HBO's "The Leftovers"

Khal-a-bunga

I figured that word had been spread around that a member of the Guilty Remnant had been killed, and when Jill saw her dad show up in her class, she assumed it was because Laurie had been murdered.

:agree:

On another note...can anyone tell me why the Garvey's daughter was so afraid for her mother when dad walked into the classroom? Was it simply because of the stoning of the other cultists?

I assumed it was because the rampant hate for the GR in the community. It would make sense that if rumors were swirling about a murdered cult member that she would assume the worse.

In my mind, the abandonment of Garvey's daughter by her mother is a more horrific event than the stoning. To willingly ignore your child while she tries her best to make some type of connection is a more grievous crime than stoning someone who spends their time stalking people in the community and breaking into their homes.

That makes no sense to me. Lost had levity. This show does not. Therefore it's fair to compare the two? I don't get the logic.

Thought it was an excellent episode. I can understand why people would be turned off of it and why they're not connecting with the characters, but I'm intrigued where it's going and I do think there will be a payoff eventually. Michael Gaston's character intrigues me and I felt bad for Preacher Matt again. Dude can't catch a break.

I will go over this a little more to make my comparisons and I hope that no one thinks that I am a moron for doing so. The show LOST, and the show Leftovers has a ton in common, not the least of which is that the show runner and lead writer is the same person and has been known to say that he is exploring similar ideas.

The underlying theme in both shows was the struggle of a faith in the supernatural vs a trust in science. Both shows use mystery to drive the plot, and sparingly give details of what the mystery contains. Both shows are myopic in scale. One focuses primarily on an island, while one focuses on the residents of a small town. Both shows also features characters in situations that place them in a crisis of faith. Both shows brought groups of people together in direct opposition to one another, and then started blurring the lines between the groups. The musical score is very similar between the two shows. LOST greatly benefited from the genius score from Michael Giacchino. His music was perfect in addressing the emotions that the characters were experiencing. Max Richter, the guy scoring Leftovers is doing very similar work in the piano heavy compositions, but hasn't yet reached his stride in the series.

I am not saying that they are the exact same show as obviously they are approaching how to address the theme in very different ways. The Leftovers is a much grittier take on the theme. Where LOST took flawed characters and focused on their overcoming whatever issues plagued them, the Leftovers at this point seem to have the characters stuck in their flaws, and at points even relishing them. I don't think this is a horrible idea in and of itself. It allows a character to confront a religious man trying to help them grieve by standing in front of him and blowing a whistle in his face. Some of these choices are really gut wrenching, and emotionally moving to me.

Why I keep bringing up levity and humor is that I firmly believe that all of this would be much easier to explore if there were characters that displayed joy. The most unrealistic thing about this show is that after three years, people are still not laughing at anything at all. I find that unbelievable, and the very lack of humor to dissipate tension makes this show a hard pill to swallow at times. That is why I can say that at the same point in their running spans, LOST was the better show.

Am I the only one really enjoying this show?

If my comments were misconstrued to appear that I do not like the show, I just want to say that I find the show fascinating. I am enjoying the storytelling for what it is. I just think that there are significant ways of improving it. I hope that this show gets a second season, and I hope that they can correct a few of the problems.

I like the show. I actually like Sheriff Garvey and feel bad for him. His life is like being constantly kicked while you're down, but he keeps getting back up to take his beating.

The revelation if the ATF's new found love of killing all cults before they can spread is curious. The government must'very gone to hell in the past 3 years. They also explained where the dead bodies scattered across the highway came from. Also showed some emotion from the GR leader woman, so it's not exactly like Lost where they explained nothing for years. :P

What was up with the laundromat scene and what's up with that guy that pops up everywhere? The one that was there at the council meeting and there in the woods after the stoning?

The laundromat scene had similar significance as the bagel scene. It is establishing that the sheriff just can not emotionally handle things that go missing in his life. As he has no power to bring back the people who disappeared, so he doubles down in making sure that anything similar is rectified by any means at his disposal.

The dog hunter is obviously a new resident in town as he is completely unknown to the sheriff. I am suspecting that he has some kind of family connection with the GR cult as that would explain his hatred for them, and his presence in the town.

Edited to address Igziabeher's comment about LOST...

LOST did answer questions and solve mysteries along the way. I am doing a series rewatch right now, and almost every single episode they made revelations about the nature of what they were going through.

Somebody please tell me the significance of Neil?

Neil is I assume the name of someone the leader of the GR loved (be it husband or son) and I assume Laurie asked about him when she joined the GR, but never got a response about. Hence the crying and the doggy bag drop off.

Neil is I assume the name of someone the leader of the GR loved (be it husband or son) and I assume Laurie asked about him when she joined the GR, but never got a response about. Hence the crying and the doggy bag drop off.

Thank you!

The doggy bag confused me because I thought it meant Neil was alive.

I'm not sure I understand the deer (was it in the chiefs kitchen? Why?) or the crazy dogs, either. I'm holding off on giving up on the show because I feel like it's still disconnected because it's only 4-5 eps into the season. That, and I enjoy the reverend character.

And what's with the daughters friend getting all pervy with the dad? Creepy.

I'll need to probably rewatch parts of the episode to figure out the Neil stuff. I didn't completely understand what was going on there at all. Also, the actor who plays Patti/ leader of the GR is excellent, it's hard to emote without saying anything at all but she does it really well.

I took it differently in that I assumed Laurie and Patty had a prior relationship before the GR, to the point where maybe Laurie was her therapist?

Isn't he the police chief, not a sheriff? He was appointed my the mayor. Not elected by the people. The mayor can fire him is she want to. Not that she should at this point. overall this show has kept interest up and seems to have a hand on the" tiller of direction" . unlike LOST.... :bang:

The GR's remind me way too much of the Westboro Baptist Church. Going around intentionally "griefing" grieving families. I'm not saying I cheered when she got stoned, but I definitely didn't grieve for her.

edit: Actually, I think that is what I hate so much about this show. It was sold as a mystery show. Instead, it seems to be some weird fauxdocumentary on the Westboro Baptist Church.

Archived