Small Questions v 10021

Stubby

What potion did Tyrion steal from pycelle in ACOK??

He stole multiple potions from Pycelle which were presented at his trial. He uses one in particular in Clash which I assume is a laxative, that made Cersei indisposed for a day or two (thats a strong laxative!). I dont know.if we are told what its called though.

My own question on the subject of poisons; is the sweetsleep that Arya is taught about by the Waif the same poison used to treat Sweetrobin?

He stole multiple potions from Pycelle which were presented at his trial. He uses one in particular in Clash which I assume is a laxative, that made Cersei indisposed for a day or two (thats a strong laxative!). I dont know.if we are told what its called though.

My own question on the subject of poisons; is the sweetsleep that Arya is taught about by the Waif the same poison used to treat Sweetrobin?

Yeah.

Perhaps a pinch of sweetsleep in his milk, have you tried that? Just a pinch, to calm him and stop his wretched shaking.”
“A pinch?” The apple in the maester’s throat moved up and down as he swallowed. “One small pinch... perhaps, perhaps. Not too much, and not too often, yes, I might try...”

Don't believe the propaganda! I think they lied about that in Tyrion's trial. At least that's how I interpret it, since Tyrion only seems to take one bottle in his POV.

He noted sweetsleep and nightshade, milk of the poppy, the tears of Lys, powdered greycap, wolfsbane and demon’s dance, basilisk venom, blindeye, widow’s blood... Standing on his toes and straining upward, he managed to pull a small dusty bottle off the high shelf. When he read the label, he smiled and slipped it up his sleeve.

I think the sweetsleep is the same. At least the waif describes small amounts good for preventing shaking, so it makes sense.

“Sweetsleep is the gentlest of poisons,” the waif told her, as she was grinding some with a mortar and pestle. “A few grains will slow a pounding heart and stop a hand from shaking, and make a man feel calm and strong. A pinch will grant a night of deep and dreamless sleep. Three pinches will produce that sleep that does not end. The taste is very sweet, so it is best used in cakes and pies and honeyed wines."

Are there three rather spectacular fails at hatching dragon eggs perhaps? Someone else could probably do this better *cough* Rhaenys *cough* but maybe Summerhall - Aerion (although he was trying to turn into a dragon) and someone else perhaps?

Hehe, I feel flattered :) But I'm having trouble coming up with examples :D

This is what I was thinking about:

Three Targaryens picturing themselves as dragons in human form: Aerion - Aerys - Viserys

Three men from the North excuting three traitors themselves: Ned - Jon - Robb

I was also thinking about people who lost their eyes because of actions of family members: Aemond and Bloodraven immediately jumped to my mind, yet I couldn't think of a third one. It isn't known how Euron lost his eye, right?

Another idea I had was perhaps the confusion about the foster location of children: Myrcella (since Tyrion lied to three different people about where he would send her) and Robert Arryn (since Jon Arryn and Robert were making plans at the same time, but they didn't know about the others plan, which causes confusion amongst Ned and Cat).

This is all I can come up with for the moment. There must surely be more though.

What potion did Tyrion steal from pycelle in ACOK??

Don't believe the propaganda! I think they lied about that in Tyrion's trial. At least that's how I interpret it, since Tyrion only seems to take one bottle in his POV.

He noted sweetsleep and nightshade, milk of the poppy, the tears of Lys, powdered greycap, wolfsbane and demon’s dance, basilisk venom, blindeye, widow’s blood... Standing on his toes and straining upward, he managed to pull a small dusty bottle off the high shelf. When he read the label, he smiled and slipped it up his sleeve.

I think the sweetsleep is the same. At least the waif describes small amounts good for preventing shaking, so it makes sense.

“Sweetsleep is the gentlest of poisons,” the waif told her, as she was grinding some with a mortar and pestle. “A few grains will slow a pounding heart and stop a hand from shaking, and make a man feel calm and strong. A pinch will grant a night of deep and dreamless sleep. Three pinches will produce that sleep that does not end. The taste is very sweet, so it is best used in cakes and pies and honeyed wines."

I agree with this, Tyrion only stole one bottle, which he used on Cersei. Had it been the same stuff which was used on Joffrey, Cersei would have been death.

And both mentioned sweetsleeps seem indeed the same, at least to me.

I know, I was just asking if anyone remembered any instances like that before I went on a wild goose chase. I wasn't meaning for anyone to go looking just trying to see if anyone remembered anything. Like I know we have two "Dance" situations, and then there's the two "Kingsmoot" things, I just wondered if anyone recalled there being a suggestion of three with any of them. :)

I've seen a suggestion here that there was another Dance of Dragons, killing 4 of the 5 dragons the Targaryens had in Dragonstone, and some cadet branches. And there was the time when the ironborn chose Vickon Greyjoy as their lord.

Well then, that begs the somewhat larger question; why isnt Sweetrobin dead yet? :p But thats for another thread. Many thanks

Ok here's a nice small question... Is there a passage where Brienne is sweating while traveling around?

SoS:

"Sweat had stuck her flax-coloured hair to her forehead, and her grimace made her look homelier than ever."

Not travelling here but:

"She woke sweating and spent the rest of the night huddled under her cloak, listening to the rain pound on the deck above her head."

Again this one is after she encountered Biter so:

"She was drenched in sweat, burning, yet somehow shivering too."

Ok here's a nice small question... Is there a passage where Brienne is sweating while traveling around?

She wakes once sweating from a dream, and is sweating while she's half awake suffering from the infection from Biter biting her.

Brienne sweating... during travel? Did a really quick and superficial check on aCoK, aSos and aFfC and came up with a few mentions of Brienne being sweaty.

This one might fit the best, it's from when she was trying to get Jaime to KL, Robin Ryger is about to catch their boat.

Brienne broke off rowing. Sweat had stuck strands of her flax-colored hair to her forehead, and her grimace made her look homelier than ever. “You are under my protection,” she said, her voice so thick with anger that it was almost a growl.

She's also sweaty at Renly's tourney, wakes up all sweaty after a nightmare when she and Pod were overnighting on the galley called the Lady of Myr, and has a fevered dream in which she's drenched in sweat, this was when she had just been captured by the BwB.

Eta: others are soooo much faster at this than I am!

Where abouts do you think this is? I searched "sweat" on my e-book for SoS, FfC and DwD and found only what i posted

I just don't know. Argh! I want to say she had to swat a mosquito on her neck or was scratching a bite or something like that. Maybe I'm just mixing something up...

I just don't know. Argh! I want to say she had to swat a mosquito on her neck or was scratching a bite or something like that. Maybe I'm just mixing something up...

I seem to recall it too. I'll check the Cracklaw Point chapter.

ETA: It's on route to the Quiet Isle;

Brienne VI, Feast for Crows

Brienne scratched the back of her neck, where an insect had bitten her. She had pinned her hair up and the sun had warmed her skin.

Archived