Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - The Skye is Falling

The Anti-Targ

"If you were my agents, you wouldn't be for long." Uh, Hill, have you missed what SHIELD has been doing lately?

To revive the fun geography discussion: clearly the writers flunked that class in highschool, as they obviously don't know what "tundra" means.

And why is the US military taking over an installation in Canada? And why was important data stored in Coulson's grave, of all places?

Overall the show continues to be fun. I just didn't like Skye cracking when Ward's life was threatened. It's not like his betrayal is some kind of abstract to her, she's seen what he did to Koenig, she even called him a serial killer. And I'm afraid it might be the first step to "redeem" him, which is just not going to work for me.

Hmmm...still get the feeling that they're trying to set Ward up for some sort of redemption arc...

They only way they can "redeem" him is if Fury has set him up for deep, deep (nonsensical) undercover work. That there's an even bigger fish to fry than Garret (eg Baron von Strucker) or aliens or some shit. Problem with that is a) Garrett doesn't fully trust him and b) the scooby gang still aren't going to be happy with all the people he's killed.

At this point they have to keep him as a villain or kill him - maybe he is working for a greater good but only we'll get to find out. The rest think he's a traitor.

They only way they can "redeem" him is if Fury has set him up for deep, deep (nonsensical) undercover work. That there's an even bigger fish to fry than Garret (eg Baron von Strucker) or aliens or some shit. Problem with that is a) Garrett doesn't fully trust him and B) the scooby gang still aren't going to be happy with all the people he's killed.

At this point they have to keep him as a villain or kill him - maybe he is working for a greater good but only we'll get to find out. The rest think he's a traitor.

I don't think this is true, at least with these writers. I can very easily see them trying to dispel the notion that Ward owes Garrett everything and that he can be "good" or some stupid shit. Instead of worshipping Garrett for what he became, he can instead blame him and as we saw in his interaction with Skye, he doesn't really like the idea of being tied to Nazis. It's something that a lot of us won't be able to stomach because it's bullshit but they've said repeatedly how much Ward owes Garrett and these writers are anything but subtle.

I thought this episode was pretty good once you get past some of the plot failings (pretty much everything Jon mentioned above). Looks like all this show needed to get kickstarted was a catastrophic event to happen in another medium...

Yeah, this was good. I agree with the AV Club reviewer that said this would have been if released mid-season, but since this was ABC's biggest bet of the year, I suppose it was impossible.

I like angry, evil Ward. I hope they don't redeem him or kill him off just yet, every superhero story needs a good villain.

I like that this episode presented to the MCU hardass, bitchy Maria Hill as supposed to the generic agent she was before. It's a shame the MCU can't use the X-men, because in the comics she's never been better than when she's having one of her hilarious rants about them, specially Cyclops (made even funnier because she has the hots for him).

That was a solid episode. Kinda concerned about the way things are going with Ward though.

Also confused about Hill somewhat. I'm not totally sure from Cap 2 but:

She knows that Fury is alive, right? And Coulson knows too. So... was neither told that the other knows? derp

That was a solid episode. Kinda concerned about the way things are going with Ward though.

Also confused about Hill somewhat. I'm not totally sure from Cap 2 but:

She knows that Fury is alive, right? And Coulson knows too. So... was neither told that the other knows? derp

I can't remember exactly, but wasn't she talking to May, not Coulson? Fairly sure Koenig told Coulson he couldn't tell his team either, which I guess includes May?

No one in this thread wants him to be redeemed.

Excellent.

I've seen on other forums people bleating about how 'he's not bad, he's just Really deep cover' or 'he loves Skye, how can he possibly be really evil'. This is the 1st place I've seen that actually agrees with my keep him bad viewpoint.

Excellent.

I've seen on other forums people bleating about how 'he's not bad, he's just Really deep cover' or 'he loves Skye, how can he possibly be really evil'. This is the 1st place I've seen that actually agrees with my keep him bad viewpoint.

We're a more cynical bunch. We aren't shippers and we like good villains.

Excellent.

Yeah but that's BS as he has killed innocent folk (or at least SHIELD agents who weren't Hydra) and possibly a few cops too. He can still be "good" but only in the "greater good" sense. He's proper black ops and to be honest SHIELD should have plenty of them although of course we all know that Romanov was one (think there were 2-3 drinks to be had this episode). Maybe he'll stop being HYDRA and get a job doing Fury's dirty work (if he isn't already). That way there could even be occasions where he has to work alongside them. But as a member of the team - there's no good reason they'd ever accept him.

Do you think we'll get to see Man-thing if it gets another season? He did escape from the Fridge afterall. Convenient how it was only the human looking folk we saw escape.

Man-Thing would be fun.

And ladies and gentlespies, they're gonna redeem Ward through the aegis of the Life Model Decoy. You heard it here first. But next season will be the angst that the real Ward has never actually known the team and how will they react to him????

I can see only one way in which a Ward "redeemed" story would turn out even a little okay for me.

- He was loyal to SHIELD all along, working deep-cover with HYDRA.

- He's still not a good person. He legitmately murdered all those people because it was part of his mission to maintain the cover.

- This is because SHIELD is a very shady organisation in its own right with its own legitimate factions that aren't that far removed from HYDRA anyway.

Personally I really really don't want to see Ward redeemed at all, especially not by the power of twu wuv or anything. He works much better as a villain.

I actually think this was the best episode of the entire series so far. Honestly. I dare anyone to name a better episode. This one had some great tension (Skye and Ward in the diner / subsequent escape, Lola doing an Adama Maneuver, etc.), it had great character moments (I liked that Fitz and Skye really *reacted* to Ward's betrayal - just imagine how gut-wrenching those moments had been if we'd actually come to care about any of them during the last 20 episodes) and some solid integration into MCU mythology. We're truly seeing the aftermath of Cap 2 now, and like we all hoped, it's *not* just a 2-episode issue, it's a game changer. Truly well played so far.

Question: Did anyone notice that Deathlok received one of his text messages that referenced Garrett in third person ("Garrett can't wait anymore" or something). This obviously means that Garrett isn't the keyboard warrior who's doing the typing, but does this mean that someone else is still up for the role of Clairvoyant, or does he just have someone else doing the typing? A third option would be that Garrett is the Clairvoyant, but that he has an important and yet-unknown accomplice. Could revive the Zola theories.

Only two nitpicks for me were the humongous Nokia logo aaaand ... ANOTHER ROMANOFF MENTION! That's, what, 4 episodes in a row now? Does anyone actually keep tabs across scripts, or do they just let the writers go nuts?

Well. we haven't seen a single LMD in the MCU so far, so why not use it to ruin one of the best things the show has stumbled into?

I'm praying *hard* that Kevin Feige has put the hammer down on the use of LMD's *anywhere* because he realizes it would damage the entire mythology. Think about it. The moment one of the movies uses a LMD for any cheap purpose, it'll ruin the certainty of *any* character death, betrayal, etc. across the entire MCU. It would be seriously harmful to everything.

Only two nitpicks for me were the humongous Nokia logo aaaand ... ANOTHER ROMANOFF MENTION! That's, what, 4 episodes in a row now? Does anyone actually keep tabs across scripts, or do they just let the writers go nuts?

At some point they should switch over to the other SHIELD assassin in the Avengers. Poor Hawkeye keeps getting the short end of the stick.

Question: Did anyone notice that Deathlok received one of his text messages that referenced Garrett in third person ("Garrett can't wait anymore" or something). This obviously means that Garrett isn't the keyboard warrior who's doing the typing, but does this mean that someone else is still up for the role of Clairvoyant, or does he just have someone else doing the typing? A third option would be that Garrett is the Clairvoyant, but that he has an important and yet-unknown accomplice. Could revive the Zola theories.

I think it was 'Garrett says you've got five minutes' (with Skye) Which I took to mean he was just relaying the message direct from Garrett, so Ward knew that it was what Garrett said, not Deathlok. No reason Garrett couldn't have passed on that message.

I think it was 'Garrett says you've got five minutes' (with Skye) Which I took to mean he was just relaying the message direct from Garrett, so Ward knew that it was what Garrett said, not Deathlok. No reason Garrett couldn't have passed on that message.

We see the Deathlok 'vision interface' with the text, and the text itself refers to 'Garrett'.

Archived