[Spoilers] HBO's True Detective discussion thread

Mark Antony

Holy fucking shit. That last tracking shot was some of the most intense things I've ever watched. My heart is still racing. As other has pointed out, it reminds of a certain scene in Children of Men (check it out if you haven't).

Indeed, the lost art of cinematography. That scene really had me on edge, even though logically you know he's going to make it out okay.

Wow. These first 4 episodes have been nearly flawless and this show is certainly becoming one of HBO's best.

I love how even though McConaughey owned the first 2 episodes, Harrelson is coming into his own with his character. I was grinning during the whole scene with the 2 of them at the bar. "You got a hell of a bedside manner" and the raising the ceiling bit was just too funny. It was the closest to camaraderie these two have ever had.

The investigating detectives gave off the most suspicious vibe in this episode compared to the others. This seems natural given Cohle's personal leave and what really went down, but I wonder if the interrogation aspect of the interview will continue to deepen. Loved that scene where he stole the coke too.. "There really should be a better system for this."

My heart was racing when they were robbing the stash house. The "30 seconds, in and out, ginger" bit with the camera panning made that scene so much more intense. Somewhere in the back of my mind I was hoping for a scene like this given the previews. Not the single tracking camera shot, but a drug shootout with a lot of tension in it. They pulled that off beautifully.

My heart was racing when they were robbing the stash house. The "30 seconds, in and out, ginger" bit with the camera panning made that scene so much more intense. Somewhere in the back of my mind I was hoping for a scene like this given the previews. Not the single tracking camera shot, but a drug shootout with a lot of tension in it. They pulled that off beautifully.

I didn't know what to expect given the preview; my hope was that the shootout scene wouldn't be too by-the-numbers or cheesy with over the top action. And then they hit us with a spot-on perfect masterpiece. This show has yet to let me down.

As you point out there were a number of great Cohle/Hart interaction scenes. One that stuck out for me was Rust's decision to not be truthful with Marty about his meeting with Maggie at the diner. Although his nature is to be devastatingly honest in such a circumstance, he knew that Marty needed that sliver of hope to hang onto in order to focus on the task at hand.

As you point out there were a number of great Cohle/Hart interaction scenes. One that stuck out for me was Rust's decision to not be truthful with Marty about his meeting with Maggie at the diner. Although his nature is to be devastatingly honest in such a circumstance, he knew that Marty needed that sliver of hope to hang onto in order to focus on the task at hand.

Exactly. I noticed that, too. I also took note of the fact that while Rust repeatedly tells Marty that his marriage woes are none of his business he nonetheless did try to play intermediary between them (perhaps for the same reason as above - to get Marty's head right for the case). Also, I found it interesting that while Marty seems to revel in telling Rust off, etc. he nonetheless didn't hesitate to go into the extremely hostile biker bar to try to keep track of him. These two are not friends per se but they do seem to be good partners that seem to "have each other's back". Perhaps a little more support for the idea that they may still be "in cahoots"?

I'm a little confused about something. Rust said he would need to take some personal time (maybe a couple of weeks) to go back undercover with the biker gang. But he didn't seem to need nearly that long (or maybe I'm wrong about that). Also, Marty was there with him so did he also take some personal time at the same time as Rust? If that's the case, it could look quite suspicious to the interrogators. Of course, the interrogators are already onto Rust's lie about seeing his father because he had leukemia.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe a suspect or someone else involved in the ritual killings case ended up dead under suspicious circumstances and now the authorities are looking long and hard at Rust and Marty for it? Maybe they are suspected of dispensing their own "justice", so to speak?

Seems like a mighty long wait to investigate - we are in present day vs. what, 1992?

Rust's need to go 'deep cover' is the only thing in the plot that doesn't hold water to me, but I'm not a cop, so I have no idea if this is how it really works. I would think, though, that you would run into problems with making evidence inadmissible and all that jazz.

I'm a little confused about something. Rust said he would need to take some personal time (maybe a couple of weeks) to go back undercover with the biker gang. But he didn't seem to need nearly that long (or maybe I'm wrong about that). Also, Marty was there with him so did he also take some personal time at the same time as Rust? If that's the case, it could look quite suspicious to the interrogators. Of course, the interrogators are already onto Rust's lie about seeing his father because he had leukemia.

Rust made one or more visits to Texas ahead of the events in the final scene, to get back in with some of his old contacts and let his presence be known to the Iron Crusaders. At some point he returned to tell Marty that the ringleader "wants to meet with him" which led to the pair's visit to the bayou honkytonk and subsequent mayhem.

While Rust was working his contacts I presumed that Marty continued his day to day routine (as best he could, considering his personal circumstances).

Seems like a mighty long wait to investigate - we are in present day vs. what, 1992?

Rust's need to go 'deep cover' is the only thing in the plot that doesn't hold water to me, but I'm not a cop, so I have no idea if this is how it really works. I would think, though, that you would run into problems with making evidence inadmissible and all that jazz.

I thought the part where he beats up a biker and two black guys on his perfectly timed exodus from a rioting ghetto was pretty realistic.

2012 for the interviews vs 1995 for the original murder.

I got the impression that they couldn't find Ladoux (Marty says "after he skipped his parole meeting, he became a ghost") and the only lead they had was him selling meth to a single distrubutor, the biker gang. Other than sitting on the bikers in hopes that they'd meet up with Ladoux at some point, I think they were at a complete loss. With Cohle's past cover, makes sense for him to go undercover to try to find an address for Ladoux. Not sure anything would be inadmissible since all they're looking for is a location.

I think its 1993 or 1994 or 1995- the father-in-law mentioned how the country was going in the wrong direction and gave, as an example, Clinton- so you have to assume its AFTER the "country" elected him President. Its not the Winter so assume its 1993 or later 1994.

But the time period doesn't seem to matter; in fact some of the charm is that this story takes place "before" - that the setting happened in this neo-supernatural "place." Those concepts are - ALMOST - not real; there is no "year" and there is no "location; the story happened in this "place" and it happened "before."

Also, would the captain really approve time off when Rust's investigating a major murder case? At the very least, I'd think he'd use that as an opportunity to handoff the case to the task force.

Still, it led to an amazing set piece, so I'm willing to forgive any small plot holes here.

Also, would the captain really approve time off when Rust's investigating a major murder case? At the very least, I'd think he'd use that as an opportunity to handoff the case to the task force.

Still, it led to an amazing set piece, so I'm willing to forgive any small plot holes here.

Maybe if his father really was sick. Solving a murder case is important and all that, but probably not as important as saying good bye to your dying father. There are other detectives after all.

Marty did say that they got some leeway on the murder case because they found a suspect.

I imagine the idea is that once they get a location on Ledoux they just ditch the biker guy and then come up with some bullshit explanation for how they found him without mentioning the incident at all (and clearly, from what we're being shown, Rust's detour with the biker gang was not a part of the official story).

That having been said, I agree that Rust's "deep cover" bit doesn't hold water for me. This was an intense, beautifully directed episode. The lengthy uncut shot of Rust's escape from the projects was technically dazzling and extremely engaging.

That being said, basically the entire episode rang false for me and might have destroyed the kind of credibility the show had earned over the course of the first three episodes. I think narrative integrity really took a hit in favor of pure plot mechanics - Marty's happening to find the one guy they needed at the rave the first time he follows the stripper just so happens to lead them to the one Texas biker gang that Rust just so happened to have gone "deep undercover" in and his attempt to go back in "off the books" just so happened to lead to a drug-fueled, immediate, same-night raid on a drug house in the projects. It was all very beautiful and skillfully done, but there's so much about that chain of events that I just don't buy into.

Honestly, there's a ton of unrealistic stuff here. I pay it no mind.

No cop would be willing to risk insane danger, employment, drug addiction, etc. and everything else involved here to solve a murder case. Rust is utterly mad.

Honestly, there's a ton of unrealistic stuff here. I pay it no mind.

No cop would be willing to risk insane danger, employment, drug addiction, etc. and everything else involved here to solve a murder case. Rust is utterly mad.

I totally agree. That's also part of what rang false to me. I get it - Rust has a death wish, blah blah blah. I don't get that he'd go through this to find a murder suspect. More significantly, I don't think he'd agree to a raid on a drughouse in the projects in order to find Ledoux, knowing how many innocent people could have, and by the looks of things, probably were, killed in the crossfire.

But the time period doesn't seem to matter; in fact some of the charm is that this story takes place "before" - that the setting happened in this neo-supernatural "place." Those concepts are - ALMOST - not real; there is no "year" and there is no "location; the story happened in this "place" and it happened "before."

It happened in Louisiana in 1995, and they state the specific locations regularly.

BTW, why was the police helicopter already on to the bikers' car before they reached the drug house and the shootout began? And why didn't the bikers notice it and realize something was wrong?

I totally agree. That's also part of what rang false to me. I get it - Rust has a death wish, blah blah blah. I don't get that he'd go through this to find a murder suspect. More significantly, I don't think he'd agree to a raid on a drughouse in the projects in order to find Ledoux, knowing how many innocent people could have, and by the looks of things, probably were, killed in the crossfire.

I didn't get the impression he had a choice. These aren't exactly boyscouts he's dealing with and Ginger was clearly worried about Cohle just popping up out of nowhere. If Cohle turns him down, what happens next? They shake hands and part ways? Additionally, a former undercover narc going back undercover in a gang he previously had a cover with (note: this isn't the only one...Cohle was undercover multiple times over a 4 year span so more or less any major criminal element from Texas would probably have been on his radar) doesn't seem all that far stretched, especially for a ritual killing that seems tied to another killing and bodes ill for the future and possibly more killings.

It's fine though, with me. He's our crazy nihilist hero on a mission, and it's something fun. A "realistic" cop show where the cop interviews a few people, files paper work and goes home probably wouldn't have the same impact. ;)

Archived