HBO's "The Leftovers"

Khal-a-bunga

It's really not. Like, at all. One is 4 episodes into its premiere season, the other is freaking LOST.

Except that the writer and show runner is the same, and he has come out publicly in discussions in saying that he wanted to examine similar themes....

Did you read the rest of my post?

I wasn't replying to the rest of your post. Just your assertion that its debatable whether Lost or The Leftovers was the superior show. If the rest of your post negated that sentence, you should have removed it.

Except that the writer and show runner is the same, and he has come out publicly in discussions in saying that he wanted to examine similar themes....

That's well and good. I'm not talking about whether the shows will examine similar themes. I'm talking about the sentence, "Whether or not Lost was a superior show is debatable". And its not debatable, at all.

I actually don't remember that at all. He's the same writer/show runner but I can't remember a single interview that mentioned he wanted to explore the same themes from Lost.

I actually don't remember that at all. He's the same writer/show runner but I can't remember a single interview that mentioned he wanted to explore the same themes from Lost.

I went on a marathon Damon Lindelhoff interview watch a few nights ago where I heard him discuss it. I think it may be somewhere in here. Even if it isn't, this is a great interview that was conducted by Adam Savage of the Mythbusters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGvv7KwqIU0

Meh, that's your take on it. But no, I don't agree to it at all.

You think a show that is only midway through its first season is somehow within the realm of debate as being superior to a series that ran for 6 seasons? This is seriously what you're trying to say?

You think a show that is only midway through its first season is somehow within the realm of debate as being superior to a series that ran for 6 seasons? This is seriously what you're trying to say?

I've met several people who did not like Lost from the get go, I am not one of them, but they do exist. Is it outside the realm of possibility that those people might consider this show a superior one to Lost? So yes, I think it's easily in 'the realm of debate'

We're also arguing about something that is not the main point of that post, and I'm done doing that.

I've met several people who did not like Lost from the get go, I am not one of them, but they do exist. Is it outside the realm of possibility that those people might consider this show a superior one to Lost? So yes, I think it's easily in 'the realm of debate'

Okay, fair enough. I just wanted to clear that up, so I could go ahead and figure out whether to dismiss everything you ever say ever again.

What does the amount of seasons have to do with the quality of a show? How long has Two and a Half Men been on air? Or Law & Order?

The Leftovers is better a thousandfold over both of those shows (and any subsequent spinoffs), after just 4 episodes.

I don't think this show is better than Lost was, but to say that it's not debatable when opinions are the epitome of debatable, is pretty nonsensical.

"better" and "best" are all a matter of subectivity.... I like this show, but don't love it.... I personally think that the storytelling is missing something.... I'd like to understand the cigarette smoking diddy dressing shut yer yap cult better by this point

,,,, and I know they're trying to create a mood and all.... but jesus christ on skates can this sherrif get a break?... something?... can his daughter not be an ungrateful angst filled bitch for one scene?....

and whats with the picture stealing?... it present day, so all of those pitures are probably on a phone or computer.... that scene not very well thought out.

Holy nitpicks, Batman.

His 'ungrateful bitch of a daughter' (because that is what teenage girls automatically are, right?) probably knows all about the affair he had, and likely blames him for her mom leaving the family.

Why are you automatically assuming that 'The Sheriff' is worthy of a break?

"better" and "best" are all a matter of subectivity.... I like this show, but don't love it.... I personally think that the storytelling is missing something.... I'd like to understand the cigarette smoking diddy dressing shut yer yap cult better by this point

,,,, and I know they're trying to create a mood and all.... but jesus christ on skates can this sherrif get a break?... something?... can his daughter not be an ungrateful angst filled bitch for one scene?....

and whats with the picture stealing?... it present day, so all of those pitures are probably on a phone or computer.... that scene not very well thought out.

:angry2: Jill is awesome.

Isn't 4 episodes in early to be asking for so many explanations? Also definitely early to compare to a show that went what? 6 full seasons? Lets let this shit play out.

I think the picture stealing has to do with her "quote" that there is no family. They don't talk to keep them from getting attached to someone again and smoke to quicken the death process. They seem to be nihilists who in the light of the departure, don't want to feel anything so they won't get burned again by loss.

I keep coming back here hoping to see some insightful discussion on the show and its mostly people saying it sucks and pointless debate on it being not Lost.

I wonder if we'll get an explanation of why Laurie joined the GR? It seems odd considering she didn't lose either of her children or her husband.

She did lose her husband, though. She lost him to an affair, which is one of the many great juxtapositions that we've seen up until this point.

Archived