[Books & Show Spoilers] the Viper

OMG please by the old gods and the new, the seven, the lord of light, the drowned god, and the red god please D&D with all of the dumb changes you have made to this adaptation please let Oberyn live... I don't give a fuck if you and GRRM have to change the rest of the storyline to accommodate this change...

I kinda wish Oberyn will survive the duel; Pedro has just been such a surprise package and definitely the highlight of the season thus far.

His death is such an iconic moment in the book, and I want Unsullied to feel the rage that I did... but I think I'd be alright if they decided to let him live. I mean, I highly doubt they'd change it, but... I feel so conflicted!

It's sad, but he's toast. And apparently,

he'll have his eyes gouged out.

In that case, if this is the slow-mo death of the season, I'm definitely going to lose my dinner. Never thought I'd be hoping for Ygritte to do a Boromir impression.

It's a shame this season has been pretty dull. There was so much material yet they cut out a lot of it for pointless scenes (Like Yara Asha whats her face). This scene and a certain scene at the end of book 3 will define the season. Oberyn living would ruin it. I love his character, but he's gotta die, and died the right way. Splintered teeth anyone?

I wonder if they will make Oberyn's death graphic. Most main characters don't get a totally graphic death unless your Joffery (which still wasn't all that). I also wonder if there will be any other casualties in the battle, such as an innocent by stander getting cut in 1/2 or something.

I disagree.

They didn't shy away from Robb!Wind or gut stabbing a pregnant lady.

It will be like this scene. :ack: :crying:

Everybody suggesting that Oberyn survives needs to just stop. It completely changes the character of major threads from now on. This isn't merging Edric Storm and Gendry, this isn't a diversion to go fight again at Craster's keep, this isn't making Robb's wife an Essosi. This would mean Tyrion was innocent at trial and has no reason to escape, kill Tywin, head for Essos. It would mean that the Sand Snakes don't start their little coup d'etat and spoil the reveal of Doran's long game. I like the character too, I think Pascal has done a fabulous job of it, but if you think this is going to happen, we're not reading the same books. And on top of all that, his death will be GREAT TV. It will be shocking to the Unsullied as much as it was for readers, it will be brutal and graphic Hello, my name is Oberyn Martell... you killed my sister... prepare to die!

Coming in close to the Mountain isn't just arrogance, it isn't just making him confess, he's not just trying to prolong the Mountain's pain, he also wants to hear that Tywin ordered it. And just as foreshadowed with Bronn, one mistake and... BAM. And Tyrion pukes because its brutal and he knows he's dead.

But I wonder what they are going to do with Bronn? Are they really going to just let him disappear? They could send him with Tyrion but that will mess up a lot of things in that thread. They could send him with Jamie to the Riverlands, like they did with Pod and Jamie, turn a lot of the internal thoughts into dialog.

Everybody suggesting that Oberyn survives needs to just stop. It completely changes the character of major threads from now on. This isn't merging Edric Storm and Gendry, this isn't a diversion to go fight again at Craster's keep, this isn't making Robb's wife an Essosi. This would mean Tyrion was innocent at trial and has no reason to escape, kill Tywin, head for Essos. It would mean that the Sand Snakes don't start their little coup d'etat and spoil the reveal of Doran's long game. I like the character too, I think Pascal has done a fabulous job of it, but if you think this is going to happen, we're not reading the same books. And on top of all that, his death will be GREAT TV. It will be shocking to the Unsullied as much as it was for readers, it will be brutal and graphic Hello, my name is Oberyn Martell... you killed my sister... prepare to die!

Coming in close to the Mountain isn't just arrogance, it isn't just making him confess, he's not just trying to prolong the Mountain's pain, he also wants to hear that Tywin ordered it. And just as foreshadowed with Bronn, one mistake and... BAM. And Tyrion pukes because its brutal and he knows he's dead.

But I wonder what they are going to do with Bronn? Are they really going to just let him disappear? They could send him with Tyrion but that will mess up a lot of things in that thread. They could send him with Jamie to the Riverlands, like they did with Pod and Jamie, turn a lot of the internal thoughts into dialog.

Oberyn lives is the new "Purple Wedding - Episode 10"

Isn't going way :P

Ran has said that it is not confirmed that HBO Canada will air the episode. There's no logical way that the episode is aired next week anywhere.

Oberyn will definitely die; D&D make small adaptations but the main story is always going to be in tact.

I think the bigger question is WILL WE SEE OBERYN SOMEHOW POISONING TWYIN? I've never been a big fan of that theory but cannot deny the validity of it and it remains one of the most unique and interesting ones, IMO.

Now, if we are not shown Oberyn poisoning Tywin or he doesn't offer some quip to Tyrion before the battle about "ensuring justice will happen regardless of if I win or not" etc, etc, does that put the theory to rest? Even if he does offer something along those lines in a pre-battle quip should we take that as meaning something deeper or just that he's fighting Gregor with the poisoned spear?

That's what I'm really looking forward to with the episode.

Archived