[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

Secondly, the Wildling attack from the South lacked a clear objective and there was no discussion on what tactics to use to acheive that objective. So they get through Southern gate, what then? Maybe take the winch elevator out of comission so that no more reinforcements could come down and then take the Wall gate so the rest of the army could enter. Instead the plan was to kill crows and you had a bunch of people running around without any sort of purpose, why for instance were they trying to attack the kitchen?

OK you could argue that the wildlings lack discipline so why not show that.

Well, yeah, they are not a professional army, no matter how many good warriors they may have.

Imagine, for example, if the wildlings from the south had attacked without screaming first ? Go in quick and quiet as they've done before? They might have gotten total surprise.

But then a counter-nitpick, as the Watch pretty much knows there are wildling raiders south of the wall, and Gilly just ran past the wildling camp to Castle Black (which the wildlings failed to notice?), so I suppose the wildlings would not have been able to achieve total surprise in any case.

I would not be surprised if the writers planned out two versions - one where Gilly escaping to Castle Black warns the Watch of their approach, but only after most of them are on top of the Wall (Problem = too much reliance on Gilly.); the other being what we actually saw.

Ugh, that would be terrible. At least they should make clear that the NW won and have a first meeting between Jon and Stan the Man or Jon and Davos (or both).

Heh, I agree with you on this as well. However, I could easily see them doing an end of season cliffhanger at the Wall in just this manner :worried:

A chipped tooth? I don't even expect Jon to have a bruise from his face first into the anvil.

Can't hurt that face nor mess with the hair. That's GoT's real moneymaker. If anything happens to that, they can just insert a mop instead of Jon and have the other actors play against that.

See I think what happened North of the Wall made sense. They were trying to distract the defenders and forcing them to keep some men atop the Wall while the real attack came from the South, it was the Southern attack that really did not make sense.

Lol, the Northern attack didn't make sense as well. If they wanted to distract the NW men they should have mounted a fiercer attack on the gates. If Mance has more giants than why didn't he use them to shoot those arrows of theirs and break the top of the wall down.

Why weren't their climbers on other parts of the wall or why didn't they light fires one mile further, the NW would have to check that out. Also, the big fire only serves to paint them well against the ice. For a NW member with a ballista trying to bag himself a giant that light was a gift from the Gods.

The first problem was Ygriite scouting out the strength holding the gate, why the heck would they have her do that? They have the owl guy, he would be able to get much more exact intelligence than she couid.

So true, also why did the warg even participate in a head on assault. Any real life commander would get that he's much to valuable to use that way, especially since he controls a freaking bird and not a bear or a wolf.

Secondly, the Wildling attack from the South lacked a clear objective and there was no discussion on what tactics to use to acheive that objective. So they get through Southern gate, what then? Maybe take the winch elevator out of comission so that no more reinforcements could come down and then take the Wall gate so the rest of the army could enter. Instead the plan was to kill crows and you had a bunch of people running around without any sort of purpose, why for instance were they trying to attack the kitchen?

Obviously, the Thenns wanted the secure the kitchen in order to prepare their midnight snacks. Luckily, superhero cook stopped them! That guy was the most realistic warrior in this entire episode imo.

Obviously, the Thenns wanted the secure the kitchen in order to prepare their midnight snacks. Luckily, superhero cook stopped them! That guy was the most realistic warrior in this entire episodes imo.

Hahaha Why was that guy just in the kitchens and not out fighting. Was he just making dinner for everybody and hellbent on finishing the stew.

The thought that these guys might finish ahead of the books and do a terrible job at it is very unsettling.

The thought that these guys might finish ahead of the books and do a terrible job at it is very unsettling.

Agreed.

The show keeps getting worse and worse. Everything is fine as long as they are just adapting stuff from the books, slightly irritating when some little change is made that seems unnecessary and the stuff they make up entirely is just shit.

I'm still watching, I do get enjoyment out of it, but I find myself becoming less forgiving with the continued pile up of clusterfucks. I'm also pretty good at being able to bitch on the one hand but view it as a separate entity on the other hand for parts I find enjoyable. I do both worry and wonder, though, will this show be my only chance at having any idea on the totality of the story going forward. GRRM seems to be a bigger procrastinator than I am myself.

I'm not sure what the show would have to do to get me to stop watching, the bad would have to really outweigh the good by miles and miles. It always helps that I can and do reread. The show can't take the story that's already written from me, I just wish GRRM would get busy with getting the rest of it out and about for all of us.

Personally, I won't stop watching even if it get's to tWD levels of quality. I want to be there to see spoilers for the books :D

However, lately I have been thinking about watching the show drunk. It means that I'll have to wait a little while to see it, since Uni won't allow me to do that directly when the episodes comes out. But I could plan for it, if the booze shuts down my critical reasoning skills, I'll like this show a lot more.

I'm just sad that ASOIAF didn't get the dramatic adaptation it deserves. It's no the wire or Hannibal or any of the other greats. It's more like tWD and suits and that stuff. Fluff, entertaining fluff, but still fluff that tries to disguise itself as a serious drama.

Agreed.

The show keeps getting worse and worse. Everything is fine as long as they are just adapting stuff from the books, slightly irritating when some little change is made that seems unnecessary and the stuff they make up entirely is just shit.

Perfect way of putting it. The little changes they make are pointless, and what they make up is just godawful. Missandei and Grey Worm's dickless love...Tyrion's beetle ruminations...lol my God, make it stop!

YOu had one job, little fellow.

And you nailed it/her.

http://i.imgur.com/2y1U7sJ.jpg

Hated that moment... the kid is shitting his pants the entire time before that scene, people are getting killed all around him, he's completely exposed and still he has time for a "whazz up, dude" moment... Unbefuckinglievable!

Hahaha Why was that guy just in the kitchens and not out fighting. Was he just making dinner for everybody and hellbent on finishing the stew.

Must I spell out everything for you people? :p Why don't you see D&D's brilliant design!!! Superhero Cook was obviously waiting to be unleashed on the Thenns, he was like that sword in Pacific Rim that appeared out of nowhere to save the protagonists ass!

My advice to us all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk :'( it's to late.

Let's just hope that one of us someday get's filthy rich and makes a true adaptation of this story.

I sort of understand the purpose of the southern attack on the wall, which presumably is the same as in the books just slightly better coordinated - opening the gate lets Mance use his superior numbers to wipe out the Night's Watch with hardly any losses. Assaulting the Wall is costly. It's just the details of the attack that make little sense.

I think this particular episode is a testament to the fact that they can divert from canon and do it well. They made me sympathise with Thorne! Jon's mission to kill Mance makes more sense than his parley in the books IMHO. The southern attack on the wall coinciding with the main thrust is good as well. There are other examples in other episodes like Arya and the Hound.

A chipped tooth? I don't even expect Jon to have a bruise from his face first into the anvil.

Yeah, a bloody mouth and a concussion, at least. Adrenaline only lasts a short while after all.

He's got a bloody head, bloody nose (maybe broken) and bruises around his eye in the last scene before he walks out of the tunnel:

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s389/sj4iy/jon_finalscene_zps0e4975c1.png

He looks like he took a beating.

This "Inside the Episode" was hands down, the worst, most lame one of the entire series. Everyone patting each other on the back for what a fantastic episode they put together.

Have to disagree, because of my personal reasons: I finally got some long awaited satisfaction.

You see, two years ago, on this very site I raised the issue of two scenes - one from episode 1x05 and one from episode 2x05 - in which parts of the action were sped up in the editing, in order for fighting to look more effective. And I heavily criticized D&D for that choice. I said it's a blasphemy no respectable show/movie would ever allow itself. Now, to say that I was heavily criticized for that criticism would be an understatement. Loads of show lovers were attacking and insulting me, saying, among other things, that I obviously know nothing about editing nor about television. By numerous posters, some of them professional editors (or so they claimed), speeding-up was described as a standard editing technique that is used all the time in movies and TV. Someone linked my essay on WiC.net, and posters there were even more furious at myself, with some going as far as speculating that I don't even exist - that it's just Elio&Linda (or even Martin himself) writing under false identity, because they secretly hate D&D because of the show's success.

So it is with great surprise and ultimate pleasure that I watched D.B. Weiss, of all people, essentially admitting the criticism of that editing was very justified. In "Inside the episode" video, starting at 4:21, Weiss says that Kit was so good in action scenes, that at one instance they (presumably he and Benioff) thought someone sped up the raw footage, and they wanted it brought back to normal speed. Weiss' words: "It looks fake, it looks too fast, can we fix whatever somebody did to that shot?" Eventually, after a visual effects editor checked the scene, it turned out nobody sped-up anything, just Kit was that fast. But, that's beside my point. And my point is: thank you, Mr. Weiss, for confirming that what you did in episodes 1x05 and 2x05 was very, very wrong. It was so wrong that, this time around, you insisted on fixing the scene you thought was sped-up, before the expert convinced you there's no need for fixing, because nobody sped-up the footage. A better man probably wouldn't enjoy this turn of events as much as I do at the moment. And a big hello to all those experts that for two years were calling me ignorant, prick, jerk, king of nitpicking, hateful purist, and so on.

I think this particular episode is a testament to the fact that they can divert from canon and do it well. They made me sympathise with Thorne! Jon's mission to kill Mance makes more sense than his parley in the books IMHO. The southern attack on the wall coinciding with the main thrust is good as well. There are other examples in other episodes like Arya and the Hound.

Jon's mission is the same as in the books, except in the books it was a mission designed with the hopes of getting him killed. He also had Tormund as an ally to greet him and speak for his right to talk to Mance, and a more fleshed out relationship with the wildlings as a whole.

Much and more has been said and picked upon. I was rather unmoved by the whole episode (which isn't a good sign, really). But that anvil! Why for the love of Gods did they have to put that scene in? It's just so ridiculous. Smash the pretty boy face first onto a fucking anvil without so much as giving him a scratch... why? Why?

Archived