Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

During the WotNPK I guess Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully may have been close advisors along with Robert's grandfather Aegon's son-in-law.

I wouldn't rule out Dunk or Egg as battle commanders. Jon as Warden of the East or whoever served as Egg's hand would be the other likely candidates.

After Stannis took Deepwood Motte, Roose decided to do the wedding at Winterfell. In his original letter, he said the wedding would be done in Barrowton. There is one thing I dont understand. When Davos, Wyman and Robett talked, Deepwood was already taken and Wyman was still at home. When they are done, Wyman said he has a wedding to attend at Winterfell. How does he know that the wedding would be done at Winterfell? The next Reek chapter shows that Roose took that decision after Wyman came to Barrowton without the Freys. Roose guessed that Stannis would not attack Barrowton but he had to attack Winterfell where they can play the Karstark treachery and finish Stannis. Did Wyman predict all these? How did Stannis get the word of the marriage would be done in Winterfell? He should have Asha's letter which says the wedding would be at Barrowton.

After Stannis took Deepwood Motte, Roose decided to do the wedding at Winterfell. In his original letter, he said the wedding would be done in Barrowton. There is one thing I dont understand. When Davos, Wyman and Robett talked, Deepwood was already taken and Wyman was still at home. When they are done, Wyman said he has a wedding to attend at Winterfell. How does he know that the wedding would be done at Winterfell? The next Reek chapter shows that Roose took that decision after Wyman came to Barrowton without the Freys. Roose guessed that Stannis would not attack Barrowton but he had to attack Winterfell where they can play the Karstark treachery and finish Stannis. Did Wyman predict all these? How did Stannis get the word of the marriage would be done in Winterfell? He should have Asha's letter which says the wedding would be at Barrowton.

Wyman was summoned to Barrowton. Perhaps he assumed the wedding would take place at Winterfell.

What came first, what came last? The war of the Ninepenny Kings or the Tragedy of Summerhall?

Aegon V died during the tragedy of Summerhall, and the War of the Ninepenny Kings happened during Aegon's reign. The War of the Ninepenny Kings took place before the Tragedy at Summerhall.

During the WotNPK I guess Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully may have been close advisors along with Robert's grandfather Aegon's son-in-law.

I guess all the Wardens were advisors. Isn't it stated somewhere that the War of the Ninepenny Kings was the last time all Warden titles were activated all at once? Also, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Ser Duncan the Tall, is a good possibility. And Aegon himself, though he would have been in his 50ties, but that shouldn't be a problem, seeing as how Jon Arryn was about such an age when he fought in the Rebellion.

Do the cataclysmic events the happened at hardhome in the north have any relation to the Doom of Valyria? Was it because they were abusing magic or where they mining to deep in the caves? North of the wall I know there is little mining and more magic but hardhome was supposedly more advanced then the rest of the north beyond the wall. My other more exciting guess would be that maybe there where frostwyrms or ice dragons in those caves, and the gods put an end to it before they be controlled like in Valyria?

Do the cataclysmic events the happened at hardhome in the north have any relation to the Doom of Valyria? Was it because they were abusing magic or where they mining to deep in the caves? North of the wall I know there is little mining and more magic but hardhome was supposedly more advanced then the rest of the north beyond the wall. My other more exciting guess would be that maybe there where frostwyrms or ice dragons in those caves, and the gods put an end to it before they be controlled like in Valyria?

We don't know, to put it simply. There are tons of theories but none of them small. Try copying and pasting the following into google to find all the Hardhome theories:

hardhome site:asoiaf.westeros.org

Fostering is also done as a means of strengthening bonds between Houses and giving young boys a different perspective of life. For example, Domeric Bolton was fostered out in the Vale, and the two Walders (Big Walder and Little Walder) were fostered as a means of cementing the alliance between Stark and Frey. There is a subtle difference between fosstering andd hostages (prisoners). It seems you are thinking of hostages, which is what Theon Greyjoy, Hoster Blackwood, Peck and all the others are to the Lannisters. The purpose of this is to ensure a parents good behaviour

Fostering is also done as a means of strengthening bonds between Houses and giving young boys a different perspective of life. For example, Domeric Bolton was fostered out in the Vale, and the two Walders (Big Walder and Little Walder) were fostered as a means of cementing the alliance between Stark and Frey. There is a subtle difference between fosstering andd hostages (prisoners). It seems you are thinking of hostages, which is what Theon Greyjoy, Hoster Blackwood, Peck and all the others are to the Lannisters. The purpose of this is to ensure a parents good behaviour

Little houses to big in most other cases that come to mind. That, or on account of trying to strengthen a weak child... especially in "current" times where fostering is synonymous with "stealing my baby"... though much of that impression I have may just be on account of Lysa (and Cersei to an extent) who was as over-protective as they come.

Robert and Eddard strike me as somewhat unusual. I definitely get the point of fostering, but don't see other examples of similar nature. Are there any?

Little houses to big in most other cases that come to mind... especially in "current" times where fostering is synonmymous with "stealing my baby"... though much of that impression I have may just be on account of Lysa (and Cersei to an extent) who was as over-protective as they come.

Robert and Eddard strike me as somewhat unusual. Are there other examples of similar nature?

Jon Arryn was planning on fostering Sweetrobin to Stannis or Tywin (depending on who you believe).

And Tywin alludes to having Tommen sent to the Rock to foster with Jaime, as Tywin wants Jaime to renounce being in KG.

Robert and Eddard strike me as somewhat unusual. I definitely get the point of fostering, but don't see other examples of similar nature. Are there any?

Brandon Stark being fostered by Lord Dustin at Barrowtown, Petyr Baelish being fostered by Lord Hoster Tully at Riverrun. Quentyn Martell being fostered by Lord Anders Yronwood. Oberyn Martell being fostered by the Qorgyles at Sandstone.

Both examples to get away from their mothers and toughen them up a bit, right?

Both those examples yes. But in general I dont think thats what it is for. Ned's fostering may have been part of Rickard's "southern ambition" and Robert... well he had no parents, someone had to teach him how to rule. Quentyn was fostered out to Yronwood, not to toughen him up but as a means of calming the waters...I cant think of any examples other than that

Who could Aegon's Hand be? Maybe his son Duncan the Small? Do you think this is relevant?

I'm sure we'll find out in later Dunk and Egg stories, or possibly even the Worldbook that will hopefully be out sometime this year. I doubt it's anyone we've met yet.

Archived