HBO's "The Leftovers"

Khal-a-bunga

What happened to the woman from the first scene of the series? The one in the laundromat?

I think she's going to be the next character that gets an entire episode devoted to her.

You don't feature her as much as they did in the trailers and then just not weave her into the narrative.

And my opinion is that, sure, you can debate it. And look like a moron for doing so.

"Looking like a moron" is also a completely subjective thing. As long as someone wasn't rubbing feces in their hair while saying The Leftovers is better than Lost, I would never think that person looked like a moron. It's an opinion.

People take entertainment way too seriously.

"Looking like a moron" is also a completely subjective thing. As long as someone wasn't rubbing feces in their hair while saying The Leftovers is better than Lost, I would never think that person looked like a moron. It's an opinion.

People take entertainment way too seriously.

I know, right? Serious enough to find a forum on the internet, register for that forum, and talk about it.

That stoning was absolutely brutal but even when she broke her vows and begged them to stop, I couldn't find any sympathy for the character. The GR cult is written in such a way that they come off as the utmost distilled essence of passive-aggressive douchebaggery. To such a degree that I want them all gone. I would greenlight the ATF hit squad in a heartbeat. I can't come up with any emotional or logical reason why anyone would want to become a part of the cult. This is really throwing me, enough that I can't get into the show. At least the other cult has a dynamic leader (I don't recall his name, maybe Huggy Bear??) so I can see how emotionally distraught people would join.

Coming up with characters that I can get into is the biggest issue I have with the show. I really want to relate to the sheriff but they need to write him with more nuance. HBO has written rage maniacs (e.g., Seth Bollock, Tony Soprano, Al Capone, etc) that are more compelling characters. It just seems that the writer's cop out and have him end most interactions with curses and scowls. I can relate to a complex character that is losing it in the face of impossible emotional, family, and social chaos. I can't relate to a character who randomly acts like a dick in the same situation. I guess I'm saying they are way overplaying the acting like a dick card in his character.

I'll probably keep watching just because I usually don't have anything else to do at that time on a Sunday night but it's just not connecting with me.

I am absolutely loving this show. I don't really feel like I am connecting to any of the characters either but I am interested to see what happens with and to the GR. I know the show is doing something right when I can watch someone get bruttally stoned and think "She had it coming".

One thing that has bothered me was the scene with the GR breaking into houses and stealing photos. They never really explained that. I'm guessing they were stealing pictures of people who vanished, but it didn't really say for sure.

That opening scene was brutal. I'm usually not very squemish when it comes to that sort of stuff but I could barely sit through that one. I really liked that episode too, much more so than the third episode if I'm being honest. It is very difficult for me not to be sympathetic to the GR, and I'm surprised at Ixodes' reaction in the post above. 'She had it coming' really? Fucking hell. I went from being completely indifferent about the GR to actually caring about what happens to them.

Did I miss something specific about the women who got stoned? I might have forgotten something that happened earlier in the season.

I am absolutely loving this show. I don't really feel like I am connecting to any of the characters either but I am interested to see what happens with and to the GR. I know the show is doing something right when I can watch someone get bruttally stoned and think "She had it coming".

One thing that has bothered me was the scene with the GR breaking into houses and stealing photos. They never really explained that. I'm guessing they were stealing pictures of people who vanished, but it didn't really say for sure.

The whole schtick with the GR cult is that there is nothing and no one of importance, and that there is no family. I find that a perfectly reasonable explanation for them to be stealing family portraits whether they include people who vanished, or not. What I find so highly compelling about them is the same reason I found the character of Rustin Chole so fascinating in True Detective. They obviously have a nihilistic philosophy in their beliefs, yet they feel a need to proselytize. These two things just seem opposed. If you truly believe that nothing has meaning, what is the need to share this?

This was a strong episode that skipped a few beats for me. Everything about the stoning and the revelation that the federal government being at war with all of the pop up cults was spot on, yet I still miss some form of levity in the series. It is for this reason that i think that it is fair to compare the show to other things created by the same writer.

The whole schtick with the GR cult is that there is nothing and no one of importance, and that there is no family. I find that a perfectly reasonable explanation for them to be stealing family portraits whether they include people who vanished, or not.

I suppose that makes sense. In a way it's a reminder that your loved ones can disappear at any moment. If that is true though, how did they pick the houses they broke into? And if they were trying to make a statement then it would have been nice to know exactly what that statement was.

I'm still waiting for the girl from the opening scene to show up.

She showed up in the first episode. At the pub. And it's implied that she had sex with Garvey. Or that he wanted it, don't know how you're supposed to read the scene.

I suppose that makes sense. In a way it's a reminder that your loved ones can disappear at any moment. If that is true though, how did they pick the houses they broke into? And if they were trying to make a statement then it would have been nice to know exactly what that statement was.

I am not sure, but I think the houses they hit consisted of a neighborhood or block. I don't think that each house was particularly targeted. I do know that it would have probably been as far away from the school as possible as that was where they set the distraction.

This was a strong episode that skipped a few beats for me. Everything about the stoning and the revelation that the federal government being at war with all of the pop up cults was spot on, yet I still miss some form of levity in the series. It is for this reason that i think that it is fair to compare the show to other things created by the same writer.

That makes no sense to me. Lost had levity. This show does not. Therefore it's fair to compare the two? I don't get the logic.

Thought it was an excellent episode. I can understand why people would be turned off of it and why they're not connecting with the characters, but I'm intrigued where it's going and I do think there will be a payoff eventually. Michael Gaston's character intrigues me and I felt bad for Preacher Matt again. Dude can't catch a break.

On another note...can anyone tell me why the Garvey's daughter was so afraid for her mother when dad walked into the classroom? Was it simply because of the stoning of the other cultists?

I figured that word had been spread around that a member of the Guilty Remnant had been killed, and when Jill saw her dad show up in her class, she assumed it was because Laurie had been murdered.

Archived