Justified Season 5 (Spoilers)

Mark Antony

I think they have to share the blame - the actor wanted out because they wren't giving him anything to do except stand around the background looking menacing while Danny & Darryl got all the screen time. Yes, it's mostly on him for opting out, but the writers have to take some of the responsibility for that, too. They struck gold with the casting, but didn't do anything with it. When's the last time an otherwise unknown actor is willing to walk on a significant television role because he knew it wasn't going anywhere?

I know that oftentimes you don't know what you have until you start shooting, but think about how much better this season would be if Danny didn't exist, and instead it was Jean-Baptiste going down to Mexico and shooting Hot Rod's men, and then facing off against the DEA agent with the knife. What if instead of Darryl trying to face off against Boyd, it was Jean-Baptiste preparing to usurp him to join Boyd's crew? What if instead of Kendall witnessing Jean-Baptiste's murder, he instead catches on to Jean-Baptiste's plan?

Also:

What if Tim and Rachel, two characters whose actors get billed during the opening credits, had more than ten minutes of screen time this entire season?

While I do love Justified's ability to spawn interesting new characters several times during a season, I would rather they focus on expanding the interesting characters they've already established. We're almost done with the season and neither Tim or Rachel have been involved in a storyline, Wynn Duffy only shows up sporadically, Loretta has only showed up once, and Constable Bob has made nary an appearance. That's just unacceptable. AFAIC, Roscoe, Jay, JB, and Wendy can stay. Every other new recurring character can go.

Well they kept Wood Harris alive when they could have killed him off, which implies that we're going to see more of him. I imagine that he'll be running Hot Rod's business now that everyone else involved is dead. He has experience at that kind of thing, anyway.

Anyone else feel Art's being a little harsh on Raylan? The man was threatening to kill Winona and their unborn child, for god's sake. Raylan striking a deal with Sammy was quite understandable.

Well they kept Wood Harris alive when they could have killed him off, which implies that we're going to see more of him. I imagine that he'll be running Hot Rod's business now that everyone else involved is dead. He has experience at that kind of thing, anyway.

Even if Wood Harris doesn't come back, I'm glad they didn't have him go out in a blaze of...attempted revenge. It was surprising, they have people do that a lot on this show.

Also:

What if Tim and Rachel, two characters whose actors get billed during the opening credits, had more than ten minutes of screen time this entire season?

While I do love Justified's ability to spawn interesting new characters several times during a season, I would rather they focus on expanding the interesting characters they've already established. We're almost done with the season and neither Tim or Rachel have been involved in a storyline, Wynn Duffy only shows up sporadically, Loretta has only showed up once, and Constable Bob has made nary an appearance. That's just unacceptable. AFAIC, Roscoe, Jay, JB, and Wendy can stay. Every other new recurring character can go.

disagree. i dont think we needed any loretta and constable bob doesnt really to show up again

and on tim and rachel, i dont think we necessarily need more of them. theres no tim and rachel quota and they should be on the show when it needs them

but the lack of duffy was puzzling since he seemed to have been involved in this seasons plot, or should have been

Yup. Or Jean-Baptiste (no, I can't let that go). I actually like Wendy & Kendall, but Darryl & Danny just bore the crap out of me.

Right now, the Crowes are in a dramatic no-win situation. Having spent so many years establishing Boyd and Duffy's badass credentials, it's hard to buy into the Crowes as a significant outside threat (unlike Quarles or Mags). Even if the Crowes managed to kill a main character, it wouldn't feel earned. It'd feel like cheating.

Quick question: was the DEA agent established anywhere else in the Leonardverse?

have any characters from from justified been leonard transplants?(other than from fire in the hole) the closest i can think of is daryl, who isnt the same character as roland crow, and not that much alike at all but he is a bigger guy named crow from the everglades....

disagree. i dont think we needed any loretta and constable bob doesnt really to show up again

and on tim and rachel, i dont think we necessarily need more of them. theres no tim and rachel quota and they should be on the show when it needs them

but the lack of duffy was puzzling since he seemed to have been involved in this seasons plot, or should have been

I understand your point with Loretta. She isn't in Harlan, so incorporating her into the plot takes some unnecessary doing. But Constable Bob? He lives in Harlan, has an arsenal in his trunk, and takes his job way too seriously. It doesn't make sense that he wouldn't pop up for at least a cameo. Oswalt was hilarious and memorable in doses last season. IMHO, the show is better with him in it. In doses, of course.

Tim vs Colt/sniper standoff was one of the best moments of last season. Why? Because Tim and Colt are both interesting characters, and both had screen time enough to give that moment weight. Tim, IMHO, is underused, especially this season, when he hasn't been used at all.

have any characters from from justified been leonard transplants?(other than from fire in the hole) the closest i can think of is daryl, who isnt the same character as roland crow, and not that much alike at all but he is a bigger guy named crow from the everglades....

They had Karen Sisko one episode, but not the TV rights to the character. So she got married and thus had a different last name but it was her.

edit: http://justified.wikia.com/wiki/Karen_Goodall

I mean, I understand about Jean-Baptiste, but they obviously had a plan for him. The actor should have stuck it out cause it was clear he was going to be a big feature down the road. They took their time getting there but the actor should have been informed it was coming, or at least given an outline of where it was going.

As for Loretta, isn't she a regular on another show? I think she has very limited availability to show up here.

Not that bothered about Loretta, she's a decent enough character but you can only give kid characters so much screen time before they become annoying.

I do wish they'd made Limehouse a regular character though. A Limehouse/Duffy sub-plot would be immense.

I'm actually kind of excited for tonight's episode. It appears Justified is beginning to rediscover its old magic, and bringing all the big players back together will definitely help with that.

I'll stay cautious though, especially since the last few weeks have been disappointing.

Good episode. Dewey is hilariously out of his depth. Dickie's collect call to snitch on his only friend is one of the best moments of the season. Ava's storyline was tolerable, and Danny finally got to test his 21 foot rule.

Question: Anyone else getting an incest vibe from Wendy's storyline? Like maybe the now deceased Crowe patriarch fathered Kendal on her. I'm hoping it's just ASOIAF paranoia.

Going back to last week's episode - when seeing Miller's relationship with Hot Rod, I couldn't help but think that would be Boyd and Raylan in a couple decades (if they make it). I don't know if that was intentional, but it's certainly an interesting way to look at it. And Miller certainly seems to be like an older version of Raylan from what I saw.

Archived