TWOW. Tyrion Chapter from ASOIAF App (Spoilers)

Tyrion is going to ride viserion. If you have read the "Princess and Queen," you would have noticed that dragons have a bond with certain characters and when their life is threatened (which happens in the tyrion chapter when the slaver threatens him) that dragon quickly takes over the scene with violence. Also, Tyrion is def not Tywin's son but is the mad kings. There is a reason why Tyrion has the most chapters in the series and has a very different arc than most of the characters which has led him to Danny! Plus, all the foreshadowing?!

Also, despite his size, Tryion is a natural born leader, who is witty and understands the necessity of being smart. He has very similar qualities as some of the Targaryens of the past.

You should be careful about stating opinions and theories as facts. Unless you are GRRM you dont know these things, particularly not Tyrion as the son of Aerys, for which there is substantial evidence against it and little evidence for it.

HAHA, I take it you are not the biggest Tyrion fan then Ser Creighton ... :rolleyes:

No I like Tyrion for the most part, it's just when Danger rears it's ugly head, it's almost like Tyrion knows he is plot armored. You know Tyrion points out he was rather suicidal recently but suddenly decides hey I want to live, which I feel is very Tyrion writing sense Dance. I know Martin had problems writing Tyrion in Dance which he mentioned and I feel that is true and he is trying to put it behind him but trying a little to hard, like going for A to C but skipping B. even when he is in the worst place of his life he is still outsmarting everyone without even trying. I thought Martin struggled to take him to a explainable dark place for the character and part of that is Tyrion is so built up. At times Tyrion is in a Dark place in Dance, but other times he feels like regular old Tyrion outsmarting everyone on a whim. But he wanted to make him darker so he did the extreme with the whore scene, which appears a reflection of his anger towards Sansa, and I am not really sure if it is because he feels Sansa killed Joff and framed him, or just because he is angry at her, and the very rational part of his brain works for everything else but that topic. Which it really should be a focus for anyone, and he should be able to piece it out. Or is he angry with her because after his family slaughtered hers, they forced her to marry him and she was upset about it. Suddenly he couldn't piece that together.

I get he like other characters has a certain amount of plot armor and that's fine, But not effected by grey scale, beating a knight on a horse with his helmet, and the BBP deal tend to bother me. It's like hey I shouldn't be a great warrior but I am, and I am super smart, lucky and an acrobat. He just feels forced at times.

The deal he made in Dance just did not sit well with me. He walks into BBP and the second sons tent and within a few pages has them working for him. BBP talks about taking his head to the Queen which makes sense. Tyrion points out his head will probably rot and she won't pay you. BBP says well I can just take you alive. The Queen has the power, the money and everything else, Tyrion is a penniless Dwarf in chains, well he has one Penny, but says this to BBP,

“Or throw in with me. That’s the wisest move.” He grinned.”

No, no it's not, taking him to the Queen is the smart move no question.

But he basically says get me some wine, will take Casterly Rock, and will all be rich, lets sign some papers. And this is somehow a good idea to anyone. All they have to do to get the Rock is take over Westeros, with what 200 men and a fugitive dwarf with no money who is wanted by the crown.

Now lets say Tyrion gets a dragon, or Jon or someone else, I am totally fine with that. But they better pay the price for the Dragon, no bullshit freebees, Dany paid the reapers price for those Dragons, so if a dude with a horn that was given to him or Tyrion just says look I am clever let me ride you, then it's pretty much bullshit in my mind. Power isn't cheap easy or free. With Tyrion I worry it will be, just like how he got the Second Sons. Which wasn't even clever, it was just hey ummm I promise you all this stuff I don't have and have no way of getting.

I don't understand why this chapter couldn't have been included in Dance; it really tied Tyrion's arc for the book together. Are the publishers really confronted by such a strict page limit?

That was my only lasting complaint with ADWD- that a couple of stories, that seemed like that would be somewhat contained within the book, did not resolve or leave off on conclusory events, while the epilogue, Varys killing Pycelle and Kevan and ranting about Aegon, was totally out of the blue.

I think the editors really failed GRRM here. If he had included the Barristan chapters, Theon I, and this Tyrion chapter, then finished with Dany and Drogon as the epilogue, people would have been a lot happier with it. It would have given some resolution to the Meereen and Iron Fleet build ups, given Tyrion's bizarre adventure something of a landing pad, allowed for some understanding of the Pink Letter and some clarification on Stannis's status, gives Stannis an inspirational moment of fearlessness, gives Theon's Dance plot a good, symmetric ending with Asha/his name, etc.

It's so odd that he and his editors have chosen this medium for such important plot points. Between books? Why?

definitely foreshadowing with the white dragon cyvasse piece landing near tyrions feet. Also sensed some Weirwood parallel ...with the yunkish slavers blood filled in the crevaces of the white dragon piece, making it appear veined with white.

But Yes it appears Tyrion will be riding Viserion, Though I don't want that to happen. With all the knowledge we have so far it appears that Dragons are drawn to Riders with Targaryen blood (but not always) as well as confidence, strength and "Manlyness" Warriors, fighters...

I don't see Tyrion as the warrior type.

Sorry had to repost that - I was the first to make weirwood connection.

Going further,

Tyrions memories of Tywin sitting on the hill as battle raged below him, making moves and commands as men died and he never so much as got near a corpse - along with the cyvasse playing - foreshadows that Tyrion will be leading Danys armies..

Wasn't there some mention of weirwood arrows being able to kill dragons?

Jon Snow will ride Viserion - Old Gods, Ghost - weirwood - Viserion

Victarion on the other hand, BAD ASS WARRIOR TYPE.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Nettles

I think it's possible the notion that dragon riders have to be Targaryen is just a cultural belief, like the belief they are fireproof and disease immune. It reminds me of the myth of divinity certain royal lines have had in history.

Was Nettles a dragon seed or was she really just savvy?

The story doesn't mention her being of Targaryen blood. If she had any substantial amount, I would be surprised. She's described as being brown-skinned with black hair and brown eyes. Can't get much farther from typical Targaryen features than that. To be fair, BBP is similar in appearance and it seems like he has a drop or two.

Two of the people identifying themselves as "dragonseeds" were hurt or killed trying to tame the same dragon.

Ok, late to the party but here are my general impressions:

- HBO: "We're gonna need a bigger budget". Seriously, this battle is like Pelennor Fields level of scale. I picture the dragons grabbing the scorpions and people like the wyverns of the Nazgul

- Man, Tyrion almost snapped there for a moment. That was some dark stuff, almost like a post-traumatic reaction or a sign of impending mental breakdown

- The white cyvasse dragon seems to be Bloodraven, with the red veins and all. I wonder if he's amongst the dragons Moqorro told Tyrion about.

- The battle is going too well for Dany, almost too well, I'd say. I think something has to go wrong now for her cause and then she'll arrive at the last moment with Drogon and a huge khalasar

- I liked the chapter but my excitement was somewhat hampered when I remember that this is Tyrion II and there's a whole chapter before of just Tyrion playing cyvasse. Same thing with the Arianne one. I hope WoW doesn't end being too overstuffed

It's Braavos' religion. Not only the Faceless Men's.

It is the Faceless Men's God. Braavosi have no particular God, hence why there are so many places of worship in the city. If they have any primary religion, its the Moonsingers. He of Many Faces is the "Death God" the FM follow

This talk of Tyrion riding Viserion reminds me of a joke:

An explorer in the jungles of Africa comes across an elephant with a thorn in its foot. He removes the thorn and bandages the wound. The elephant looks at him gratefully and lumbers off, never to see him again. A couple years later, the explorer is in the circus and sees an elephant staring at him constantly. He makes his way to the edge of the ring, and the elephant slowly moves over to him. Then, the elephant takes the man in his trunk, brings him into the middle of the ring, and tramples him to death. Turns out it was the wrong elephant.

What if Tyrion is destined to ride Rhaegal, and Jon rides Viserion? Besides, Rhaegal would match Tyrion's eyes better.

It is the Faceless Men's God. Braavosi have no particular God, hence why there are so many places of worship in the city. If they have any primary religion, its the Moonsingers. He of Many Faces is the "Death God" the FM follow

I stand corrected.

snip.

Ah I see, I agree Tyrion has the luck of the devil about him. He should have been dead half a hundred times by now.

I would like to see the other dragon riders have to pay as strong a price as our Queen Daenarys too if I think about it. Why should she loose her baby & her husband for the dragons but the other two riders just get a dragon. hmmm. I don't know what I want them to endure though gosh what price a dragon?

I did think the whole agreement with BBP was a bit unrealistic, but I'll suspend belief for the sake of the narrative, there are a few things I am willing to do that for in these stories. Like the coincidences and the abilities of certain very young fighters.

"I hope he found a better man to serve" - Tyrion talking about Podge.

Haha George always throws in little jokes.

Edit:

This might be the best Tyrion chapter since his final one ASOS. George's writing seems much more to the point than the last two books.

Quarth ships going up in flames? I hope the dragon horn worked!

IMO, it seems so obvious by know that Meerens Army will achive a major victory that I fear an imprevisible event will turn the tide of the battle in favor of Yunkai.

Yunkai is flanked, its navy is broken, the river mouth is secure by ironborn, it was taken by suprise in both flanks, the unsuilled are in formation, Merselens freed men (which we figured were among Danys weakest troops) proved to be good in battle, two mercenery companies are backstabbing then and so far the dragons are only hitting yunkai forces, spreading terror among the lines and, besides all that, nobody knows who is Yunkai supreme commander, and some orders were stupid, like seending mounted units to defend a fixed position.

All that considered, we expect only a major victory for Meeren and Barristan.

Unless, GRRM makes some plot twist to turn this battle fortune and break our hearts.....

Archived