[Spoilers] HBO's True Detective discussion thread

Mark Antony

"You don't mow my lawn. I like mowing my lawn."

Exactly.

Which is funny considering he's now upset that his wife won't give him another chance for cheating on her. I guess Hart is very egocentric while Rust is trying so hard to be the opposite.

I just remembered how cool the scene was when Rust walks out instantly and without comment when HArt's wife accuses him of being a shit husband. I'm starting to realise this episode was better than i initially gave credit. The end probably swamped my mind,

Look forward to having the blu-ray and enjoying a marathon - and watching the inevitable featurette on how they filmed the last scene.

My gf and I watched the show on demand the past three days. It is amazing. I have never watched a show where I'm really excited to find out what happens next. I watched Sopranos, Wire, Mad Men, etc on a season by season basis, and GoT doesn't count; I already know what is going to happen. Anyways, this makes for an unusual (if totally conventional) manner of viewing.

Really digging the show. Wasn't as big a fan of episode 4, I frankly loved the slow plot development and the back-and-forth between Cohle and Hart of the first three episodes. But I'm still really excited to see where this all goes.

That's not quite the way I saw it, but I will readily admit I am not as knowledgeable about this sort of thing.

I think that if she wanted to be done with Marty, she should have just been done with him. Walk away. Done. He's now out of your life forever. But... that's not quite what happens. She - and thinking of the logistics of packing up a 1990's era stenographer machine, paper etc and then chasing a man out of a courtroom... that's not a small thing - instead she desires a confrontation.

Originally, when we first met her, she wanted to have something more stable, and there was a hint that she wanted MArty to leave his wife; something he was obviously not going to do because Marty wants what all people want when having an affair - the newness of the affair while maintaining the stability of their spouse. Marty's selfishness is pretty emblematic of most men (and women) who cheat.

When he is walking away from her in the courthouse - again, not the other way around - she is enraged (and she was engaged). She styles it after what happened at her apartment when Marty broke in and violently attacked the other man while ignoring her - as a selfish person would- she is a trinket to Marty, not areal person.

BUt there is also the seething hatred of Marty for not acknowledging her importance in his life and mirroring it to the importance Marty has to her. She fucking hates the idea that this guy can just pick her up, fuck her and then completely forget about her- she becomes utterly disposable to him. She cannot leave it at that

And in the courthouse, Marty completes that cycle; he leaves no ambiguity- he is leaving her and that's that (which, I will READILY AGREE was a stretch for Harrelson's character; I would have prefered her walking out on him after the scene at her apartment and THEN her going to the wife; that seemed more realistic). Now, she cannot stomach that. JUst as MArty is a POS for his greed, the mistress is no innocent here. She wants him and if he is going to hurt her like that ... fuck it, she is going to hurt him by going to the wife. She, after all, wanted MArty the whole time and if she wanted to just walk away and forget it all ever happened, she could have just done that. BUt she wanted to get back at Marty for, well, walking out on her so she would get somebody else to walk out on him.

So, never stick your dick in crazy?

Nice, Odd there's a "to" missing in one sentence - oversight, or deliberate?

Typewriters. Once you fuck up, there's no going back. The guy probably didn't feel like starting over.

Always good advice, but in this case I'd say Woody is crazier than Alexandra. Never allow crazy to stick its' dick in you, perhaps?

Agreed, she doesn't come across as crazy at all. Vengeful, angry, and a bit of a drama llama, maybe. But her reactions thus far have been pretty understandable.

I'd be happy to settle down with her.

I think it's funny that people comment on how unrealistic this or that scene is, and nobody comments on the fact that Alexandra Daddario is struggling to find a boyfriend.

Agreed, she doesn't come across as crazy at all. Vengeful, angry, and a bit of a drama llama, maybe. But her reactions thus far have been pretty understandable.

Yeah, it just seemed to me to be pretty much the standard pettiness on both their parts that inevitably occurs in these situations. The passionate lust quickly turned to passionate hatred and that's pretty much what has to be worked through before progressing on to not having feelings for the other person at all. Then throw in a bit of control struggle on top of that: it was as if the mistress thought "Oh yeah! You think you're just gonna drop me and walk away?! Well, we're not ending this on your terms, we're ending this on my terms!" ~ burns rubber to Maggie's house. :dunno:

Hart brought it all on himself and, of course, Rust definitely feels they have bigger fish to fry so he needs his partner on his game ;)

Again, the show has only aired four of the eight episodes, but what stands out as a disappointment for this reviewer thus far is not that a character like Rustin Cohle exists and is allowed to wax poetically on our futile plight as randomly mutated protoplasm – it’s that there is no character to challenge him on his Freshmen Philosophy 101 blather.
Det. Hart (Harrelson) is his partner and a man who, on the surface, has the Christian faith, nuclear family, and personal hygiene habits to serve as a rampart against the onslaught of pessimism oozing out of True Detective’s every orifice. But it doesn’t take long at all to learn that Hart has no heart and is the lost, philandering booze-hound we guessed him to be. And apart from a manipulative tent preacher we only see for a few minutes in one episode, faith in God is portrayed as little more than a crutch that weak people employ in hopes that it can help society keep from crumbling.
There’s nothing wrong with a slate full of flawed characters. I’m not asking for puppy dogs and warm embraces in a dewy meadow. As a fan of the writings of authors such as Fyodor Dostoevsky, I do not shy away from difficult subject matter or the exploration of mankind’s depravity – within reason, of course.
But there are thoughtful rebuttals to the worldview of the Rustin Cohle’s of the world and when so many modern storytellers keep them muzzled they handicap their story’s ability to break free from the pack and become truly great works of art.

Archived