Small Questions v 10021

Stubby

Well we don't know the details of why the FM killed the masters. But the FM were born from a sympathy to the suffering of the slaves - at the least they were sympathizers. The wretched slave was killed because he prayed to be dead, it was an act of mercy. i doubt it was for mercy the FM killed the masters. And it could also be a hint the FM had a hand in the Doom. But I agree there's some holes in the story, so for now we can't be sure of too much.

Thing is some readers have developed theories about Faceless Pate and the FM based on what they filled those holes with.

snip

snip

snip

Passage in question:

“All gods have their instruments, men and women who serve them and help to work their will

on earth. The slaves were not crying out to a hundred different gods, as it seemed, but to one god

with a hundred different faces... and he was that god’s instrument. That very night he chose the

most wretched of the slaves, the one who had prayed most earnestly for release, and freed him

from his bondage. The first gift had been given.”

Arya drew back from him. “He killed the slave?” That did not sound right. “He should have

killed the masters!”

“He would bring the gift to them as well... but that is a tale for another day, one best shared

with no one.” He cocked his head. “And who are you, child?”

“No one.”

“A lie.”

I don't know how much we can trust the honesty of the KM, he seems to try and convince Arya that they are a merciful force when other POVs suggest they are no more than the best Assassins for hire.

I understand that Braavos is antislavery but why do readers assume the FM are? Is there any direct evidence that the FM are antislavery themselves? And why do people assume the Braavos are anti-Targaryen? Didn't the Sealord of Braavos witness the marriage pact between Viserys Targaryen and Arianne Martell by Jon Darry and Oberyn Martell? And didn't the Targaryens join Braavos when Volantis threatened to conquer The Free Cities?

The first Faceless Man was answering a slave's prayer after seeing the tragedy unfolding in Valyria's mines. I think that constitutes being anti-slavery.

In FFC it is implied that Arya warged nymeria with being awake while she was standing at the fm meeting.does this mean she is a better warg than bran?he loses consciousness while warging.and she doesn't have any help,she is natural.is there a thread on this?thx

Anyone?it is really bugging me. She is def. Stronger warg than Jon and Bran doesn't help her either.she already warged a cat too,while bran needed help with birds etc.

In FFC it is implied that Arya warged nymeria with being awake while she was standing at the fm meeting.does this mean she is a better warg than bran?he loses consciousness while warging.and she doesn't have any help,she is natural.is there a thread on this?thx

I seem to recall a couple instances where Bran does a quick "sight check" with Summer - a quick look around through Summer's eyes - without losing consciousness (although he is completely "outside" his body while doing it).

When Arya was serving at the FM meeting, her mind was wandering due to boredom, although she was still awake. Arya shows more control when she unintentionally wargs the cat in the bar, then intentionally wargs it at breakfast in tHoBaW.

I would venture that Bran is the more powerful warg, but Arya, since she is older, has better control of her own mind at this time. Her ability to carry on a conversation with the KM while observing through the cat's eyes is something that Bran may have not mastered yet. In the end, I am sure Bran will surpass Arya.

ETA

The first Faceless Man was answering a slave's prayer after seeing the tragedy unfolding in Valyria's mines. I think that constitutes being anti-slavery.

The first FM killed a miserable slave to end his suffering. That alone does not make FM anti-slavery.

Anyone?it is really bugging me. She is def. Stronger warg than Jon and Bran doesn't help her either.she already warged a cat too,while bran needed help with birds etc.

That's not exactly a small question, but HERE is one thread discussing it.

Or just copy paste the following line into google:

arya warg site:asoiaf.westeros.org

Are there any references to "wild roses" in the books other than the ones in Aegon's Garden on Dragonstone? (Davos II)

There are two. Both of them in Storm of Swords.

1. Catelyn V - At Oldstones where Robb tells her he intends to legitimize Jon. The lid of the sepulcher had been carved into a likeness of the man whose bones lay beneath, but the rain and the wind had done their work. The king had worn a beard, they could see, but otherwise his face was smooth and featureless, with only vague suggestions of a mouth, a nose, eyes, and the crown about the temples. His hands folded over the shaft of a stone warhammer that lay upon his chest. Once the warhammer would have been carved with runes that told its name and history, but all that the centuries had worn away. The stone itself was cracked and crumbling at the comers, discolored here and there by spreading white splotches of lichen, while wild roses crept up over the king’s feet almost to his chest.

2. Chett's inner monologue in the prologue: He could see Bessa’s face floating before him. It wasn’t the knife I wanted to put in you, he wanted to tell her. I picked you flowers, wild roses and tansy and goldencups, it took me all morning.

Are there any theories on why all of Walder Frey's wives died? Im assuming all of his wives were young when they married him, so it seems weird they all (except the current) predeceased him

They had a lot of children and childbirth had a much higher fatality rate in medieval times compared to now. There is also the possibility of sickness etc. I doubt there is anything untoward about why they have died though;vWalder shows that he looks out for his family, and these wives were mothers to his children so i wouldnt have thought he'd kill them (I assume you were thinking along those lines?) Childbirth is my favourite idea though

OK Mindchap, you can get back to me with this one when you get a chance... What is the significance of the crow cage at the beginning of TSS? When coupled with the dead treecat, the dream about Sweetfoot, and the dead animal(s) on the way to the battle at the end, it seems to be an allusion to the loss of life that will occur unless Dunk takes action? Or is it something more than that?

Has it been confirmed somewhere (interview, SSM) that Alys Harroway and Tyanna of Pentos were wives of Maegor I? Because they're mentioned on the wiki as his wives, and the only source given is the World book. In view history, an admin from the spanish awoiaf has edit the pages, but she wasn't the one who made them.

So is it true, has it been confirmed anywhere?

I seem to recall a couple instances where Bran does a quick "sight check" with Summer - a quick look around through Summer's eyes - without losing consciousness (although he is completely "outside" his body while doing it).

When Arya was serving at the FM meeting, her mind was wandering due to boredom, although she was still awake. Arya shows more control when she unintentionally wargs the cat in the bar, then intentionally wargs it at breakfast in tHoBaW.

I would venture that Bran is the more powerful warg, but Arya, since she is older, has better control of her own mind at this time. Her ability to carry on a conversation with the KM while observing through the cat's eyes is something that Bran may have not mastered yet. In the end, I am sure Bran will surpass Arya.

Thanks:) I didn't really count on age difference,Jon is older and not as good (yet).

ETA

Archived