Penny Dreadful, Showtime's Victorian Horror Show

Sci-2

I'm actually sad that this isn't an anthology because I want a definite end to the vampire plotline. I could less about Frankenstein's bullshit besides noting that his creation has to die. Hopefully Frankenstein is the hook for next season while Vanessa's...situation is resolved.

Amazing episode. This is showing what Eva Green can do far, far better than Camelot ever did, to say the least. 110% commitment.

It's just a very sharp, very enjoyable show. I don't know how long it can run for without going off the rails, but this first season alone is a gift.

Oh God Camelot! Wasn't that meant as direct competition for GOT? :laugh:

Well, I hope this is going to a 2nd season since they cannot even come close to wrapping up all of this in one episode.

ETA: Did the thing that possessed Vanessa also possess Chandler briefly, or were we just briefly shown Vanessa's altered state?

I'm certain that was a guise the demon put on, same as the time it appeared as Malcolm.

Really like the show. Excited to see how they end the season.

One thing on last episode: Ethan pulls some crazy Latin out of his ass and releases Vanessa from her...possession, at least for the time being. Where the hell did that come from?

I like this show... but typical of Showtime, it just misses.... is Eva great?... yes... but they do a terrible job telling the story... the set-ups are terrible... and they expect us to understand things --- like Josh Hartnett's sudden ability to speak latin or whose ass he pulled that religious medal out of--- that without the benefit of a messageboard full of like minded nerds like this, no reasonable person would extrapalate...

But this review explains it better:

http://screenrant.com/penny-dreadful-season-1-episode-7-possession-review/

I like this show... but typical of Showtime, it just misses.... is Eva great?... yes... but they do a terrible job telling the story... the set-ups are terrible... and they expect us to understand things --- like Josh Hartnett's sudden ability to speak latin or whose ass he pulled that religious medal out of--- that without the benefit of a messageboard full of like minded nerds like this, no reasonable person would extrapalate...

I'm assuming he's a Jesuit.

Although thats a reasonable assumption, d'ya see what I mean?... no setup... they just do it, and hope you make that mental connection... no previous dialogue ... no flashback.... just spontaneous old testament

Yeah, they're covering a LOT of material, though. And to some extent ignorance and bewilderment serves their purpose. And they're not completely leading into it from nothing; he described a pretty thorough understanding of some native re-settlements. Not the kind of thing most Americans would know about, or want to.

So we can guess he's either native/part native, someone involved in the process, or someone like a missionary working on the edges of the process. IMO he might be a combination of these, and the Vade Retro Satana leans me towards a Jesuit, possibly one who is among the roaming children he mentioned.

I do get you, though. This was my least favourite episode thus far.

He pulled the "religious medal" from Brona. She gave it to him... the previous episode I think if not the one before the Ives backstory. She deliberately mentioned it was a St Jude Medal.

Also he didn't go "old testament". Roman Catholic Church services were conducted in Latin at least until Vatican 2 in the 1960's. If one is a church goer or (or previous church goer who lost faith as Ethan has shown to be several times in the series) then one would know Latin.

or whose ass he pulled that religious medal out of---

He was given the locket onscreen by Brona in the previous episode - it was a locket/necklace of St Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.

If nothing else, they've got me guessing what the season finale will be.

I'm guessing somehow Dorrian Grey and Caliban end up ensnared in the Dracula plot, and we find out if Harnett is a werewolf...

Hmm...very interesting idea.

Yeah, I dunno. I just think Billie Piper is kind of a big name for the small role she's been playing, and her character has been dying from her first minute on screen... I know he's all hung up on the kind and pretty actress at the theatre but my money is on Brona.

Oh and the whole St. Jude thing, too.

:dunno: we shall see

Archived