Vikings #4, On to Season 3

Black Wolf Smith

I still can't stand this guy. I hate him so much...

His AMA made me almost puke.

How can a guy so despicable helm such an amazing season and show is beyond me.

Yeah he came off kinda douchey

Don't know much about him, I did try to watch Tudors but couldn't get through like 3 eps it was pretty bad

How did he come off douchey?

I liked the view inside his head. He obviously has a lot of research and well-learned people reviewing the work. It's not 100% accurate, but who cares? It seems that he has captured the spirit of the times, which I enjoy.

Looking forward to season 3. Next week!

I'm kind of baffled that season two was that good using his methods. No wonder that the Tudors sucked balls if he wrote them like this.

I think the source material is easier to make interesting for Vikings than it was for the Tudors. Not to say that Tudor England was boring or anything, but it takes more skill and effort to write engaging plots about court intrigues and politics than it does for bearded men hacking each other to pieces with swords and axes.

Sex and violence sells and all that.

I think the source material is easier to make interesting for Vikings than it was for the Tudors. Not to say that Tudor England was boring or anything, but it takes more skill and effort to write engaging plots about court intrigues and politics than it does for bearded men hacking each other to pieces with swords and axes.

Sex and violence sells and all that.

Are you saying Vikings is dumbed down?

Not dumbed down. But put it like this; If you cut out almost all the battle and fighting scenes from Vikings (so that it became like the Tudors) by having them happen off screen or something, then it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is today.

"If you cut out a major part of what the story is actually about...." Since it's vikings, i'm assuming battle/war was a big part of their real life style, or at least for those who traveled to England.

It's like saying, take out the tension/murderers/betrayals from the Sopranos, and it wouldn't be as popular as it is today. That's true, but since that's a big part of mob life style, they keep it in.

Me, for instance, my favorite scenes are usually the tension building scenes, not the actual fights.

I'm not sure why people think liking action scenes are a bad thing now.

"If you cut out a major part of what the story is actually about...." Since it's vikings, i'm assuming battle/war was a big part of their real life style, or at least for those who traveled to England.

It's like saying, take out the good writing from the Sopranos, and it wouldn't be as popular as it is today.

Me, for instance, my favorite scenes are usually the tension building scenes, not the actual fights.

I'm not sure why people think liking action scenes are a bad thing now.

Well battle/war was a big part of Henry VIII's life style too.

I'm not saying liking action scenes is a bad thing, I'm saying that productions with lots of action are easier to make interesting from a writers perspective. As long as you have a high budget and competent people to handle the choreography and special effects it can turn out well.

Whereas if you do such a political and relationship focused series like the Tudors was, the writing is far more important since that together with the acting is basically the entire series.

I'm not saying liking action scenes is a bad thing, I'm saying that productions with lots of action are easier to make interesting from a writers perspective. As long as you have a high budget and competent people to handle the choreography and special effects it can be good.

Whereas if you do such a political and relationship focused series like the Tudors was, the writing is far more important since that together with the acting is basically the entire series.

Fair enough, i thought it was the whole "action is for dumb shows, writing is for smart shows" comments.

But that makes sense.

I'm not saying liking action scenes is a bad thing, I'm saying that productions with lots of action are easier to make interesting from a writers perspective. As long as you have a high budget and competent people to handle the choreography and special effects it can turn out well.

Yeah, except Henry VIII lost most of the battles / wars he started, unlike Our Vikings. :)

However, if there weren't so many themes and plot lines that are indeed about intrigue and conflict, on the level of the personal -- and how that personal can bleed into larger conflicts and rivalries, even overseas, Vikings wouldn't be nearly as interesting. Or as good. There wouldn't have been Ragnar's soliloquey, talking to his dead daughter, for instance. This was as intense as that other intense scene of the blood eagle, all in the same season.

To my mind, when it comes to good writiing for these kinds of "historical" programs, what is the most difficult to do, and do well, is the combination of violence and scenes of other activities and concerns, which is far more to life than only violence. That's the best writing and story telling.

Archived