Should films like The Interview be sanctioned? And now the Sony Hack

Fragile Bird

Conspiracy Theory: what if the movie REALLY IS a US Government plot to get that little Unicorn Tamer to do something stupidly retaliatory so we can justifiably go in there and Spread Some Freedom?!

Operation Haircut Liberty

Anybody remember the beginning of Real Genius? Dropped a bomb in Saddam's lap, it did!

So the question is should we set aside one of our fundamental rights for fear of what might be the insane reaction of a lunatic. Nope. You see even if Kim Jong-un were to say shoot down a passenger plane in retaliation the fault would not lie with the movie or movie makers, it would lie with the lunatic who shot down a fucking plane because his feelings were hurt.

I'm sure we all remember the dire consequences of American film-makers mocking the North Korean leader mercilessly and then fictionally killing him off in Team America...

We got one of the greatest comic monologues in film history. And I'm not even kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32iCWzpDpKs (Not Safe for Work Language)

North Korea has been kidnapping people, killing folks, and sinking ships long before Seth Rogan ever considered doing a movie about them. The world has decided that this was OK and not to press the issue. I really can't see how anyone can point a finger at a movie and assign some type of preemptive blame.

I find it offensive that I have to consider censoring a fellow citizen's free speech in case some powermad idiot decides to harm innocent people because he can't take a joke. Maybe if this individual decides that an airliner goes down to soothe his fractured ego then that individual should get a taste of deterrent.

Shouldn't the North Koreans view this film as a wonderful representation of the US government's duplicitousness and treachery?

It's probably the fact that Kim won't be portrayed as a shining sun-god that really rankles them, rather than the premise of the CIA trying to off him

I'm torn on this. Ignoring the political angle for a second, one of the things that makes this interesting is that the film is portraying a plot to kill a real life individual without that individual's consent. Consider, if you will, a similar film in which the target of the assassination attempt was instead a famous sportsman or singer, and that film was made and distributed without the prior consent of the target. Would that be OK? Does the target have a right to object to being used in the plot of a film like that?

ST

They have every right to object, and try to rally people to their cause. But should they be allowed to use force against the filmmakers? Absolutely not.

We're talking about the ruler of, arguably, the most perverse and cruel state in the world anyway. Fuck his feelings, or any politician's for that matter. If it was a film about assassinating Bono or something I would see your point. Though that would actually be pretty funny too

• 5 months later...

So.

It appears that North Korea has hacked Sony's website, brought it down, and has stolen 5 unreleased Christmas movies and put them on the internet. Sony could lose millions on the movies. And as of today they have still warned employees not to use their computers or e-mail.

And when asked about it, a North Korean official said "wait and see" when asked if North Korea was behind the hacking.

Apparently 82 pieces of code with a North Korean IP address were found in hacked accounts.

So.

It appears that North Korea has hacked Sony's website, brought it down, and has stolen 5 unreleased Christmas movies and put them on the internet. Sony could lose millions on the movies. And as of today they have still warned employees not to use their computers or e-mail.

And when asked about it, a North Korean official said "wait and see" when asked if North Korea was behind the hacking.

Apparently 82 pieces of code with a North Korean IP address were found in hacked accounts.

Holy shit...

North Korea and internet pirates on the same side. What horrors and atrocities will come of this alliance?

There is some suspicion the Chinese helped....

Not gonna lie;maybe my perception of NK's capabilities has been tainted by the evil media, but my immediate reaction was:"that makes more sense".

I also can't believe that "Annie" was the target and result of an international cooperative sabotage operation.

News report: http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/north-korea-tells-sony-pictures-just-wait-and-see-after-cyberattack-1.2856359

About North Korean hackers: http://recode.net/2014/12/01/heres-what-we-know-about-north-koreas-cyberwar-army/

Digital copies of unreleased Sony films "Annie," "Mr. Turner," "Still Alice" and "To Write Love on Her Arms" -- as well as the war movie "Fury," which is currently playing in theaters -- appeared online November 27. Later that day, a person claiming to be "the boss of G.O.P." emailed reporters with links to purported stolen internal data.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/u-s-officials-are-investigating-north-korea-sony-movie-hack-n259021

As I said in the OP, Castel, I could not figure out the appropriate word to use in the title of this thread. Absolutely no doubt freedom of speech is a keystone of Western democracy. I just happen to think the leaders of North Korea are bat shit crazy. I think it will take all the fun out of the film if the North Koreans decide, say, to shoot down a US commercial jet because it got too close to North Korean airspace. North Korea hates the USA. That's why I used the example of Canadians being offended if they made a comedy about assassinating the Canadian PM. The guys could have made the exact same film and changed the name of the country, for example, they didn't have to go out of their way to be so direct.

I could see a film about the CIA sending someone to assassinate the PM of Canada happening. I envision an Austin Powers-type comedy.

I'm not Canadian, and don't know many Canadians. But I find it hard to imagine a sensible and not-cartoonish people getting worked up over that.

Wow. This seems like something a highschooler would do. Especially the 'wait and see' part.

I'm curious Fragile Bird, do you consider this an example of the sort of consequences you were worried about? I mean, it's obviously not as serious as some of the other examples but do you feel like this is the sort of thing they would have been avoiding or is it so small-potatoes that you don't really care?

Archived