Small questions v.10082

Angalin

I hope this is the correct forum. My question is , can you warge a Dragon? Given one has the ability.

This is not small question, and noone can really answer it at this time. Well, apart from GRRM himself.

There are a few theories around it, you can probably find some interesting threads if you search for them. Off the top of my head, people have speculated that Bran will end up warging one of Dany's dragons and become one of the three heads, or even that a certain kind of warging is behind any dragontamer/dragon relationship.

There are a few clues that point that toward the latter: the fact that a dragon that already had a rider is more likely to accept a new one (as seen in tPatQ), and Dany's very particular relation ship to Drogon. In the pit, they "scream as one" when Drogon gets hurt.

I have also read some good crackpottery on Jon and the Ice Dragon that has been mentioned several times in the books - GRRM wrote a novella long before ASOIAF called the Ice Dragon, and he sometimes reuses things from his previous works, so... Jon riding a warged blue eyed zombie dragon, leading an army of wights? Me gusta.

Sorry that's not much of an answer. :)

Thank you Roddy DaRwin for your thoughts. I did search a bit, lots on Dragons as you can imagine, nothing on a person "warging a dragon". As we have seen north of the Wall every sort of beast has been warged .

I was thinking about Jon, the three headed Dragon.

Start a thread, I'll make a post!

I only have the picture books for the first 2 dunk and egg and not the 3rd one at all, is it ever specifically mentioned why Aemon gets the nickname the dragon knight? I only ask because I think that title should be given to Rhaenyra's husband if it should be given to anyone... He did jump off his smaller dragon while still in the air, onto Vhagar, the largest living dragon at the time that he had just used his smaller dragon to kill but was still alive and dying in the air, only to kill his deuchy nephew in law with his own valyrian steal sword rather than let him just die in the fall... Are we told of a specific thing Aemon did, or is it just assumed that he was an almost universally loved badass Targ so people gave him a badass nickname?

I only have the picture books for the first 2 dunk and egg and not the 3rd one at all, is it ever specifically mentioned why Aemon gets the nickname the dragon knight? I only ask because I think that title should be given to Rhaenyra's husband if it should be given to anyone... He did jump off his smaller dragon while still in the air, onto Vhagar, the largest living dragon at the time that he had just used his smaller dragon to kill but was still alive and dying in the air, only to kill his deuchy nephew in law with his own valyrian steal sword rather than let him just die in the fall... Are we told of a specific thing Aemon did, or is it just assumed that he was an almost universally loved badass Targ so people gave him a badass nickname?

I think the idea is that Aemon was as close as you come to a "true knight" that the bards sing about. Yes he was probably a badass, but also chivalrous and honorable, which Daemon was not. I mean the guy gave his life to protect his brother even though Aegon had been such a dick to him.

Probably ;)

There will most likely be a lot to discuss when the World Book is released.. And even more after Winds. R+L=J has reached 83 already. 17 more threads isn't that far away.

Not to mention the fact that the SSMs hint that it won't even be known until the last book, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a v200. :)

Question for those fluent in the SSMs: is there an entry of anyone ever asking GRRM if the current Starks have a Targaryen ancestor?

I can't find one, but that's nearly impossible to search for because of all of the references to both names and the fact that quite a few usernames contain those names as well. Maybe someone else will have better luck, but I think that would be one of those things that would have been taken down if it had ever been there at all. If you'd like to look through the results google the following:

stark targaryen site:www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/

if you dont mid me asking, what is the crux of the heresy theory? The threads seem to be too long to go through them all

They usually start with this, I just copied from one of the starting post:

"It is (still) Heresy because here we question the easy assumptions (amongst others) that the Others are evil incarnate, that Children of the Forest will teach Bran Stark how to defeat them, that Jon Snow is Azor Ahai, and will ride one of Dany’s amazing dragons before taking his place alongside her on the Iron Throne as Jon Targaryen First of his Name."

if you dont mid me asking, what is the crux of the heresy theory? The threads seem to be too long to go through them all

It's not a theory. It's a series of discussions about things that usually but not always involve things north of the Neck and/or mysticism.

Question for those fluent in the SSMs: is there an entry of anyone ever asking GRRM if the current Starks have a Targaryen ancestor?

I finished reading (I think I got all of the) the SSMs on this site sometime last year and there wasn't. I also watched all of the youtube interviews I could find by the time. If one had come up in the meantime, we'd know.

There was a sample (don't know if it was an authorized one or a leak) of the World of Ice and Fire book, and there was a Stark lineage. It was said it was not finished, but no, they don't have a Targ ancestor, at least not in the last 9 or 10 generations (which, methinks, rules out having a Targ ancestor at all).

There was a sample (don't know if it was an authorized one or a leak) of the World of Ice and Fire book, and there was a Stark lineage. It was said it was not finished, but no, they don't have a Targ ancestor, at least not in the last 9 or 10 generations (which, methinks, rules out having a Targ ancestor at all).

That was in both the authorized and the unauthorized sample ;) It was the same tree in both cases, and indeed, an unfinished draft. According to the draft we've seen, there is no Targaryen ancestor, though of course, the Starks we did see on that tree were all born around 80AC or later, roughly. With the app telling us Jaehaerys and Alysanne had 9 children, and with a reading telling us there was still a daughter or 2 of Aegon the Conqueror that we don't know the faiths of yet, and with the sample of Aegon's Conquest telling us Lord Aenar arrived on Dragonstone with cousins, we cannot rule it out completely. Yet.

That was in both the authorized and the unauthorized sample ;) It was the same tree in both cases, and indeed, an unfinished draft. According to the draft we've seen, there is no Targaryen ancestor, though of course, the Starks we did see on that tree were all born around 80AC or later, roughly. With the app telling us Jaehaerys and Alysanne had 9 children, and with a reading telling us there was still a daughter or 2 of Aegon the Conqueror that we don't know the faiths of yet, and with the sample of Aegon's Conquest telling us Lord Aenar arrived on Dragonstone with cousins, we cannot rule it out completely. Yet.

Yes, that's where you pretty much arrive and cover what I don't have the knowledge to cover :)

I didn't know for sure that the list didn't cover anybody before 80AC. I roughly estimated that those 10 generations in the sample would cover 300 years back, but apparently, they don't. So it still remains a possibility.

Archived