Arrow 4: Clash of the Queens (Season 2 spoilers)

Mladen

I think what excites me most about this is possibly Sara/Merlyn flashbacks. It's been confirmed other characters will have flashbacks (including Felicity) so hoping Sara/Merlyn get a shot with Ra's al Ghul being the big bad.

A Sara Lance or Malcolm Merlyn flashback to their time with the League would make my entire year

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY caught up. Been hammering this show for a solid month.

This did get mentioned at the time, but not nearly enough: I'm glad Slade ended up being in Starling City, but the reasoning was just awful, awful, awful. So Ivo, who's been established as someone who was once OK and now he's gone off the rails looking for Miracuru.......pulls a completely unnecessary and out of character "you have to choose who dies!". Seriously? There was absolutely nothing to be gained from it, it was a complete waste of time. Then Ollie actually feels guilty about it? If I'm remembering correctly, I thought Ivo pointed the gun at Sara and Ollie said "NO!", but never actually said "Kill Shado instead!". He really didn't choose at all, did he? Then Slade finds out, and blames him for the whole thing? OK, I might buy it if, in a fit of miracuru induced rage, he initially blames Ollie, but to hold that grudge for 5 years? No amount of insanity will convince me of that, let alone enough for Slade to utterly level everything Ollie's ever touched pretty much. And Ivo? You know, the guy who put a gun to her head and pulled the trigger and killed her? He slings him in the tent when he comes back to get the freighter guy, doesn't even care what happens to him. Right.

Off the top of my head, how about Ivo takes Shado to one place and gets a minion to take Sara to another, and Ollie has to choose who to rescue? Figures Shado's more likely to be able to cope by herself? Then Shado dies, Slade blames Ollie. Or maybe Shado says she's going somewhere, then an opportunity to blow up the freighter comes up, Slade asks if Shado's there, Ollie says no, then it turns out she was? ANYTHING other than that BS that happened.

But, other than that, I enjoyed the season. I'm slightly concerned that we're gonna get either Laurel or Thea or both as implausibly good heroes/villains. With Sara, they already had a built in was of explaining it with the Island - as long as there's a solid 5 year gap during which they can say someone was trained, then fine. But they can only train Laurel in real time with the show. And her becoming the Canary would be horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible. Awful character, implausibly capable of doing anything superhero like, cheapening the whole concept of superhero's by just implying anyone can step up and have a go. Ugh. There's a bit of a danger of that with Roy as well, assuming he remains Miracuru free and ends up being a full blown superhero. Off screen 'training' won't cut it for me, he's just some kid.

But, other than that, I enjoyed the season. I'm slightly concerned that we're gonna get either Laurel or Thea or both as implausibly good heroes/villains. With Sara, they already had a built in was of explaining it with the Island - as long as there's a solid 5 year gap during which they can say someone was trained, then fine. But they can only train Laurel in real time with the show. And her becoming the Canary would be horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible. Awful character, implausibly capable of doing anything superhero like, cheapening the whole concept of superhero's by just implying anyone can step up and have a go.

Ah, despairing over Laurel's possible future role in the series, the one thing that seems to unify everybody who watches this show.

As much as I don't care about Roy, I think he's at least been on the road to becoming a masked vigilante from the moment he showed up. The writing for Laurel's character is just a directionless mess.

IIRC, Ollie actually did throw himself in front of Sara instead of Shado when Ivo was pointing the gun at Sara. So he did choose between the two.

He made a choice, in the sense that he chose to put himself between the gun and whoever it was pointed at. If it had been pointed at Shado, he would have done the same thing. IIRC he even asks Ivo to kill him instead.

He made a choice, in the sense that he chose to put himself between the gun and whoever it was pointed at. If it had been pointed at Shado, he would have done the same thing. IIRC he even asks Ivo to kill him instead.

What he said.

Certainly enough doubt that when Slade said "Is this true?", Ollie would have been well within his rights to say "No, I thought he was gonna shoot Sara so I got in the way, then he shot Shado."

Nah. It's a CW tv show and they were manufacturing drama. Ollie and Slade had to believe it was his fault to have any reasoning for revenge/guilt. But it's clear to everyone that it was an idiotic set up but despite that, the payoff was immense. I loved revenge driven Slade as long as he wasn't talking about Shado.

Nah. It's a CW tv show and they were manufacturing drama. Ollie and Slade had to believe it was his fault to have any reasoning for revenge/guilt. But it's clear to everyone that it was an idiotic set up but despite that, the payoff was immense. I loved revenge driven Slade as long as he wasn't talking about Shado.

Absolutely, I'm not disputing that it should have happened, I loved the end of this season. But the set-up was extremely lazy, and I don't think it would've been that hard to think up something slightly more plausible and original.

Absolutely, I'm not disputing that it should have happened, I loved the end of this season. But the set-up was extremely lazy, and I don't think it would've been that hard to think up something slightly more plausible and original.

But then the murder of Moira wouldn't have made sense! :p

I think the miracuru making him insane was good enough. Lazy but it works. The other good thing about this set up is that if he recovers from the miracuru insanity then there is a possibility of him being an ally. Otherwise there's no way Olly would work with him in future and we all know that shows love to have the villains eventually wind up as being allies of the hero.

I would love to see that, but he wasn't cured by the time they got him to the island (which was probably quite an operation) and I can't imagine throwing a long period of isolation in the mix will help matters. Even he does recover, I think he's too far gone to ever work with Ollie now. He did kill his Mother, and god knows how many others.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see that, but he wasn't cured by the time they got him to the island (which was probably quite an operation) and I can't imagine throwing a long period of isolation in the mix will help matters. Even he does recover, I think he's too far gone to ever work with Ollie now. He did kill his Mother, and god knows how many others.

It's genre TV. He'll be back as an unwilling ally. Maybe season 4 but he could pop up before the end of this one. They didn't kill him so he'll be back and it would be a retread if it was just as a nemesis. Look at "Lost", "buffy/angel" "farscape" for some examples off the top of my head. There are many more.

Devon Aoki was replaced due to scheduling issues. New Katana is Rila Fukushima -- Yukio from The Wolverine.

A good replacement - I liked her in The Wolverine.

Archived