[Spoilers] True Detective VIII - Without Ginger There is No You

Relic

@Kalbear: Excellent Analysis.

Thou doth protest too much. Rust's nihilism was his mask.

He was always a positive person, who developed a negativity and nihilism as a way to cope with the death of his daughter and the dissolving of his marriage, instead of facing it head on. When he awoke from his coma his mask was removed and he was finally able to express his pain like a normal human being would.

I never fully believed, and got the impression that he himself didn't either, any of his ramblings. The hope that he expresses at the end is the real Rustin Cohle.

Yup. I think people who wanted a confirmation of their own interests in this show were likely to be disappointed. Rust and Marty had to take off their masks, so to speak, otherwise we wouldn't have any character arcs.

Marty calls it early on, when he notes how panicked Rust sounds.

Rust likely thinks religion is still for idiots but accepts the possibility of something out there...though it's unclear whether it was a dream he wanted to sink into, just the perfect way to die that he was denied, or if it was a real supernatural thing he felt.

I think it was as much about accepting love and the pain and heartache that comes with it as it was about accepting anything supernatural.

Which would have tied in with his idea of crucifixion and what it would take to allow yourself to be butchered for the greater good.

I was convinced he was dead too, especially after being practically gutted.

Exactly. This is what we all sadly expected, which is why I was so happy that he lived with or without epiphany! :D

I guess Rust being positive was the most unhollywood thing to do. It would have been the typical, easy thing for him to stay bitter and nihilistic. Instead he got something of a bittersweet ending; he felt his daughter's love again, and had it pulled away from him. It was hugely surprising to me. I was completely expecting him to die and Marty to sing his praises.

Instead, after a near death experience facing what is as close to true evil as anyone will ever see in their life, he finds some semblance of grace. And it breaks him. The horror didn't break him. The evil or the bodily wounds didn't. His daughter's love did.

:bawl: So beautiful and true...

@Kalbear: Excellent Analysis.

Yup. I think people who wanted a confirmation of their own interests in this show were likely to be disappointed. Rust and Marty had to take off their masks, so to speak, otherwise we wouldn't have any character arcs.

Marty calls it early on, when he notes how panicked Rust sounds.

Rust likely thinks religion is still for idiots but accepts the possibility of something out there...though it's unclear whether it was a dream he wanted to sink into, just the perfect way to die that he was denied, or if it was a real supernatural thing he felt.

I think it was as much about accepting love and the pain and heartache that comes with it as it was about accepting anything supernatural.

All I can say is well-said.

It reminded me of Princess Bride a little bit.

hahaha - me too. When he hollered, "No!" and ran off, I snorted. It was so tense, but really funny.

But he shot his dog. WHY? :( He was a good old chap.

hahaha - me too. When he hollered, "No!" and ran off, I snorted. It was so tense, but really funny.

But he shot his dog. WHY? :( He was a good old chap.

I was more upset about him killing his dog than about the mass grave in his yard.

RIP Serial killer puppy.

awesome stuff

So very well-said, Kal. This is also how I interpreted it as well. And while I don't subscribe to a religious, spiritual or supernatural reading to the proceedings (Rust and I would both explain that as spurious neurotransmitters), I think that Rust's journey to that sliver of grace -- that sliver of grief -- is what makes the ending so much more human, and therefore powerful.

So very well-said, Kal. This is also how I interpreted it as well. And while I don't subscribe to a religious, spiritual or supernatural reading to the proceedings (Rust and I would both explain that as spurious neurotransmitters), I think that Rust's journey to that sliver of grace -- that sliver of grief -- is what makes the ending so much more human, and therefore powerful.

<3. One of the many reason why I love you, Xray.

I like all those words kalbear wrote together.

ES he shot the dog because it alerted Rust to his whereabouts so it was either punishment or to prevent the dog from further giving him away (as he ran through the maze to get to the Tri Wizards Cup before Harry Potter).

Archived