Confessions from 2014

DreamSongs

George has ruined all other works for me with his unpredictability. I cant measure anything else up to it because of this.

Everybody is doing it nowadays trying to be unpredictable, killing off the good guys, giving the assholes cliche tortured pasts and making them into antiheroes, giving the evil doers a viewpoint and having sympathetic moments. Everybody is doing it now.

And I hate the show, I don't care about the show, I don't talk about the show and I don't want to read about the show. It's annoying coming into the book forum getting multiple post about the show, some of us don't care about the show.

GRRM, forgive me, for I have sinned. I confess I have had impure thoughts regarding ......seriously though, I despise, that as a "new" fan of the books because of the show, I and my "theories" are poo'ed poo'ed by the "omniscient, from the beginning of time, have talked to GRRM himself, spend all waking hours on these forums and wiki" posters. Yeah, it might be odd, or querky, but it still has relevance (even as a jumping off point or outside the box or bridge to something else) until GRRM writes (insert publishes) something to disprove my newbie theory.

"It is known" is not a guarantee of truth of a statement.

Now I can go back to my impure thoughts of Drogo, Jamie, and Tyrion.

Lets see

-I think I am more excited for tWoIaF than WoW

-Jon, Dany and Tyrion are all boring. Upon my rereads, Dany is the most interesting of all three come DwD (jeez, never thought I'd say that).

-Like several already said, Val is an awful character

-There won't be a situation where I won't be rooting for Stannis

-Sansa>Arya in every conceivable way

-I don't give a flying fuck about Rhaegar, Lyanna, Ashara Dayne or Arthur Dayne

-I like Aeron and Areo chapters

-Jaime and Cersei are extremely compelling and I wish them the best

-If you're a northern lord and your name isn't Roose Bolton, Wyman Manderly or Barbrey Dustin, you likely have a single digit IQ

Lets see

-I think I am more excited for tWoIaF than WoW

-Jon, Dany and Tyrion are all boring. Upon my rereads, Dany is the most interesting of all three come DwD (jeez, never thought I'd say that).

-Like several already said, Val is an awful character

-There won't be a situation where I won't be rooting for Stannis

-Sansa>Arya in every conceivable way

-I don't give a flying fuck about Rhaegar, Lyanna, Ashara Dayne or Arthur Dayne

-I like Aeron and Areo chapters

-Jaime and Cersei are extremely compelling and I wish them the best

-If you're a northern lord and your name isn't Roose Bolton, Wyman Manderly or Barbrey Dustin, you likely have a single digit IQ

You are my polar opposite and you must be stopped. :)

Roose is boring, his goal is the same as everyone else's in this series, he's interchangeable and he's not funny.

I don't care if Shireen lives or dies

Cersei should have never became a POV she's repetitive and boring in her thoughts, I prefer reading about her unraveling through someone else's eyes.

Jaime doesn't deserve to kill Cersei

I'm glad Jon got shanked now hopefully he will come back as ruthless as ever

-I hate it when Cersei refers herself as a Queen, hate to break it to you but when Robert died, you lost your title as Queen, I don't care if you're queen regent, you're not the f'ing Queen anymore unless you're married to a living King.

-Another thing about Cersei, I felt really uncomfortable reading her chapters

-I don't enjoy Asha in the books as much as I could because of the actress who plays her, though her name's Yara, it's still the same person essentially. I now super picky, but that's just the weird way I am

-Me & my brother laughed when Jojen was being stabbed, we felt it was unintentionally hilarious

-The only thing I didn't mind about Cat's chapters were the characters around her

-I felt Robb was a bit of a dull, mummy's boy character IMO

I believe Cersei is Queen. She killed the previous ruler and her heirs are ruling. The lady has founded a new dynasty and Stannis can grind his teeth to powder for all I care.

Also I like tumblr's ASoIaFandom much more than westeros'.

Also, people using 21st century standards to judge the characters are completely annoying.

Pet peeve = people who attempt to impose their own interpretations on others. Readers can like, dislike or judge the characters by any standards they choose because readers are individuals who have free will.

Furthermore, reading a book is always a personal, private experience which doesn't impact anyone else's experience of the book in any way.

-I'm a Stannis fan, and I like Dany. I won't bear a grudge when she burns him with Drogon.

-I agree with the Val sucks people. I'm actually glad she likely will not appear on the show.

-I don't dislike Jon, but I don't want him anywhere near the Iron Throne. Him ending up on the throne would be a dull ending.

Pet peeve = people who attempt to impose their own interpretations on others. Readers can like, dislike or judge the characters by any standards they choose because readers are individuals who have free will.

Furthermore, reading a book is always a personal, private experience which doesn't impact anyone else's experience of the book in any way.

Yes, well said. I was recently reading an ssm where grrm said he designed characters etc to provoke different responses from different readers. So trying to force a consensus on actions/characters being 'bad' or 'good' where there are shades of grey and cultivated complexities seems to conflict with the authors intentions. Opinions on such matters have equal weight coming from a fresh noob or a studious devotee I think.

I find the Essosi (or.some.of the more fleshed out ones like Skahaz the Shavepate and Hizdhar) to be better characters than Tormund "Look-at-me-Member" Giantsbane, and find it ludicrous that people.call Essosi characters useless and cartoonish whilst Tormund remains a fan.favourite.

Similarly, I do not like the Wildlings

I find the Essosi (or.some.of the more fleshed out ones like Skahaz the Shavepate and Hizdhar) to be better characters than Tormund "Look-at-me-Member" Giantsbane, and find it ludicrous that people.call Essosi characters useless and cartoonish whilst Tormund remains a fan.favourite.

Couldn't agree more. I'd add the GG to those you mentioned.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the Essosi, but I agree on Tormund. Tormund, Ygritte, Val, and basically any wildling who is not Mance I do not like.

I think people are quick to refer to the Essosi as cartoonish in a way to diminish Dany's storyline any way they can. Now, I'm no fan of Dany, but she's not surrounded by any more cartoonish people than Jon is. They are both surrounded by more fleshed out characters (e.g. Jorah/Barristan with Dany and Stannis/Mel with Jon) and more simple, one dimensional characters (some of the Masters, some of the Wildlings etc.)

Archived