Penny Dreadful, Showtime's Victorian Horror Show

Sci-2

Probably? Maybe that's what I misinterpreted as Vanessa and Sir Malcolm? I should make a point to rewatch that seance scene now that so much of the backstory has been revealed.

What an excellent episode. My stomach turned during the trepanning scene - it was too much for me after all the horrific "treatments" she endured. Unsettling...

Yeah, I think I misinterpreted it too.

Anyway, agree with everyone that this was a great episode (didn't miss the others a-tall...well maybe Brona, whom I'm moved by.)

So that scene in the garden maze that Vanessa witnessed, that was one of the things she mentioned during the sceance?

I definitely misunderstood that, too. . . I thought Vanessa walked in on Mina and Sir Malcom, but was wrong.

Probably? Maybe that's what I misinterpreted as Vanessa and Sir Malcolm? I should make a point to rewatch that seance scene now that so much of the backstory has been revealed.

What an excellent episode. My stomach turned during the trepanning scene - it was too much for me after all the horrific "treatments" she endured. Unsettling...

No joke, how could any of those make anyone better?

A little off-topic, but I'm sure people in the future will be asking the same thing with at least some of today's medical procedures.

Yeah, true. Especially if they watch a bunch of episodes of Dr. Oz. My mom always quotes him at me, which doesn't help!

I caught up with the series yesterday but am not particularly impressed. The setting, the atmosphere, the mood and Eva Green are superb - I love the gothicness of it all.

But is anyone else feeling that the story pace is glacial? I watched 5 out of 8 episodes and so far it seems we've spend more time dealing with (or distracted by) the sub-plots and characterisations than the over-arching plot which I assume is finding Mina.

A let down after the best episode of the season.... great ending though

I think any episode would likely be a letdown after last, though I think this was better than the others (except for the seance one).

"Somnolent obeisance". Yes, that's a phrase I'll be sneaking in during casual conversations.

I caught up with the series yesterday but am not particularly impressed. The setting, the atmosphere, the mood and Eva Green are superb - I love the gothicness of it all.

But is anyone else feeling that the story pace is glacial? I watched 5 out of 8 episodes and so far it seems we've spend more time dealing with (or distracted by) the sub-plots and characterisations than the over-arching plot which I assume is finding Mina.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The pacing belongs to the Victorian period for sure. . . After the first 200 pages, things finally begin to pick up. Half of today's novels are practically over by that point. It's difficult to get through at first. I went back and watched a couple of the earlier episodes and found all sorts of things foreshadowing later events. From this perspective, maybe the earlier episodes are working much harder than I gave them credit for, and the series itself is pretty tight.

Am thinking that these little, mundane things are meant to build into explosive moments, which are starting to come to fruition. (Freud would have fun with that sentence.)

Am I wrong, or did Frankenstein quote Shelly?

A let down after the best episode of the season.... great ending though

I think he did! ETA: One review says it's Percy Shelley, from Adonis.

They took the ship scene right out of Stoker.

I think any episode would likely be a letdown after last, though I think this was better than the others (except for the seance one).

"Somnolent obeisance". Yes, that's a phrase I'll be sneaking in during casual conversations.

:laugh:

I'm biased, though, because the interaction between Chandler and Brona was quite poignant. Though the casual 'I went out with Mr. Gray' was a little funny. . . just business as usual for Chandler, apparently.

That dirty, abandoned scene with Vanessa and Dorian was terrific (not much 'somnolent obeisance' there). Though much in keeping with some Victorian thought, I am frustrated by the intersection of sex/evil. . . I get the roots for it, just am quite sad for Vanessa (and a little for Dorian, too) -- that the moment of ecstasy is also opening the door to evil. What happened to happy, dirty sex? It wouldn't fit with the story though, so not to be. . . Think it's interesting that this is the moment she's most vulnerable.

And Dorian, admiring his portrait. Vanessa's permanently marked him.

ETA: forgot the spoiler tags, sorry!!

So... I thought this episode was absolutely amazing. I'm not even sure what else needs to be said.

One question though as I don't speak latin: I presume Ethen was doing the "the power of christ compels you" and not the last rites. Is that what he was saying? I wonder if he was a priest before he was a werewolf soldier.

My Latin is suuuuper rusty but I don't think that was "the power of Christ compels you" - I think it may have had something to do with St. Jude. I will rewatch and report back.

Yes this episode was fantastic and there was a lot of info to pick up and parse. Will definitely require additional viewings.

ETA: I'm almost positive that's an abbreviated version of the Prayer to St. Jude in Latin, but my google-fu is deserting me at the moment. I can find it in English, but not Latin.

6 shows in, so far so good.

Caliban's story more compelling that expected. Partly the actor. Alun Armstrong v. good as the resident altruist...so much so that I dread Cal disappointing him more than the monsters.

Dorian Gray least...i wish he didn't talk like the coffee shop crowd after intro-philosophy 101 quite so often. He's decent at interaction aside from that, but in no way conveys the sense of timelessness Gray is supposed to evince.

Studied a lot about Victorian psychology, especially for 'hysterics' but that portrayal was still devastatingly grim.

I thought this episode was really strong too; kept me glued to the seat till the end. I think Ethan shined in this ep, he was brilliant and that exorcism scene - very intense.

(Btw, cocaine for asthma sounds intriguing, wonder if my doctor has heard of this treatment :p )

Amazing episode. This is showing what Eva Green can do far, far better than Camelot ever did, to say the least. 110% commitment.

It's just a very sharp, very enjoyable show. I don't know how long it can run for without going off the rails, but this first season alone is a gift.

Archived