Small questions v.10080

Angalin

Why are the Glovers of Deepwood Motte considered Masters instead of Lords?

The Glovers are what would be called a knightly house in the south. They hold land, but do not have the right to execute people who commit crimes on their land. They have to appeal to their lord for justice.

Speaking of knightly houses, an old question of mine...

What happens when the heir to a landed knight hasn't been knighted when he inherits?

I assume a similar scenario must have happened loads of times in real life medieval times too?

Speaking of knightly houses, an old question of mine...

What happens when the heir to a landed knight hasn't been knighted when he inherits?

I assume a similar scenario must have happened loads of times in real life medieval times too?

I would think it would depend on the type of estate. If the castle and land were held by the knight for the lord for life, then the son would not stand to inherit. But if the land had been granted in perpetuity then the son would inherit. Unless he were a total dufus though his dad could always knight him if need be.

November 22, 2003

Concerning the Dance of the Dragons

Hi, short question. Will we find out more about the Dance of the Dragons in future books?

The first dance or the second?

The second will be the subject of a book. The first will be mentioned from time to time, I'm sure.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Concerning_the_Dance_of_the_Dragons

ETA: Sorry, I'm having problems with the internet connection...

That's the SMM where says that there will be a second dance.

It's a fair assumption that a second dance with dragons will envolve, in one way or another, Dany, her dragons, and any other dragon pretender (aka fAegon and/or Jon). The expected dance floor is Westeros.

Any other than this, I did not find.

Anyone thought about the way the north executes deserters might have been influenced by someone back during the long night. Like somebody just up and said "hey if we cut off these ppls heads they can't come back as wights , but if we let em run away they'll die then come kill us" and maybe they've been doing it like that ever since?

I know this is small questions not silly random questions but just wondering if it's plausible

Anyone thought about the way the north executes deserters might have been influenced by someone back during the long night. Like somebody just up and said "hey if we cut off these ppls heads they can't come back as wights , but if we let em run away they'll die then come kill us" and maybe they've been doing it like that ever since?

I know this is small questions not silly random questions but just wondering if it's plausible

No it has more to do with the fact that beheading is a quick humane death and can be done anywhere (You dont need rope and a tree)The only other choices for killing people back then (besides extremely cruel methods burning etc) was hanging.And considering the Starks live by the Old Ways "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword" its not surprising that beheading is the method most used.

Also cutting the head off a wright doesnt stop them from coming back iirc only fire will.

I think they can come back as headless wights. They don't seem to play by George Romero's zombie rules.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Concerning_the_Dance_of_the_Dragons

ETA: Sorry, I'm having problems with the internet connection...

That's the SMM where says that there will be a second dance.

It's a fair assumption that a second dance with dragons will envolve, in one way or another, Dany, her dragons, and any other dragon pretender (aka fAegon and/or Jon). The expected dance floor is Westeros.

Any other than this, I did not find.

Is that really it? Because that makes it sound like the first dance is.older than the one we know of, which was already the subject of a book...And the only other indicator we have is

The Dornish girl from Arianne's winds chapter - "Everywhere the dragons danced, people died

This makes me.sckeptical of another Dance...

Is that really it? Because that makes it sound like the first dance is.older than the one we know of, which was already the subject of a book...And the only other indicator we have is

The Dornish girl from Arianne's winds chapter - "Everywhere the dragons danced, people died

This makes me.sckeptical of another Dance...

I think you might a little too skeptical. That statement was made long before TP&TQ was contemplated to be published in its current form.

In his experiments, Qyburn seems to be interested predominantly in women as his test subjects. His only male subjects are Gregor and the Blue Bard if I recall correctly, and I remember at least two instances when he asks Cersei for women specifically. Any ideas on why that is? It is even weirder when you consider that he is "bulding" a huge ass warrior.

Are the stark looking starks (Ned/Jon/Arya) supposed to be plain/unattractive or is this just assumed because people say they weren't as good looking as lyanna/brandon?

Jon is called a pretty boy on several occasions during his time with the wildlings. Arya is called pretty as well, by the Kindly Man, now that she's reaching puberty. So I wouldn't call them unattractive.

From Catelyns POV, it seems obvious that Brandon was more attractive in looks than Ned, but that doesn't mean that Ned is unattractive at all :p I'd call him more plain, or a bit between plain and attractive.

Jon is called a pretty boy on several occasions during his time with the wildlings. Arya is called pretty as well, by the Kindly Man, now that she's reaching puberty. So I wouldn't call them unattractive.

From Catelyns POV, it seems obvious that Brandon was more attractive in looks than Ned, but that doesn't mean that Ned is unattractive at all :p I'd call him more plain, or a bit between plain and attractive.

Ashara, that fine looking woman, was digging the Ned. Of course she was digging everybody bit still...

In his experiments, Qyburn seems to be interested predominantly in women as his test subjects. His only male subjects are Gregor and the Blue Bard if I recall correctly, and I remember at least two instances when he asks Cersei for women specifically. Any ideas on why that is? It is even weirder when you consider that he is "bulding" a huge ass warrior.

IIRC, Qyburn got in trouble for inquiries into life and death with living subjects. Women are thought of as life-givers, since they gestate children. I thought it was something to do with that, but I have no solid evidence, just conjecture.

IIRC, Qyburn got in trouble for inquiries into life and death with living subjects. Women are thought of as life-givers, since they gestate children. I thought it was something to do with that, but I have no solid evidence, just conjecture.

My equally as wild of speculation is that it is based on the fact that women can handle long term pain better than men.

I think he is vaguely inspired in Josef Mengele, whose experiments/tortures sometimes focused on pregnant women and their reproductive system.

When you see it like this, is just awful.

Archived