True Detective Thread VII... or is it Thread I? Time is a circle

Howdyphillip

In his defense I don't think that's what happened. He thought the idea that if Rust had ignored Marty's honking and just spoken to the guy for another few minutes he would have cracked the case was absurd. Assuming we're talking about the same guy. There have been a lot of these threads.

I missed that, where is it mentioned?

I'm not sure the original poster literally thought the 2(later known as 10) minute thing was true. I think it was more a case of dramatic irony (i think that term fits) where they made the 2 min claim on screen and in screen time the meeting was under that time-limit. It would have been a neat touch.

Does anybody else crack up reading this stuff? Marty has butt cancer because he once mentioned ass cancer?

I hope it's mainly ironic otherwise it's a case of the broken watch being right twice a day. I do enjoy the streaming consciousness though - I think Maple would get on well with Rusty.

Well, that's also where the Wellspring school project was so it makes a bit of sense though Rust did call out that there were more on the bayou and wasn't entirely sure why. Stands to reason all of the families are from there and it seemed Lawnmower Man knew his way around.

Yeah. I've got that image of the various men in that one picture with what looked like hoods...aren't some of the Mardi Gras groups/clubs/collectives/whateverthey'recalled very old and traditional and elitist? More and more this seems to be a case of a very old group with some very old ideas that is something that seethes under the surface of the area...

I think that makes sense.

As for the episode, is it okay to still be blown away by so much, yet feel a little underwhelmed by last night? Which, mind you, I feel like that it was by design to walk away with that impression going into the final episode...

As for the episode, is it okay to still be blown away by so much, yet feel a little underwhelmed by last night? Which, mind you, I feel like that it was by design to walk away with that impression going into the final episode...

I think so. Part of that is because of threads like these where every little bit is analyzed so when they do big reveals like the end which was already discussed ad naseum, it seems underwhelming.

Ginger's last name is Childress. And so is Relic's. And so is kalbear's.

And Maple's last name is Tuttle.

I wasn't sure if any of you knew this or not. I just wanted to put it out there.

Because I'm helpful like that. :)

I think the show is setting us up for Marty to die in his last stand because he actually does have cancer. I don't know if it will actually happen or not. I think there have been a lot of intentional red herrings and the ending will be surprising. I have a feeling the main players will get away and someone else is going to take the fall starting the circle again with the two detectives on the case. Or maybe not. This show is hard to predict.

To each his own.

I think the original pace and other trappings (nihilistic rants) was getting old by episode 3, and I am happy with the various ways the story has shifted.

Yeah, I always thought the nihilistic rants were supposed to show how conflicted Cohle is. I don't think that could have been kept up without coming off as trying too hard to force a rather melodramatic message down the reader's throats.

We've been introduced to the notion of child sacrifice. And other horrors. The 3? women that have been shown. 2 displayed. 1 Rust found a crime scene photo of and connected her with the others because of the stomach stab wounds - all seemed to match.

I was just wondering after reading your post. What if those women were pregnant?

Can't really get more "pure" and "innocent" than an unborn child of a believer. As far as human sacrifice of innocence goes. I suppose.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. They have this group sex ritual with the five horseman where the victim is impregnated. Then, the victim is hunted more or less. Then killed and staged.

Some maple thoughts that are amusing:

I still think the yet unseen character "Robert Domain" will have something to do with it all,

I also think Cohle staged the Lake Charles scene to flush this out. He is a hunter and he has been tracking tracking tracking for years, now he has to flush the target out in order to take it down.

As an aside: anyone else wondering if Cohle's whole story is a cover and he was in fact undercover for ? while with the Louisiana CID the whole time and then from 2002-2010 his off the grid years he was back into whatever real life he had??? Seems like 2002-2010 is a long time to be "off the grid" There is also another "undercover cop" listed in imdb for episode 8.

the woman did it and she's been doing it trying to get back at the guys that did her wrong long ago

so you assume that the tall man is the killer???? good lordy we have some sharp true detectives in our midst

the girl in Episode 6 preview says the man with the scars ... you made me watch ... So how do you know those scars are facial???

who has scars? remember: Cohle 3 gunshot scars

exactly where is the 'evidence' of a cult, I don't see it: there is evidence of 2 murders, missing persons, meth labs, cover-ups, and dysfunctional people, and detectives and a killer other than the Cult of Ginger there ain't no cult

it is not gonna be a "cult" of rich people killing women, that is just as realistic as aliens, NP is going for more scary, what is the scariest of all? someone willing to do bad things for their version of good

Cohle and Marty work together to stage the Lake Charles killing.

I say Maggie is the killer. Makes as much sense as any other theory and has as much evidence or proof right now. Look under our nose and pay attention.

Cohle ain't investigating the murders ... he's using them to get at something else Cohle ain't obsessed about justice for people he don't know and don't get paid enough to care, this is personal for him, what's he got that's personal - only one thing his daughter so he wants whoever took her away Cohle is the biggest unholy do-gooder of them all chasing other do-gooders who done him wrong All the themes about missing people ... Cohle is after what he is missing

It is 2012 and Cohle comes across a living female witness but she hangs herself rather than talk to Cohle. Like the jail cell suicide guy. Cohle goes to Hart and says I'm onto the real killer, Hart says we already caught the guy dude and I shot him, are you saying I shot the wrong guy? Cohle says yes and no and tells him that Hat owes him. So Hart and Cohle take the female witness' body and stage her in the antler etc. position at Lake Charles in 2012 to flush out the real killer. Hart is still wondering am I helping the one guy who is trying to solve the case (Cohle) or the killer (Cohle). And we are still wondering too. Why would Hart even go along with this unless he is the killer? But we don't know yet what to make.

We will learn that the killer and bad guy(s) are the worst of all evils: people with good intentions for whom the ends justify the means. Sheriff Tate or others in law enforcement have gone in and noted the "made in error" missing reports not to hide from locals that the girls are missing - they already know that - but to ensure these 'rescued' girls can continue their new life elsewhere safe and away from the abuse etc. in their lives. We've got ourselves a do-gooder here who gets caught up in all this, then has to cover a bit by killing a couple people to keep it quiet. It snowballs and they just dig themselves a hole.

leads to the Klan: these people are somehow connected or were connected and it makes sense it it the Klan, one of their former Klan guys is killing and the others know it but can't say anything or else risk losing their positions because of something they kept silent about in the past, now they have to stay silent over and over

I guarantee that scene will become a meme with people inserting videos on that screen (like an Adam Sandler film) and showing Woody's revulsion

Options for video inserts:

1) McConaughey's Oscar acceptance speech.

2) Miley twerking. It's getting old, but someone will do it.

3) Marty has a Red Wedding reaction video, but is indifferent to all the deaths.

4) Marty watching EdTV or Surfer Dude.

Options for video inserts:

1) McConaughey's Oscar acceptance speech.

2) Miley twerking. It's getting old, but someone will do it.

3) Marty has a Red Wedding reaction video, but is indifferent to all the deaths.

4) Marty watching EdTV or Surfer Dude.

Better yet, it's Marty's reaction to one of those Hitler memes that were all the rage a couple years ago...

So the episode mentions his oldest selling some paintings. What if at the end Hart or Cohle or just the viewers get to see one and it is yellow king inspired? Maybe has the spirals or wood structures involved. I just feel like we are not done with Marty's daughters

Finale synopsis released,

After their interrogation of Geraci yields new info but no critical breaks, Hart and Cohle find themselves back at square one. However, a seemingly arbitrary detail in a photograph, along with a homeowner's old tax records, provides the pair with a vital new lead in their 17-year-old case. The two men pursue the lead to an apocalyptic confrontation.

So the episode mentions his oldest selling some paintings. What if at the end Hart or Cohle or just the viewers get to see one and it is yellow king inspired? Maybe has the spirals or wood structures involved. I just feel like we are not done with Marty's daughters

I kind of feel the same way. Why spend all of the energy pointing out the dolls and the drawings if there isn't some sort of connection? But then, wouldn't that be a little too convenient?

+1.

I don't think it'll be Audrey as part of a cult. She probably didn't even get molested but was one of the girls made to watch.

I'm guessing the elderly black woman was also made to watch as well.

I think the depressing thing about episode 8 is how many people are part of this thing. It's a whole religion rather than a tiny group of rich folk, though naturally the rich people are in charge and get to do the killing.

Someone else alluded to it at the beginning of the thread, but I'm definitely suspicious of Maggie showing up at Rust's work. We didn't see her whole conversation with Marty, but it seemed we saw all of it that pertained to Rust, and he never mentioned what he does or where to find him- so she must have got that info from somewhere else.

Sure, it could be completely innocuous and irrelevant- this show has reveled in throwing plausible clues in all directions so we can only guess at what's the real one- but I think it's worth keeping in mind going into the next ep.

I think the depressing thing about episode 8 is how many people are part of this thing. It's a whole religion rather than a tiny group of rich folk, though naturally the rich people are in charge and get to do the killing.

Are there really that many people part of this? Looks like two families who are connected through blood and we don't even know how many of those people in the family are actually part of the actual rapings/killings or just covering up for their family.

Someone else alluded to it at the beginning of the thread, but I'm definitely suspicious of Maggie showing up at Rust's work. We didn't see her whole conversation with Marty, but it seemed we saw all of it that pertained to Rust, and he never mentioned what he does or where to find him- so she must have got that info from somewhere else.

Sure, it could be completely innocuous and irrelevant- this show has reveled in throwing plausible clues in all directions so we can only guess at what's the real one- but I think it's worth keeping in mind going into the next ep.

I think it's innocuous. Makes sense Maggie would go see Rust after finding out he's back in the picture and given Marty's "good bye".

Everything about that scene seemed innocuous, yet it set off alarm bells on what its purpose actually was...

Unfortunately, I guess it's an initiation thing. Some are worthy, others are not - all are abused. I think the adult was killed because she was maybe starting to talk, or because it was a very weird way of someone trying to draw attention to the cult to get it stamped out. eg some of the abused kids from the class may have staged her murder. Crackpot though.

My working theory is that there are actually two different, but related, conspiracies going on here. There's the Tuttle's Carcosa stuff, which has been going on since at least the '40s and involves quietly abducting, abusing, and (sometimes) killing children; and then there's someone (my guess is the Lawnmower Man, but it could be some other Tuttle/Childress) who is using the same iconography, but much more publicly and with adults. It just doesn't make sense for this careful, secretive cult to decide to sometimes leave very public proof of their existence; the '95 and '12 killingd don't fit their MO. I think someone who knew about Carcosa, and was involved, started having their own ideas about should be done in the Yellow King's name.

That's why the Tuttles were pushing for the Task Force to quickly cover up the public crime so they could get back to their private ones

Archived