Penny Dreadful, Showtime's Victorian Horror Show

Sci-2

i thought it was awesome.

hard to beat a macabre tale in victorian london.

most of the reaction ive seen seems positive.

I fell asleep twice and had to back up to even finish the episode. I'll definitely give it another go because the visuals are so good.

Maybe I'm just burnt out on Victorian London - such over saturation (it doesn't help that the book I'm reading is set in that time as well).

I though that this was a show for july or august :eek:

May 11th. Showtime will often release the first episodes of new series a few weeks before the premier to generate buzz.

Watched it on YouTube. I really enjoyed it. Harry Treadaway, who plays the "Doctor", was very good. In fact the entire cast of the first episode did rather well.

I was reminded of From Hell (graphic novel). Very Alan Moore. The final scene is what really grabbed me.

• 2 weeks later...

The look is fantastic, I watched it mainly for Eva Green. Thought Josh Hartnett wasn't bad. Whoever is in the final scene with the Dr. did a great job, there was something subtly astounding and quite moving about it. Wonderful tension between both actors.

Turns out a recent cost-reducing cable package change wiped out my access to Showtime and HBO, so my plans to give this a shot have been foiled for now. [showtime also doesn't seem to have made the Youtube release of the pilot available outside the US.] Cautiously optimistic based on what I'm hearing though. Will be following reactions with interest.

Agree on Eva... and I thought that Timothy Dalton's "I'm not Alan Quartermaine" character was done well also... Harnett's "I'm Not Tom Sawyer" is likeable, and not overburdened with cliche's

But between Mina Harker and Dorian Gray, along with a couple of other horror genre legends... we're one episode in and already I'm reminded of that awful LoSG flick.... I'm looking forward to Narsissa Malfoy and that sexy call girl chick.

But I did like it.

Agree on Eva... and I thought that Timothy Dalton's "I'm not Alan Quartermaine" character was done well also... Harnett's "I'm Not Tom Sawyer" is likeable, and not overburdened with cliche's

But between Mina Harker and Dorian Gray, along with a couple of other horror genre legends... we're one episode in and already I'm reminded of that awful LoSG flick.... I'm looking forward to Narsissa Malfoy and that sexy call girl chick.

But I did like it.

I'm pretty sure Hartnetts character is both a werewolf and either Custer or one of his men under the curse. He very obviously was the one who tore up that woman the cops took a picture of.

I enjoyed the first episode; the acting and production values were both of a high caliber. The final scene with Victor was beautiful and surprisingly moving.

Based on what we know about Malcolm Murray's family situation, it seems obvious who one of--if not the principle-- antagonists this season will be; but I'm more interested in what other literary characters may be utilized in the future. I think it's inevitable that at some point in a show set in 1891 London we will be seeing Sherlock Holmes and his crew in some capacity. He is the most popular literary character of the period and I think he'd serve as a good foil for the supernatural elements of the show. Also, they used James Moriarty as the villain in LoEG, but I could actually see him getting along with some of the characters we've met so far.

Sad to say, I nodded off during the premiere, but will catch it again during the week.

I did wake up towards the end, and agree that the scene between Dr F and the monster was very emotionally charged.

I will definitely be following this new series. It did niggle in the back of my mind that this is Showtime's snwers to True Blood (but in corsets) - I hope there are too many easily drawn comparisons in the next few weeks.

Sad to say, I nodded off during the premiere, but will catch it again during the week.

I did wake up towards the end, and agree that the scene between Dr F and the monster was very emotionally charged.

I will definitely be following this new series. It did niggle in the back of my mind that this is Showtime's snwers to True Blood (but in corsets) - I hope there are too many easily drawn comparisons in the next few weeks.

True Blood is a soap opera with a bunch of gorgeous vampires and werewolves running around. This is definitely not that. The vampires were genuinely creepy, and the tone of the show seems pretty dark.

Based on what we know about Malcolm Murray's family situation, it seems obvious who one of--if not the principle-- antagonists this season will be; but I'm more interested in what other literary characters may be utilized in the future.

Mina is named Harker on the show so presumably this takes place after the events of the novel which would mean he is dead already.

Oh drat, I didn't catch any reference to Mina as a Harker, I guess I'll need to rewatch the episode at some point. Still...Dracula is so fucking cool that I'll be a little disappointed if he isn't the vampire who abducted her. I haven't read the novel in a few years, but does't Mina marry Jonathan off screen in Budapest while the events with unLucy are taking place? If so, there should still be some wiggle room to fit him in depending on how faithfully the writers are adhering to the various plots from the sources for this mash up.

I don't think it was mentioned on the show I just saw it on a review as somebody calling her Mina Harker then I checked IMDB and that's what she's listed as. Perhaps it is in that time period of Lucy's turn though. That would certainly explain why Mr Murray hasn't sent a telegraph to Van Helsing saying "Hey there's other vamps here bro".

Has any one else watched episode 2 yet? They have it on demand here in Canada.

I had thought it was a little strange how different the relationship between the two characters was in comparison to the novel, that certainly got explained. I'm also now 100% certain Josh Hartnett's character is a werewolf.

She's great in the first episode. This role is perfect for her.

Funny I don't remember a scene where she is half naked, with a guy who has no desire to sleep with her. but....

I fell asleep twice and had to back up to even finish the episode. I'll definitely give it another go because the visuals are so good.

I also fell asleep twice, but that's what happens at 3 am, after a night of drinking. It did seem cool, from what I remember.

About combining all 3 (vampire, werewolves, Frankenstein's monster) there is the old movie "House of Dracula". I thought that Vincent Price was in it, but that was Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein" which also had all 3 of the big Hollywood monsters together.

Archived