[Spoilers] HBO's True Detective discussion thread

Mark Antony

To my knowledge he only uses his gun a single time, against the guy the Bikers have lead them to the stash-house, though I don't know why. The point is that, just as Hart said to him during the Revival Preaching, Rust seems to care an awful lot about an existence he claims is meaningless.

Rust still doesn't use his gun other than to pistol whip and threaten.

The tall biker from the living room saw Rust hitting Ginger and figured he was a rat (or at least betraying them). He came into the kitchen, intending to kill Rust and save Ginger - but Rust knocked the gun to the side at the last second. The gun went off and the shot hit Tiger in the stomach.

You hear Rust growl in frustration - he didn't want anyone to get hurt even though it was pretty much assured that things weren't going to go smoothly. (I guess the only way one could think a 'plan' like that would work would be coked up out of their head idiots... "so you have an exit plan?" :idea: )

The tall biker from the living room saw Rust hitting Ginger and figured he was a rat (or at least betraying them). He came into the kitchen, intending to kill Rust and save Ginger - but Rust knocked the gun to the side at the last second. The gun went off and the shot hit Tiger in the stomach.

You hear Rust growl in frustration - he didn't want anyone to get hurt even though it was pretty much assured that things weren't going to go smoothly. (I guess the only way one could think a 'plan' like that would work would be coked up out of their head idiots... "so you have an exit plan?" :idea: )

This is probably splitting hairs, but I assumed they were high on meth

This is probably splitting hairs, but I assumed they were high on meth

I've never done any kind of drug (not even cigarettes), so I'm not sure what they were doing other than the coke that Rust brought as enticement for Ginger.

They could have been shooting purple elephant spit into their bodies and I'd have to take their word for it, :dunno:

That tall biker then stumbled out of the house and got shot in the head by some of the ghetto's inhabitants. I'm betting that third biker got killed too, which means there are no witnesses left who can identify Cohle should the police interrogate them. (Those in the house only saw him briefly, and I doubt they paid attention to his facial features amidst all the action.)

Do you people think this show has a chance of ruining Breaking Bad's sweep at the Emmy's this year? Cranston is pretty safe in the boat, despite how great McConaughey is, but it has a real shot at the Best Drama category (something everyone assumed would befall BB again).

Do you people think this show has a chance of ruining Breaking Bad's sweep at the Emmy's this year? Cranston is pretty safe in the boat, despite how great McConaughey is, but it has a real shot at the Best Drama category (something everyone assumed would befall BB again).

Thought BB had it all locked up but now I'm not sure. There's still a few episodes of True Detective left, but I'd probably give it to McConaughey over Cranston. I thought Dean Harris and Aaron Paul were more notable in the final season of BB than Cranston was.

But ultimately it's all a popularity contest, so who knows who they'll pick.

Rust is such a wounded man. I don't blame him for being angry/against religion. We still don't know what happened to him. He "messed up" and had to spend four years doing some nasty undercover work? It seems to me like he is trying to pay for something he did. He really didn't want to take Ginger's mystery drug or job. He kept telling Ginger to finish and get the heck out. His number one job was to get what's his name location from Ginger and he did what he had to with the least amount of involvement.

Yes, he's a gray character but I think he is an inherently good guy.

I think Breaking Bad will have a couple of disadvantages going into next years Emmy's, but this show won't be one of them, as it'll be nominated under the Mini-Series category.

I don't know if Matt gets it over Cranston. That performance in 'Ozymandias' was jaw-dropping from start to finish.

And Khal-a-bunga is right, as TD will be in the mini-series category (at least from what I've been reading). So BB looks to be safe from TD and will probably rack up several awards.

Rust is such a wounded man. I don't blame him for being angry/against religion. We still don't know what happened to him. He "messed up" and had to spend four years doing some nasty undercover work? It seems to me like he is trying to pay for something he did. He really didn't want to take Ginger's mystery drug or job. He kept telling Ginger to finish and get the heck out. His number one job was to get what's his name location from Ginger and he did what he had to with the least amount of involvement.

Yes, he's a gray character but I think he is an inherently good guy.

I agree and this is why I really want more info on Cohle's motivation. I'm completely spitballin' here but it wouldn't surprise me if the story of Rust's daughter's death isn't true and he is somehow more responsible for it. :dunno:

I agree and this is why I really want more info on Cohle's motivation. I'm completely spitballin' here but it wouldn't surprise me if the story of Rust's daughter's death isn't true and he is somehow more responsible for it. :dunno:

Seems to me he's pretty responsible regardless. What's a 2 year old doing outside, riding a trike without supervision? If that happened on his watch, he's responsible. I realize we don't have much in the way of detail, but if he was in the vicinity when it occurred I have to imagine the guilt more or less hollowed him out.

Carcosa, the Lovecraftian location mentioned in the journal (Not sure if anyone linked to this)

=-=-=

I thought we knew Rust had to do the undercover stuff because he murdered an addict who injected their own baby with meth?

I think Rust did create a plan that gives him a chance to do drugs, but I agree with Bai that he did regret what he'd gotten himself into when he was with the bikers.

I really enjoyed episode 4, but I'm a little concerned. As others have pointed out, this felt like a coincidence-driven episode rather than a true detective one (ha!). With the writer's comments about the series' structure (eg. how it's split into three acts), I'm worried that the next act will take the show away from the investigation (which I enjoyed a lot and thought was masterfully done) and towards an overly action-based style that, tracking shots aside, they are not as good at. I don't want a Homeland Season 1/Season 2 dichotomy here!

ST

I really enjoyed episode 4, but I'm a little concerned. As others have pointed out, this felt like a coincidence-driven episode rather than a true detective one (ha!). With the writer's comments about the series' structure (eg. how it's split into three acts), I'm worried that the next act will take the show away from the investigation (which I enjoyed a lot and thought was masterfully done) and towards an overly action-based style that, tracking shots aside, they are not as good at. I don't want a Homeland Season 1/Season 2 dichotomy here!

ST

Agreed. I hope episode 4's fast pace and action scene was a one-off. It was amazing beyond words, but I don't want the atmospheric and methodical investigation side of things to get forgotten. It's what made this show so different (among other things).

Archived