Dany will NOT fight the Others

Mithras

I find it funny that "Dany will not.believe in "grumkins and snarks" when her arc is one of, if not the most, heavily involved in magic, prophecy and.the supernatural.

Not to mention she's already put aside her quest for the IT once already for a more important cause. Why is it so hard to believe she'll do it again?

Not to mention she's already put aside her quest for the IT once already for a more important cause. Why is it so hard to believe she'll do it again?

Question for you Nic, why is Paper Weaver so obsessed with ants? Every thread I see him on it's ant this and ant that.

I find it funny that "Dany will not.believe in "grumkins and snarks" when her arc is one of, if not the most, heavily involved in magic, prophecy and.the supernatural.

Also to add, she has had first-hand experience of re-animated corpses just like the wights in the house of the Undying. So she will find it; not even 99% but 100% believable that dead things can come to life.

Agree to disagree then. I hope you enjoy the “glorified Dany” you have as much as you can. Can’t wait for TWoW.

Her Grace swung from rage to despair and back again, clutching so desperately at the Iron Throne that both her hands were bloody by the time the sun set.

I think Dany, who is Rhaenyra’s parallel, will get both her hands bloody in her pursuit to the IT.

A body believed to be Rhaenys Targaryen was later found beside the carcass of her dragon, but so blackened that no one could be sure it was her.

Rhaenys Targaryen, The Queen Who Never Was, was trapped between Aegon the Golden and Aemond the Kinslayer and her corpse was so blackened that she was unrecognizable. I think Dany will be positioned between Stannis (the Kinslayer) in the North and Aegon in the South. By the time the Dance is over, she will be so blackened that she will be unrecognizable. I think Dany will also be the Queen Who Never Was.

Agree to disagree then. I hope you enjoy the “glorified Dany” you have as much as you can. Can’t wait for TWoW.

Her Grace swung from rage to despair and back again, clutching so desperately at the Iron Throne that both her hands were bloody by the time the sun set.

I think Dany, who is Rhaenyra’s parallel, will get both her hands bloody in her pursuit to the IT.

A body believed to be Rhaenys Targaryen was later found beside the carcass of her dragon, but so blackened that no one could be sure it was her.

Rhaenys Targaryen, The Queen Who Never Was, was trapped between Aegon the Golden and Aemond the Kinslayer and her corpse was so blackened that she was unrecognizable. I think Dany will be positioned between Stannis (the Kinslayer) in the North and Aegon in the South. By the time the Dance is over, she will be so blackened that she will be unrecognizable. I think Dany will also be the Queen Who Never Was.

Neither can I. I am looking forward to Dany bringing some fire and blood to Westeros.

wait a second what happened to Danny will go to the wall and die giving birth ...

GRRM needs to write those books faster than ever

couldnt agree more ...i hope this thread stays alive until then

The next morning she woke stiff and sore and aching, with ants crawling on her arms and legs and face. When she realized what they were, she kicked aside the stalks of dry brown grass that had served as her bed and blanket and struggled to her feet. She had bites all over her, little red bumps, itchy and inflamed. Where did all the ants come from? Dany brushed them from her arms and legs and belly. She ran a hand across her stubbly scalp where her hair had burned away, and felt more ants on her head, and one crawling down the back of her neck. She knocked them off and crushed them under her bare feet. There were so many …

It turned out that their anthill was on the other side of her wall. She wondered how the ants had managed to climb over it and find her. To them these tumbledown stones must loom as huge as the Wall of Westeros. The biggest wall in all the world, her brother Viserys used to say, as proud as if he’d built it himself.

Just to add a point to that quote, I'd like to say that the prediction here is exactly the opposite: Dany isn't only going to fight the Others, she will fight the Night's King and someone mounted/warged/both on a Dragon.

Notice what is described in that scene: First, she brushed the ants off her arms and legs and belly. I think that means she cleaning the realm from the Others. Then she finds ants on the top of her head(where her crown would be) and one in the back of her neck(as if mounted on her, she being a dragon(look, for example, at how she describes riding Drogon. She says that she mounts his neck when riding him))

So, I think that your passage is really meaningful, but you saw it the wrong way, in my opinion. I mean, the girl has dragons, it makes more sense in my head if she has a part to play in the battle against the cold evil zombies, right?

Dany hates the North because Ned helped the Usurper kill her father. She'd rather hear a comforting lie than hear how horrible her father was and Selmy is more than willing to give it to her, even though he knows the truth. Immature, short tempered, incapable of thinking more than a step ahead with a horrible, cowardly counselor*, Dany would only deal with the Others when they're knocking on King's Landing's door.

She sent away the only counselor who was decent, remember it was Jorah's idea for her not to speak Valyrian at Astapor and to get the Unsullied. Had he not been around she'd be back in Pentos, still a pawn of Illyria and Varys.

*The fact Selmy refuses to demand Dany hear the truth about here father makes him a coward and a horrible counselor. He was more than willing to tell Robert he's a coward to send an assassin after Dany, but kowtows in fear of upsetting Dany.

Dany hates the North because Ned helped the Usurper kill her father. She'd rather hear a comforting lie than hear how horrible her father was and Selmy is more than willing to give it to her, even though he knows the truth. Immature, short tempered, incapable of thinking more than a step ahead with a horrible, cowardly counselor*, Dany would only deal with the Others when they're knocking on King's Landing's door.

She sent away the only counselor who was decent, remember it was Jorah's idea for her not to speak Valyrian at Astapor and to get the Unsullied. Had he not been around she'd be back in Pentos, still a pawn of Illyria and Varys.

*The fact Selmy refuses to demand Dany hear the truth about here father makes him a coward and a horrible counselor. He was more than willing to tell Robert he's a coward to send an assassin after Dany, but kowtows in fear of upsetting Dany.

1) Dany does not hate the North. She hates Ned Stark, yes, but not the entire region known as the North

2) Robert Baratheon did not kill King Aerys II

3) Dany has often asked for information about her family, including "the good and the...other" but Selmy is either reticent, interrupted, or sent away. It's not all on him. GRRM is deliberately avoiding the big "this is your life Daenerys Targaryen" moment until the moment is right, because it involves revealing things like Summerhall.

4) Selmy spoke out against sending an assassin after Dany in AGOT. Only he and Ned of the small council were against it.

1) Dany does not hate the North. She hates Ned Stark, yes, but not the entire region known as the North

2) Robert Baratheon did not kill King Aerys II

3) Dany has often asked for information about her family, including "the good and the...other" but Selmy is either reticent, interrupted, or sent away. It's not all on him. GRRM is deliberately avoiding the big "this is your life Daenerys Targaryen" moment until the moment is right, because it involves revealing things like Summerhall.

4) Selmy spoke out against sending an assassin after Dany in AGOT. Only he and Ned of the small council were against it.

1) Dany sees them as traitors, fighting against their rightful king. Dany doesn't give 2 @#$% about anyone in Westeros, she only wants to rule them.

2) Duh, but she blames him, the usurper. You never hear really go off on Jaime as she does Robert and Ned. Two guys her fathered ordered Jon Arryn to kill/deliver to KL to be killed.

3) You kind of agreed with me, he doesn't demand that Dany hear the truth. She calls Ned a traitor, but he doesn't demand she know the reasons why. When she asks him her father was mad he responds that he had madness in him but then says:

“there was a lot of good in him"

"His reign began with such promise…but as the years passed, the lapses grew more frequent, until…"

Dany stopped him. “Do I want to hear this now?”

Ser Barristan considered a moment. “Perhaps not. Not now.”

"Not now," she agreed. "One day. One day you must tell me all. The good and the bad. There is some good to be said of my father, surely?"

Apparently burning men alive is a "good" thing in his mind, along with only able to get it up by watching people die then raping his wife.

4) I said Selmy spoke-out against it. The only time in the books he's shown any kind of a spine or honor, but doesn't speak out against Dany. Served a mad king who killed the innocent, didn't resign. Had his king die, then just switched sides, because it's a lot easier than going to the Wall, brrr, that doesn't sound fun.

I took Robert's pardon, aye. I served him in Kingsguard and council. Served with the Kingslayer and others near as bad, who soiled the white cloak I wore. Nothing will excuse that. I might be serving in King's Landing still if the vile boy upon theIron Throne had not cast me aside, it shames me to admit.

He thinks down on his brothers, yet thinks himself much more honorable because he just stood by and watched. Honorable men stand-up for what is right, Barristan only does it once. Hell, Robert gave him his measter after the battle of the Trident, yet still doesn't say anything good about him. I suppose he does't say anything because he is in love with being a knight of the king's/queen's guard and doesn't want to be sent away like Jorah. Better to be seen as honorable, than actually being honorable and no one knowing it.

Dany doesn't give 2 @#$% about anyone in Westeros, she only wants to rule them.

"The Dothraki sacked cities and plundered kingdoms, they did not rule them. Dany had no wish to reduce King’s Landing to a blackened ruin full of unquiet ghosts. She had supped enough tears. I want to make my kingdom beautiful, to fill it with fat men and pretty maids and laughing children. I want my people to smile when they see me ride by, the way Viserys said they smiled for my father. But before she could do that she must conquer."

Brilliant analysis! But you forgot the most important part of the ant scene:

"Viserys told her tales of knights so poor that they had to sleep beneath the ancient hedges that grew along the byways of the Seven Kingdoms. Dany would have given much and more for a nice thick hedge. Preferably one without an anthill."

What this clearly shows is, instead of fighting the Others, Dany will give away her dragons for a "nice thick hedge", and be known as the Queen of Hedges (Olenna's gonna be so jelly). She'll live out the rest of her days, traveling the Seven Kingdoms, liberating all the shrubs and bushes, and uniting them into one giant hedge. It will be known as "that other Wall", and it will be used to separate Westeros from the ants.

*snip*

1. When has Dany seen the the whole North as traitors? Dany's whole shtick is caring about others (why did you think she was freeing slaves?). Also, see Nictarion's quote, above.
2. "Lannister or Stark, what difference? Viserys used to call them the Usurper’s dogs." She doesn't name Jaime, but the assumption is that he is one of the "dogs".
3. Why must Barry demand that she hear the truth, right there, at that moment? Will it magically solve all their problems in Meereen? Teleport them to Westeros? Transform Dany into the best Queen ever? Obviously, Barry doesn't think telling stories to Dany is a number one priority. That doesn't translate to condoning what Aerys did.
4. Admitting your mistakes takes balls. Clearly, Barristan acted dishonorably for a while, there, but being forced out of the KG was a wake-up call for Barry. That's why he made sure that Dany was not "tainted" before joining her. Also, it's not true that Barry meekly goes along with everything Dany says. He speaks his mind about using Unsullied soldiers, as well as trading a dragon for them.

Brilliant analysis! But you forgot the most important part of the ant scene:

"Viserys told her tales of knights so poor that they had to sleep beneath the ancient hedges that grew along the byways of the Seven Kingdoms. Dany would have given much and more for a nice thick hedge. Preferably one without an anthill."

What this clearly shows is, instead of fighting the Others, Dany will give away her dragons for a "nice thick hedge", and be known as the Queen of Hedges (Olenna's gonna be so jelly). She'll live out the rest of her days, traveling the Seven Kingdoms, liberating all the shrubs and bushes, and uniting them into one giant hedge. It will be known as "that other Wall", and it will be used to separate Westeros from the ants.

Or it could point to a parallel between Dunk (a big, strong, fiercely loyal hedge knight who was thick as a castle wall) and Victarion (a big, strong, fiercely loyal captain who is thick as a castle wall).

Archived