Penny Dreadful, Showtime's Victorian Horror Show

Sci-2

I haven't heard anything specific, but I think probably different cast, different story. Like True Detective, just the executive producers (Skyfall's Logan & Mendes) would stay the same and write it all.

Saw episode 1 last night and enjoyed kt. Glad tey're doing different stories every season - fed up with shows being dragged out and being cancelled without an ending. Disappojted Dracula got cancelled.

Saw episode 1 last night and enjoyed kt. Glad tey're doing different stories every season - fed up with shows being dragged out and being cancelled without an ending. Disappojted Dracula got cancelled.

Dracula wasn't that good though and if it's not careful Penny Dreadful might end up on that same road: slightly bland supernatural drama. But at least it has one more reason to watch than Dracula ever did:Eva Green, even when she's bouncing between hilarious, disgusting and terrifying.

Yes, it is in fact another anthology series.

Interesting how season long anthologies are becoming popular. I guess this show will stick to the same time period given the origin of the name though. I also guess they don't worry too much about another season until they see the ratings.

Ratings seem to be doing well enough. The idea sounds like to stick using public domain literary characters.

I can't find any info on Eva Green's or Billie Piper's characters, so perhaps they are original to the show? Or maybe just really obscure.

Nah, when someone offers you Superman you take it

Well, Keanu Reeves (w/ that last name how come he hasn't been Superman?) was offered a boat load of money to do Speed 2, but decided to do a crazy computer thing called the Matrix. In the speech to Grad's this week Charlie Day said he was offered a network job on a show called Life on a Stick, but decided to keep shooting scenes in his apartment w/ his friends, on what became "Its always Sunny in Philly". It isn't always about the part, its about the quality of the project.

Well, Keanu Reeves (w/ that last name how come he hasn't been Superman?) was offered a boat load of money to do Speed 2, but decided to do a crazy computer thing called the Matrix. In the speech to Grad's this week Charlie Day said he was offered a network job on a show called Life on a Stick, but decided to keep shooting scenes in his apartment w/ his friends, on what became "Its always Sunny in Philly". It isn't always about the part, its about the quality of the project.

Except The Matrix wasn't some indie work. Reading the article Hartnett basically...went away. And predictably, his capital shrunk until he got here- not that TV is stigmatized that much anymore.

Also: Speed 2 is not Superman. Not that he was concerned with "quality" it was an aesthetic decision; he just didn't like those films.

For every success there's Vin Diesel doing Riddick 2 instead of his other franchises and it under-performing. And for every Diesel -someone that actually recovered fast- there's an anti-Diesel. IIRC Diesel only got the rights back to his pet series because he agreed to do a cameo in the Fast and Furious series. Which is now the car franchise.

One can like whatever they want- and I understand that "real" actors dislike the time commitment (see:Chris Evans, possible Daniel Craig)- that goes without saying, however if you want to take about picking films based on practical concerns (which you imply by bringing up The Matrix) then there's a reason people do the big studio films. There's a reason people do fucking Superman.

There's only 8 episodes of this, right? With the 3rd episode it still doesn't feel like the story has gotten really started.

Yea, I'm not really sure what's going on at this point. I haven't really been paying attention either.

There's only 8 episodes of this, right? With the 3rd episode it still doesn't feel like the story has gotten really started.

I'd disagree. The team has formed and Dracula seems to be the big bad (Possibly having Murray replace Van Helsing and then Ives, Chandler, and the Doctor replacing Lucy's suitors, I still think Jon Harker may make an appearance), The only outlier is whether "Caliban" will become more muscle for the team or not. And of course knowing that he and Dr. Frankenstein will not be dying as the conclusion of that novel will presumably be coming after this series is done.

I watched all 3 episodes... I dont love it yet.... hope it comes together

it's also a little too Franken-centric... IMO

Eva lives up to her hype, though... she's terific

I did get tired of Caliban's bio.

Eva Green channeling demons was awesome as fuck.

I've caught up and it is enjoyable but I'm not too big on the Frankenstein story which is unfortunate since they spend a lot of time on it. Everything else is interesting, thought the hieroglyphics on the dead vamp was cool...I'll continue watching. I didn't know it was an anthology either which is a surprise.

How about that lucky bastard who happened to walk by Eva Green's character in the streets at the most opportune time?

I saw the first 2 eps and I kinda like it, it feels a bit crowded but the individual scenes are really good.

The ending to ep.2 was horrific - that guy was so sweet! i didn't expect something like this from the show that's...not Thrones :)

Frankenstein is one of my favourite novels. I quite like Bram Stoker's Dracula too. I've never been fond of seeing adaptations and other interpretations of those, however. Maybe it's just something I prefer to read rather than see.

For the show I'm more interested in learning what's going on with Vanessa Ives.

I wasn't hooked on ep 1, ep2 was pretty damn good, but the third didn't follow through with that awesomeness. I loved the seance and the sweet, sweet monster who wants a lot of friends - more than 10! It's enough to keep me watching for the time being, but I'm not in love with it yet. So uninterested in the Josh Hartnett character so far, can't even remember his name. And I can't understand a word Brona says.

Archived