Small questions v.10082

Angalin

SSM:

I was thinking more in the lines of a non-POV character. Being in the POVs heads provokes in me (and apparently in GRRM, too) an almost automatic empathy for them. Some of the non-POVs, on the other hand, are written almost exclusively evil and easy to hate (like Gregor and Ramsay).

Just going back to the info given on the length of the seasons i was also wondering..

Is there any evidence anyway about the trident or even the narrow sea freezing over during a long winter?

We've heard nothing about that, for as far as I can recall, and I don´t really know a lot about real life conditions needed to make seas freeze up. I do find it worth to note that the canals in Braavos are starting to freeze at the moment.

I was thinking more in the lines of a non-POV character. Being in the POVs heads provokes in me (and apparently in GRRM, too) an almost automatic empathy for them. Some of the non-POVs, on the other hand, are written almost exclusively evil and easy to hate (like Gregor and Ramsay).

I'e seen a couple of interviews where Martin has had questions about Ramnsay etc. and he (half-jokingly) say: "nyehhh, Ramsays misunderstood." *chuckles* And then goes on to say how he is a product of Reek and his Mother. I know that isnt what you were looking for but still :) (If you are interested, I know it was an appearance in Australia, after Season 3 and Michelle Fairley was also there. Its quite a good one actually, Michelle is so funny :p)

There is also something where he has said he regrets Areo because, due to having only one POV chapter, he could not flesh him out as he wanted too. (which I thought was a good indicator that we will get more Mel chapters actually)

Oh and Rhaenys, you asked in another thread but: yes, I tried to PM but got no response. I should still have the info lying in my sentbox though

Found the explanation:

Thanks! I was wondering because it felt to me that Robb took all the able men from the North South and because they were all slaughtered there was nobody really left up there except for the clans. But seeing as his army was only 20.000 (iirc) strong there must have still been a lot of people left up North..

Thanks! I was wondering because it felt to me that Robb took all the able men from the North South and because they were all slaughtered there was nobody really left up there except for the clans. But seeing as his army was only 20.000 (iirc) strong there must have still been a lot of people left up North..

Just to add to Rhaenys' quote, here's a great video by Elio on the subject (which includes the so called rule of thumb :p)

IIRC there is an SSM where he talks about having a hard time killing even the bad guys, I'll try and find it and post it here.

Perhaps I was mistaken, cause I'm not finding anything :blushing:

Do people think it is realistic how many lords, even lords with large and fertile lands are in large amounts of debt after 10 years of summer? Or are most of these debts new since the beginning of the wars?

Who was/is in debt then (except the IT)? I can't recall them.

From what I can recall, there weren't actual debts amongst lords when the series started. The war did cause a lot of people to lose a lot of money, which I think definitely caused debts. Think about all that was destroyed that needs to be rebuild before winter has reached its peak?

Lady Mormont had captured thousands of cattle and was driving them back toward Riverrun,

Catelyn V, Clash

How could Maege have drven cattle frim the Westerlands to the Riverlands if the pass of the Golden Tooth was still held by the Lannisters? Was there a coastal road to the north of the Tooth? Or dis she come all the way around the south?

Just going back to the info given on the length of the seasons i was also wondering..

Is there any evidence anyway about the trident or even the narrow sea freezing over during a long winter?

No, but if it's cold enough any water will freeze. Rivers with strong currents may partially freeze or create flow ice, or even have a thick solid ice surface sheet if it's cold enough. Seas are different, sea water generally only freezes near coast lines or the arctic poles. The salt in sea water means it will only freeze at lower temperatures than fresh water. The narrow sea sits below the north so it probably does not normally freeze but probably gets flow ice from time to time and costal freezing. But like I said if it's cold enough even a sea will freeze.

Catelyn V, Clash

How could Maege have drven cattle frim the Westerlands to the Riverlands if the pass of the Golden Tooth was still held by the Lannisters? Was there a coastal road to the north of the Tooth? Or dis she come all the way around the south?

I was wondering this too, since we both seem.to be in a similar place on our re-reads. I suppose its possible they took the Tooth from the West? :dunno:

I was wondering this too, since we both seem.to be in a similar place on our re-reads. I suppose its possible they took the Tooth from the West? :dunno:

Maybe they went through the same wormhole Arya used to get to the docks at King's Landing!

So I just noticed Tywin actually gives Tyrion a pretty good lead re: finding Tysha:

“Try harder. Did you have her killed?”

His father pursed his lips. “There was no reason for that, she’d learned her place... and had been well paid for her day’s work, I seem to recall. I suppose the steward sent her on her way. I never thought to inquire.”

We never hear anything else about the steward of Casterly Rock, right? He may well be dead by now, but if not he may be able to tell Tyrion where whores go.

Who was/is in debt then (except the IT)? I can't recall them.

From what I can recall, there weren't actual debts amongst lords when the series started. The war did cause a lot of people to lose a lot of money, which I think definitely caused debts. Think about all that was destroyed that needs to be rebuild before winter has reached its peak?

Littlefinger bought some Lord/lords of the vale's debts, and when Cersei stopped interest payments to the Iron bank they called in loans from smaller lords who were loyal to the Lannister Tyrell alliance and Cersei thinks about how they are all complaining to her.

Curious about legitimising bastards, was this the province of only monarchs or could the high born parent do it their own selves (seems a bit nasty if a parent can't name their son or daughter as their legit child, only acknowledge them).

I checked Westeros wiki, but its not entirely clear imo.

A more drastic measure is legitimization, a power traditionally reserved to monarchs alone.

Traditionally reserved seems to suggest that its possible that non-monarchs can do it, but usually don't. but perhaps thats just semantics on my part.

Far more often a bastard is acknowledged but not legitimized. For example, Eddard Stark acknowledged Jon Snow as his son and a member of House Stark, but did not legitimize him.

Again, maybe semantics, but it suggests that Eddard could legitimise Jon if he had wanted to.... Or perhaps it just means he could've requested it of Robert but didn't, but its not really clear.

And then I wonder if a bastard could be legitimised, by a king or whoever, if the bastard it not acknowledged, like Gendry for instance.

Littlefinger bought some Lord/lords of the vale's debts, and when Cersei stopped interest payments to the Iron bank they called in loans from smaller lords who were loyal to the Lannister Tyrell alliance and Cersei thinks about how they are all complaining to her.

Well, for what it's worth, the Vale has not fought in the war, so the war can't be the cause of their debts.

Bit strange then..

Archived