering if the story was a metaphor for adolescents attempting to repress budding sexuality. And yet, that's a demographic that is unlikely to watch a Disney animated movie.

"Frozen" Passes "Skyfall", Now 8th On All-Time Worldwide Box-Office Chart

The phenomenon needs only $8 million more to pass "The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King" and $12 million more to pass "Transformers: Dark Of The Moon" on the All-Time World Box-Office Chart.

That would put "Frozen" at 6th on the All-Time World Box-Office Chart, where it will in all likelihood end it's climb.

I saw Frozen three times until now.

Must say, the movie isn't something special, but the backround is incredible profound. A friend of mine and me have psychoanalysed Frozen and have found out amazing things. I you read the rune stones from the deceased royal couple you get their names, for example. They were called Akthar and Idunn. Akthar means "the families warrior" and Idunn is the old germanic goddess of eternal youth.
They were on their way to Germany to attend the wedding of Rapunzel. From the chronological data it would fit. The sunken ship is probably the wreck which can be seen in the movie 'Arielle'. And there's much more backround.

The animation is awesome, too. I watched the film on Blu Ray and it was like I could touch the clothes. You knew exactly from which material was every garment. They have animated every damn hair.
All in all, the makers have taken great care.

I guess I belong to the minority that thought that it was good, but nothing special.

... for real?

My parents would buy me a blond Barbie doll and a light blue dress for her, write "Elsa" on the packages and then tell me to use my imagination.

And I know those dresses are supposed to be toys, but gawds they offend my fashion sense.

I guess I belong to the minority that thought that it was good, but nothing special.

I'm with you. I thought it would be better, but the story was a bit of a bummer.

Archived