Justified Season 5 (Spoilers)

Mark Antony

I also forgot to include: Loretta gets into trouble with Hot Rod, and then disappears. Her only purpose this season was to introduce Raylan to Blonde Social Worker, who is far less interesting than either Loretta (young Raylan) or Wendy (Alt-Universe Raylan).

With the end looming, S5 should have been about consolidating storylines rather than expanding them. Boyd and Duffy together make for great television (as evidenced by the first few episodes of the season). Johnny was a dangling thread that needed to be snipped. Raylan's involvement with Sammy Tonin was a huge thing that should have loomed over this season. All of them together would have made a much more cohesive and interesting storyline than the Crowes, and could have set up a phenomenal S6.

I thought we were being set up for Raylan's expulsion (or at least suspension) from the Marshals at the end of the season, with S6 being devoted to his attempts to find his identity apart from the badge. That's been something that's always loomed in the background of his interactions with Boyd, Winona, Arlo, and Mags, and it's part of what makes Raylan so interesting. Raylan's whole life is about Arlo vs. Helen. Law enforcement was a way to direct all of his bad instincts in a productive and lawful manner. Watching him struggle to do so without having his job as a crutch would be a great way to end the series.

:agree:

They really did miss the boat with this season. Lots of missed opportunities.

I think they could have built him up throughout the season. Perhaps not directly confronting Boyd but as a 3rd party throwing a wrench into things between Raylan/Boyd/Darryl. It looked like they were trying to set him up as a cunning and competent adversary .. but that didn't last too long.

I don't think Johnny deserved to be built up. He was always in over his head and should have just accepted his role with Boyd. I'm glad he died the way he did.

I think this season is leading up to something that will mean an all out Boyd vs Raylan rivalry in season 6. Possibly Ava dying and Boyd blaming Raylan for it, and also maybe Raylan no longer being a marshal which would make him more vulnerable.

Johnny did get screwed over big time by Boyd in the past, so I believe he was entitled to seek his revenge, but you know Boyd is always going to outsmart the other criminals. Daryl Crowe doesn't stand a chance.

Someone mentioned Loretta earlier, and I wonder if she and Kendall will cross paths? I'm not really hoping to see that happen as I've really had enough of the Crowe family in general. Ava and Boyd's "adventures" have been the most interesting plot lines for me this season, even though Boyd's have been rather convoluted. At this point I'm like, now why exactly does he want to smuggle in heroin again?

I think this season is leading up to something that will mean an all out Boyd vs Raylan rivalry in season 6. Possibly Ava dying and Boyd blaming Raylan for it, and also maybe Raylan no longer being a marshal which would make him more vulnerable.

Raylan not being a US Marshal? That's fucking crazy. he loves killing people too much to let that job go.

Raylan not being a US Marshal? That's fucking crazy. he loves killing people too much to let that job go.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it will be voluntary.

I agree with WarGalley et al -- they're not using the resources they have and everything is much too slapdash. I enjoy the episodes well enough, including this one, but you can REALLY see the problems.

Not a bad episode, I thought. Still felt a bit off. Nice to see Avon get some real screen time. Also great to see Dicki Bennet in the promo for next week!

"The UN of assholes" :lol: Man I really started to like the DEA agent, but I doubt he survived Dewey's relentless onslaught.

Good episode. The rest of the season sounds killer. Here's the episode previews:

Episode 10 - "Weight"- Raylan and Boyd collide on the hunt for Dewey Crowe, while bad blood simmering in the Crowe family finally boils over.

Episode 11- "The Toll" - A shooting close to home forces Raylan and Boyd to decide which lines they're willing to cross.

Episode 12 - "Starvation"- Raylan puts pressure on every criminal in town as a ploy to arrest Darryl Crowe Jr., while Boyd and Duffy enlist an unlikely ally to fight off cartel killers.

SEASON FINALE - Episode 13 - "Restitution" - Raylan has one last shot at taking down Art's would-be assassin, while cartel killers have Boyd's back against the wall.

Good episode. The rest of the season sounds killer. Here's the episode previews:

Episode 10 - "Weight"- Raylan and Boyd collide on the hunt for Dewey Crowe, while bad blood simmering in the Crowe family finally boils over.

Episode 11- "The Toll" - A shooting close to home forces Raylan and Boyd to decide which lines they're willing to cross.

Episode 12 - "Starvation"- Raylan puts pressure on every criminal in town as a ploy to arrest Darryl Crowe Jr., while Boyd and Duffy enlist an unlikely ally to fight off cartel killers.

SEASON FINALE - Episode 13 - "Restitution" - Raylan has one last shot at taking down Art's would-be assassin, while cartel killers have Boyd's back against the wall.

This show is just much better when everyone is in the same place. Love the interactions between all the characters we know and love. Hopefully we'll see more of that going forward, and

those previews suggest exactly that. I'm reasonably excited

Man I really hope Eric Roberts is still alive. Though if he is it's hard to imagine a scenario where Danny doesn't finish him off.

I hope so too, but didn't Dewey's truck make a little bump after he ran the guy over? My guess is the car he was towing finished him off, but who knows. I just hope Danny bites the dust asap.

I'm also hoping that Roberts is somehow hanging on to the truck, just waiting for Dewey to make a stop. I know it's unlikely, but a man can dream.

I hope so too, but didn't Dewey's truck make a little bump after he ran the guy over? My guess is the car he was towing finished him off, but who knows. I just hope Danny bites the dust asap.

I'm also hoping that Roberts is somehow hanging on to the truck, just waiting for Dewey to make a stop. I know it's unlikely, but a man can dream.

Oh I didn't notice that. Well if he's dead maybe they can do a spin-off DEA prequel show starring him.

Also Yost should ask Matthew McConaughey if he's interested in the idea of Rustified. I'd watch that.

another spoiler:

Deadline reports that Mary Steenburgen has been cast on "Justified" in the season’s final few episodes as Katherine Hale, “a Southern Belle who was the wife of [Wynn] Duffy’s (Jere Burns) mentor in crime.”

Once she debuts, Steenburgen will recur through the rest of the season, with no word yet on her place in next year’s sixth and final season. But her character’s association with Wynn Duffy, and thereby her connection with Boyd, is information enough to get the wheels turning.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/mary-steenburgen-headed-to-harlan-county-for-justified#1RUlGPwqPpW8GiKK.99

I know I shouldn't think about these things, but...
1. Darryl got struck right on the hip, and rolled sideways away from the truck without getting run over.
2. Granted, he was closer and the truck just started cold and was still building up speed, but even a 5 mph collision with that much mass (especially to the hip) is going to leave him unable to walk.
3. The DEA guy is struck rolls over the hood of the truck and against the windshield... which is by my estimate about 4-5 feet in the air. Apparently, he jumped straight up.
4. Which leaves the question of why he shot at Dewey in the first place instead of getting out of the way. Heck, even if shot Dewey right between the eyes, that still does nothing about the several tons of steel bearing down on him.
5. Hell, even if Dewey slams on the breaks right after hitting Darryl, the DEA guy is still going to get flattened. That much mass doesn't stop on a dime.
6. To say nothing of his initial tactic barricading the road with his car (on the assumption that the guy in the truck would stop for him instead of running him down... which is not even certain if he were a legitimate tow truck driver...
7. Followed by pulling his gun (but not his badge - given the circumstances, Darryl could have shot him dead right there, and gotten aquitted as justifiable homicide) and waving it around (he has no idea if there's a hostage in the truck)...
8. And then standing in front of the headlights, where he is completely visible to the driver, but he can't see crap.
I know, I know... it's just a TV show, but the more I enjoy a show, the higher my expectations of it. My willing suspension sense of disbelief got revoked even more than by Boyd & Duffy's security arrangement at Audrey's.

It was an okay episode for me. Couple of things really stuck out though.

1. Rayland walks in on a meeting between Boyd, Darryl, Picker and Wynn Duffy and he doesn't ask any questions or do any kind of follow-up like search for drugs on the premises? I imagine he's put together most of the pieces of the conspiracy, but that was the first time those 4 meet Raylan at the same time. I would have thought Raylan would have broke their balls at least a little bit.

2. What is Darry's plan to killed Boyd/Wynn Duffy/Picker and take over heroin distribution in Kentucky? Boyd has no muscle, but neither does Darryl aside from Danny and Dewey (neither of which inspire me as a foundation for running a criminal organization). Aside from his smugglers in Mexico, does he have other me either in Kentucky or Florida. That seemed a little too ambitious a little too fast.

I wish the Harris brothers were in this show instead of the Crowes. Would have been much much better.

Yup. Or Jean-Baptiste (no, I can't let that go). I actually like Wendy & Kendall, but Darryl & Danny just bore the crap out of me.

Right now, the Crowes are in a dramatic no-win situation. Having spent so many years establishing Boyd and Duffy's badass credentials, it's hard to buy into the Crowes as a significant outside threat (unlike Quarles or Mags). Even if the Crowes managed to kill a main character, it wouldn't feel earned. It'd feel like cheating.

Quick question: was the DEA agent established anywhere else in the Leonardverse?

Yup. Or Jean-Baptiste (no, I can't let that go). I actually like Wendy & Kendall, but Darryl & Danny just bore the crap out of me.

Right now, the Crowes are in a dramatic no-win situation. Having spent so many years establishing Boyd and Duffy's badass credentials, it's hard to buy into the Crowes as a significant outside threat (unlike Quarles or Mags). Even if the Crowes managed to kill a main character, it wouldn't feel earned. It'd feel like cheating.

I agree. In one episode, the Harris brothers accomplished a lot more, or got closer to accomplishing than the Crowes have all season. I'm fine with Wendy/Kendall as well but they don't really add much if the others aren't there. Jean-Baptiste, though, might have made it interesting. I blame him, not Yost on that one.

I agree. In one episode, the Harris brothers accomplished a lot more, or got closer to accomplishing than the Crowes have all season. I'm fine with Wendy/Kendall as well but they don't really add much if the others aren't there. Jean-Baptiste, though, might have made it interesting. I blame him, not Yost on that one.

I think they have to share the blame - the actor wanted out because they wren't giving him anything to do except stand around the background looking menacing while Danny & Darryl got all the screen time. Yes, it's mostly on him for opting out, but the writers have to take some of the responsibility for that, too. They struck gold with the casting, but didn't do anything with it. When's the last time an otherwise unknown actor is willing to walk on a significant television role because he knew it wasn't going anywhere?

I know that oftentimes you don't know what you have until you start shooting, but think about how much better this season would be if Danny didn't exist, and instead it was Jean-Baptiste going down to Mexico and shooting Hot Rod's men, and then facing off against the DEA agent with the knife. What if instead of Darryl trying to face off against Boyd, it was Jean-Baptiste preparing to usurp him to join Boyd's crew? What if instead of Kendall witnessing Jean-Baptiste's murder, he instead catches on to Jean-Baptiste's plan?

Archived