character hatred

north of the wall

I have noticed some characters get a lot of hate on this forum. And just like everyone else I have fav characters and not fav ones. However while I might not like them I usually appreciate them for all they contribute to the story and how it would not be the same story without them.

For example without Dany there would be no dragons. Without Roose no red wedding. Without Joffery means no death of Ned which would ultimately mean no story.

So I was wondering if you could get rid of your most hated character from the story completely would you? Or would it change the story too much?

My 3 most hated characters would be Ramsey, Lady Stoneheart and Cersei (out of the alive characters that is) but I would not wipe them from the story... (just pray for they eventual and inevitable death)

So you cannot think of any personality or plot that her actual character brings forth? This proves Dany contributes nothing to the story.

Lol. I can think of plotlines such as Mereen and Astapor but I'm not entirely sure they really contribute much. I'm fairly sure it wouldn't change anything that has happened yet in Westeros but I believe she will be important soon. But this is just me. I'm a bit "meh" on Dany. I have no strong feelings for her either way. I'm sure a Dany supporter or hater may have very differnt oppinions.

Lol. I can think of plotlines such as Mereen and Astapor but I'm not entirely sure they really contribute much. I'm fairly sure it wouldn't change anything that has happened yet in Westeros but I believe she will be important soon. But this is just me. I'm a bit "meh" on Dany. I have no strong feelings for her either way. I'm sure a Dany supporter or hater may have very differnt oppinions.

finally! a brother in arms at last!

are you saying Hot-pie or Areo Hotah does?

i agree with the OP that of all the characters, none of them should have never been writen.

Not to be an ass but Hotah brings us Dorne a nation that will decide who is king.

Not to be an ass but Hotah brings us Dorne a nation that will decide who is king.

Agreed. Although whether who they decide stays king is a whole nother story.

Hot Pie adds to Arya's story and theme of feeling abandoned by people she gets close to. While he may not effect the story in a mass way he is also as far as I know not a "hated" character.

I hate a character because of their actions and personality, not what they add to the plot ( I admire the author for that, not the character). For example, I can't stand Joffrey but I appreciate him as a complex character who adds to the story. He was invented to be hated by the reader.

Ironically, the two most loved characters by the show watchers are the ones that get allot of hate on here- Tyrion and Dany. The reverse can be said for Stannis (he is worshipped on here). I always found that weird (and funny) when I first found this forum.

For me, one of the things GRRM does best is make you sympathize with unlikable characters. I always hated Jaime until we got his first POV chapter, and I then found him weirdly likable and sympathetic.

Having said that, I do sort of hate Brienne as a character. A horrible thing to write, but it's true. I mean, I get it, it's cool that she's a big strong woman with a sword, but I've always found her to be a little devoid of personality. She's an honorable, 'good' character and everything, but I wouldn't mind too much if her POV's weren't in the books.

Character journeys are interesting. (my journeys with the characters - I've hated all of them at some point)

Jaime, hated now loved.

Tyrion, loved now ambivalent.

Theon, loved then hated now loved.

Cat, loved then creeped out.

Jon, Arya, Dany, loved, now confused.

Sansa, loved, now confused.

Mance, hated, now respected.

Cersei, hated, now pitied.

Tommen and Mycella, ambivalent, now liked.

Stannis, ambivalent, now adored.

Bloodraven, confused then feared then respected.

Bran, loved, now annoyed.

-

If GRRM continues to flip, the Lannisters will end up the heroes, and the Starks the villains.

I don't hate any characters in the story even the Joffreys, Ramseys, etc I can appreciate as villains. Obviously I like some more than others and some I find boring but I definitely wouldn't want to get rid of any of them.

Pretty much this.

The level of hate some characters get actually baffles me, they are fictional characters, you would think some people were personally harmed by them, judging by some of the statements I've seen.

Pretty much this.

The level of hate some characters get actually baffles me, they are fictional characters, you would think some people were personally harmed by them, judging by some of the statements I've seen.

It's a tribute to how well-written the series is.

WRT the show, the actors who play Jaime, Cersei, and Sansa have been abused by people who can't separate them from their alter egos.

I hate the Lannisters, Boltons, and Freys. But I love to hate them, if you get my meaning.

totally understand the LOVE TO HATE feeling. this is how I feel too.

I also understand culling some chapters but not culling entire POV's. Yeah there's some that I'm not keen on but without them we wouldn't get to see something/where.

Archived