Confessions from 2014

DreamSongs

Minsc, on 17 Jun 2014 - 6:42 PM, said:Minsc, on 17 Jun 2014 - 6:42 PM, said:

I have no idea why Val is popular at all, in how she is basically the definition of generic in my opinion. Honestly, the only thing I remember about her is her talking bad about Shireen.

this. I just think she's a less interesting, less sexy, less awesome version of ygritte. that might be the point, but it never hooked me. plus, she was mean to shireen.

I feel like this forum warps my views on characters, not always for the better. When I read the books, i found Dany boring, but i didn't hate her. Then i found the boards. I recently finished rereading ADWD, and while I do realize she is a bad ruler, pretty stupid, etc. I didn't hate her that much. she was trying to be good. just failing.

- I've never stopped rooting for Theon, in the books or the show. I've always hated the rest of the Greyjoys, except Euron, for the way they treated him.( I hate Euron for more unique reasons)

- I enjoyed the Areo chapters WAY more than Sansa's.

- I find Hyle Hunt more sympathetic/enjoyable than Brienne

- I hate it when people try to defend Shae.

- I now hate the show with an intensity I didn't know I possessed.

- I ship Jon and Dany.

- I find A+J=T to easily be one of the most plausible theories on this forum.

Fallen Prince, on 18 Jun 2014 - 6:07 PM, said:

- I've never stopped rooting for Theon, in the books or the show. I've always hated the rest of the Greyjoys, except Euron, for the way they treated him.( I hate Euron for more unique reasons)

- I enjoyed the Areo chapters WAY more than Sansa's.

- I find Hyle Hunt more sympathetic/enjoyable than Brienne

- I hate it when people try to defend Shae.

- I now hate the show with an intensity I didn't know I possessed.

- I ship Jon and Dany.

- I find A+J=T to easily be one of the most plausible theories on this forum.

I do love theon, and i find it annoying when people say he still hasn't gotten what he deserves. I think he had more than paid for his crimes.

what is A+J = T?

When people say "the dragon has three heads" I imagined something like Rhaegar or Aegon I or, dunno, some hot Targ having three penises... #sorrynotsorry

hue!!!

Also i cant believe i missed this post of yours:

I've always thought that Cersei smells like she just had sex.

:rofl: I can see it! If not that, then she smells like Fredrick's of Hollywood.

I confess it took me a while to make the connection that Mance was Abel.

Im....in the same longboat. *sheepish look* It took me far too long to realize that and its kind of embarrassing...

"Wheres Mance all this time? Where did he go? Ive...

Oh.."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to go all social justice warrior on anyone, just some of the responses on the Shae threads make me genuinely sad for society. If you think Shae is a bad person, that's fine, I'm not saying she's Mary Sunshine or anything. Just that her murder was in fact murder, done from a bruised ego, and not some form of justice.

Tyrion did not have the right to withhold payment and trap her in a menial job while still expecting sex. He did not have the right to hit her. He did not have the right to kill her. Shae is as much a person (within the story) as Tyrion, and is just as much in the right to do what's best for her as he's in the right to do what's best for him- so long as they're not killing people.

I don't think anyone has to like a character because of what's between their legs, but there are a lot of double standards regarding how women and men are perceived and judged for similar actions.

I get ya, sweetums, really i do. Im not talking about pointing out stuff like that. Im all about pointing out the double standards and anyone doing that is fighting the good fight. Im talking those people who get real obnoxious about it. There was one guy in the TV boards that oh my freaking gods...I just couldnt...comprehend...wow...like...yeah.

I confess I hate the unsullied with a fiery passion. They are absolute scum, easily the most overrated force in the history of science fiction.

srsly wtf, a fighting force of spear-men that are castrated before puberty? thats stupid.

You know i...

I confess I got halfway through that before realising you were talking about the actual Unsullied, not people who only watch the show. :lol:

totally that. LOL!

They're nicer! Also, the mindset is more similar to mine-i don't feel that I'm constantly going over the same ground over and over.

Aww, I've had exams and the forums have been somewhat dry of late.

Also I am disappointed to hear Linda is involved with WoIaF.

*cancels order*

Some people like a more echo chambery type atmosphere. I think the reason i keep coming back here is because i like seeing so many different opinions and takes on things. (im not an echo chamber fan.) Its just i see so much vitriol for things that dont deserve it around here [read: fans of the show] and it just saddens me. (tv forums. I should like, not post in there anymore omg.) Tumblr is probably fun for your crack ships too huh ;)

Bolded: Oh man.. <3 I missed you too, WK.

Why does some people have a problem with this Linda chick helping to write this book?

*snorts*

Heres a really unpopular one: I like the show and think some of the things it does is better than the books. But i also believe that the books do other things better. So they hold equal water with me.

Blasphemy!

:V But i really like Show!Sansa more than Book!Sansa! Maybe its because the show has her doing basically what i hoped she would do. I also really like show!Ramsay a lot. (no, not in the DILP way.) Show!Viserys was the freaking business. I love the way Meereen looks in the show cuz i pictured it as...grosser or grimier? in the books. And i have a slight crush on show!Tormund. Show!Shireen is awesome and show!Melisandre has me warming to her character in the books as well.

:V But i really like Show!Sansa more than Book!Sansa! Maybe its because the show has her doing basically what i hoped she would do. I also really like show!Ramsay a lot. (no, not in the DILP way.) Show!Viserys was the freaking business. I love the way Meereen looks in the show cuz i pictured it as...grosser or grimier? in the books. And i have a slight crush on show!Tormund. Show!Shireen is awesome and show!Melisandre has me warming to her character in the books as well.

I don't have the same opinion on characters, but yeah, I wish people could discuss things like that, what storylines/characters we think are actually better in the show than the books. It does happen, but most of the time it's just ''herp derp you either like the show or the books can't like both''.

For example, I was pretty neutral to Book!Sandor, but Show!Sandor was so well acted I liked him a lot more. Show!Oberyn was the man. Show!Maergery is just better than her almost non-existent book counterpart. Show!Daario is much less of a douche and actually proves his martial skill firsthand. Show!Cercei is much less of a crazy villain than Book!Cercei (so far) and hopefully we will never get the Maggy the Frog story. Show!Tywin is very similar to Book!Tywin but he looks much less silly; sorry, but bald head and sideburns just make me laugh. I also liked some scenes in the show better too (such as Cat going catatonic during the RW rather than claw her face off, I always thought that was just silly).

I don't think anyone has to like a character because of what's between their legs, but there are a lot of double standards regarding how women and men are perceived and judged for similar actions.

Amen... I couldn't agree more... I hate double standards. I was still recovering from the fact that it's OK that Robert shouldn't have cared about his bastard children while Catelyn had to learn to love Jon, when I saw this amazing thread about Cersei's madness where people discussed that she is mostly mad due to her sexual history. Interestingly enough no one ever mentioned Jaime who was doing the same. Ah, those double standards... And I also confess that I hate myself for forgetting Apple's definition of misogyny. That way I would remember that it is OK to bash one female character's life(for example Cersei), while at the same time defending other female character from exactly same accusations (like Daenerys).

I watched the first season of the show before reading all of the books. And I hate that to some that makes me some sort of filthy peasant who is jumping on the bandwagon.

The books are miles better than the show (imo) but I do love seeing great scenes acted out by terrific actors. Plus, in the show we get additional stuff with non-PoV characters and some great original scenes (Tywin and Arya, for example). I even like some stuff more in the show like the Arya and the Hound stuff.

I'm tired of the fact that if anyone questions a change from book to screen, or dares to say its not as good as the book, they are deemed a book snob and that the show and the books are different entities etc etc etc. Yes, they're different, but one might be better than the other and it is perfectly fine to question the show writers' choices (Jaime raping Cersei anyone?)

I read all of Dany's ADWD chapters again, because of those essays that people occasionally link to on here. I paid a lot more attention and definitely found more mystery and intrigue that time, but I still didn't particularly enjoy them.

Daario and Dany together make me want to dig my eye out with a rusty spoon.

I really like the Dornish stuff, although I wish we didn't have Hotah as a PoV. They could do with a few new interesting characters though, the adult SS are a little boring and Darkstar is, well, Darkstar.

Direwolves > Dragons

I don't have the same opinion on characters, but yeah, I wish people could discuss things like that, what storylines/characters we think are actually better in the show than the books. It does happen, but most of the time it's just ''herp derp you either like the show or the books can't like both''.

For example, I was pretty neutral to Book!Sandor, but Show!Sandor was so well acted I liked him a lot more. Show!Oberyn was the man. Show!Maergery is just better than her almost non-existent book counterpart. Show!Daario is much less of a douche and actually proves his martial skill firsthand. Show!Cercei is much less of a crazy villain than Book!Cercei (so far) and hopefully we will never get the Maggy the Frog story. Show!Tywin is very similar to Book!Tywin but he looks much less silly; sorry, but bald head and sideburns just make me laugh. I also liked some scenes in the show better too (such as Cat going catatonic during the RW rather than claw her face off, I always thought that was just silly).

:cheers: We likely wont get Maggy in the show and i think the story might be better off for it. I also really do love show!Marg. Show!Joffrey was really awesome too. So horrible and well acted. I prefer Jon's story in the books, but i like looking at show!Jon a lot. :v

Amen... I couldn't agree more... I hate double standards. I was still recovering from the fact that it's OK that Robert shouldn't have cared about his bastard children while Catelyn had to learn to love Jon, when I saw this amazing thread about Cersei's madness where people discussed that she is mostly mad due to her sexual history. Interestingly enough no one ever mentioned Jaime who was doing the same. Ah, those double standards... And I also confess that I hate myself for forgetting Apple's definition of misogyny. That way I would remember that it is OK to bash one female character's life(for example Cersei), while at the same time defending other female character from exactly same accusations (like Daenerys).

Looks like i missed something while kinda popping in and out...

Bolded: wut. O_o

Thanks for the answer

(its not kosher to discuss publicly, sorry mate.)

I would suggest a good google search. Or you can PM me.

This.

Oh yeah. Ive come to love Dorne a lot over time and looking back at the characters. Arianne is in my top ten. My Top Five is still unchanged but yeah.

:cheers: We likely wont get Maggy in the show and i think the story might be better off for it. I also really do love show!Marg. Show!Joffrey was really awesome too. So horrible and well acted. I prefer Jon's story in the books, but i like looking at show!Jon a lot. :v

I've heard that they are casting for a young Cersei for next season, so I think Maggy will appear.

While, Daeron II was the rightful king and most likely much more qualified for some reason I will always like Daemon Blackfyre and find him to be one of the coolest historical characters.

I hate both the Greens and Blacks, but the Blacks even more for Blood and Cheese.

Archived