Small questions v.10082

Angalin

Why didn't Donal Noye train another armorer?? I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to do so, and it would have satisfied a fundamental need of the NW.

It would have been interesting if Gendry had got to the wall to finish his apprenticeship. Donal would surely have recognised him for who he was, having been quite friendly with his father at the same age.

Which raises the question of whether Varys had factored Donal into his plans when he sent Gendry to Yoren?

Which raises the question of whether Varys had factored Donal into his plans when he sent Gendry to Yoren?

I guess it may be possible. Donal probably could have figured out who Gendry really is.

But, I doubt even Varys knows about the armorer at the Wall.

Could someone who is a regular wiki contributor explain how this:

1. ↑ Only the cranes are mentioned: "... cranes for Crane, ... " A Storm of Swords, Chapter 22, Catelyn

Equates to this?

It is one of the principal houses sworn to House Tyrell.[1]

I think the person meant to say "only time the cranes are mentioned." Funny thing is they are only mentioned in Clash of Kings, not Storm of Swords.

Near all the chivalry of the south had come to Renly’s call, it seemed. The golden rose of Highgarden was seen everywhere: sewn on the right breast of armsmen and servants, flapping and fluttering from the green silk banners that adorned lance and pike, painted upon the shields hung outside the pavilions of the sons and brothers and cousins and uncles of House Tyrell. As well Catelyn spied the fox-and-flowers of House Florent, Fossoway apples red and green, Lord Tarly’s striding huntsman, oak leaves for Oakheart, cranes for Crane, a cloud of black-and-orange butterflies for the Mullendores.

No they are also mentioned in Storm: Meredith "Merry" Crane a few times, Ser Parmen once ;)

So both Clash and Storm

Oh, then I have no idea what he meant by "Only the cranes are mentioned."

Could someone who is a regular wiki contributor explain how this:

1. ↑ Only the cranes are mentioned: "... cranes for Crane, ... " A Storm of Swords, Chapter 22, Catelyn

Equates to this?

It is one of the principal houses sworn to House Tyrell.[1]

I think I got it.

The part you've quoted refers to this "Note"

They blazon their shield with a vee of golden cranes on pale blue

The note states: "only the cranes are mentioned", meaning, only the cranes are mentioned on the shield, not the rest of the shield.

As said in Clash:

As well Catelyn spied the fox-and-flowers of House Florent, Fossoway apples red and green, Lord Tarly’s striding huntsman, oak leaves for Oakheart, cranes for Crane, a cloud of black-and-orange butterflies for the Mullendores.

While the heraldy page that the source [2] of the shield refers to (I listed the page specific for house Crane, the wiki lists all houses for the Reach), lists that the cranes make a V. Catelyn doesn't note that. So Clash "only mentions the cranes for House Crane", but the heraldy page gives an additional detail, which isn't listed in the books.

:D

Oh, I see...thanks! :D I was just browsing the wiki and things like that bit of.info.were new to me so I checked the source. I also.noticed a Crane who is apparently listed in the GoT appendix as Master at Arms in Highgarden... I think I will stary reading the appendix from.now on :lol:

Could Ashara Dayne have been murdered (by Ned even) over knowledge she might have and could spill about R+L=J? She was a lady-in-waiting for Elia, the chief rival of Lyanna. Obviously she would have known about R+L if it were true and perhaps if Lyanna was indeed pregnant, she might even have heard about that. Then Ned shows up shortly after the TOJ (with a baby) and she allegedly jumps from one of the towers.

Could Ashara Dayne have been murdered (by Ned even) over knowledge she might have and could spill about R+L=J? She was a lady-in-waiting for Elia, the chief rival of Lyanna. Obviously she would have known about R+L if it were true and perhaps if Lyanna was indeed pregnant, she might even have heard about that. Then Ned shows up shortly after the TOJ (with a baby) and she allegedly jumps from one of the towers.

I'll take this one...

No.

I think we get a good impression of Ned in AGoT. It's not in his nature to murder anybody, let alone a woman he was infatuated with.

I'll take this one...

No.

Also, this. :agree:

Probably this doesn't really count as a small question.

The short answer is this:

I'll take this one...

No.

The somewhat longer answer:

Why would Ashara know? Ashara did not stay lady-in-waiting to Elia until her death. She was at Starfall at the time of her death, and most likely had been there for 9 months at the least. An unwedded, pregnant highborn woman would not really be tolerated at court ;)

Beign a lady-in-waiting doesn't mean that Elia told Ashara every little secret she knew of. We know nothing about the relationship between Elia and Ashara, how friendly they were with each other etc.

So it isn't obvious that she had known about R+L=J.. Even if Elia trusted Ashara completely, Ashara was in service to Elia, not Rhaegar. So it wouldn't be logical to automatically assume that Ashara would have known everything that had been going on.

Ah, that makes sense.

Oh, I see...thanks! :D I was just browsing the wiki and things like that bit of.info.were new to me so I checked the source. I also.noticed a Crane who is apparently listed in the GoT appendix as Master at Arms in Highgarden... I think I will stary reading the appendix from.now on :lol:

Well, I guess the formulation on the wiki amongst the notes could be a little better...

I guess it may be possible. Donal probably could have figured out who Gendry really is.

But, I doubt even Varys knows about the armorer at the Wall.

Do we even know why he joined the NW? Doesn't look like the guy did anything wrong.

Do we even know why he joined the NW? Doesn't look like the guy did anything wrong.

I think because he lost his arm, or.thats how I read Jon's PoV in Game.of Thrones where he thinks about how.Noye had a chance to live his life

From aGoT, Jon III

The armorer could talk about life. He'd had one. He'd only taken the black after he'd lost an arm at the siege of Storm's End. Before that he'd smithed for Stannis Baratheon, the king's brother. He'd seen the Seven Kingdoms from one end to the other; he'd feasted and wenched and fought in a hundred battles. They said it was Donal Noye who'd forged King Robert's warhammer, the one that crushed the life from Rhaegar Targaryen on the Trident. He'd done all the things that Jon would never do, and then when he was old, well past thirty, he'd taken a glancing blow from an axe and the wound had festered until the whole arm had to come off. Only then, crippled, had Donal Noye come to the Wall, when his life was all but over.

Archived