Videogames: The War (for equality) Has Just Begun

Jace, Extat

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/12/5996537/silent-hill-ps4-hideo-kojima-guillermo-del-toro

The next Silent Hill game will be a colaboration between Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro and will star Norman Reedus. The game was revealed through a playable teaser that was released on PSN as a demo for a mysterious new game called "P.T.".

I haven't really enjoyed any of the Silent Hill games since 3, but I'm very interested.

The next Silent Hill game will be a colaboration between Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro and will star Norman Reedus.

This is written like it's supposed to make me want the game, but I'm not seeing how someone would think that.

Considering they've done it for years and years now, evidence points towards it working.

Dubious in terms of moneyhatting. Certainly having a library of exclusives is important, product differentiation and all that. But arguably in terms of becoming a financially successful product the only time moneyhatting seems to have worked is with PS1. With PS2 building on that. And since then others have tried and seems to be largely failed to use moneyhatting to make a wildly successful console. Perhaps it worked in a limited way with the Sega Genesis.

It didn't work, financially or in terms of over all hardware sales, for Xbox. Arguably there were far more important factors in the success of Xbox 360 than moneyhatting a few exclusives. And one of those factors was the major screw up that was PS3 before 2009. Wii didn't need moneyhatting because they had the waggle stick and balance board that created a one generation fad, which sold primarily based on Nintendo's own games.

The only moneyhat Nintendo has done for Wii U, it seems, is Bayonetta 2 and that's not really going to get them very far. Though arguably moneyhatting a game that would not exist but for the hat full of money being handed to the developer isn't shouldn't really be the sort of moneyhatting that gets some people worked up. But people did get worked up something terrible over Bayonetta 2 for no good reason.

Exclusives are necessary, yes absolutely. But I question whether moneyhatting practices are really a financially viable tactic for the platform owner, and indeed whether they are a long term financially sensible decision for the developer.

In the case of TR, if TR and UC and TLOU can all succeed on PS (and they can I have no doubt, so long as SE doesn't spend ridiculous amounts on development), then TR, and Gears and [insert exclusive new TPS/action adventure, cinematic game here] can also all succeed on Xbox. I would argue that from a financial returns perspective MS would be more likely to succeed if they got some creative talent onto a new IP than buying exclusivity for a currently multiplat, ageing albeit with a facelift IP, which may or may not be on a resurgent path.

It will be interesting to watch what happens with RTR. If it's timed exclusivity, then the money MS will have spent will be considerably less, but the financial wisdom of it will probably also be less. I dunno if timed exclusivity is as useless as the fabled nipples on a breast plate, but it certainly feels that way to me. But then I am a person who is generally very patient about when I buy a game so I don't care about waiting.

You can argue that all you want, but the people with actual numbers in front of them seem to have kept the practice well alive, which suggests (but does not prove) that it provides a return on investment.

Further, if you are arguing for more exclusives via more new IP, moneyhatting makes even more sense since it's just plain cheaper then developing the game yourself.

FYI - sales doubled for the xbox 1 since the kinectless version debuted and it was still happily profitable. And halo was a money hat program. So was gta 3. If the game is that awesome people will buy a console for that game.

^Despite the doubling, apparently the ps4 still outsold the xb1 in the US in June. Seems as though Sony is still riding high on the goodwill from last year.

From what I understand, the quick and dirty of it is that moneyhatting does make sense. The developer is compensated right away as opposed to waiting for sales, and the platform would get a good exclusive, with roi potential. I'm just not a fan of 'moneyhatting' an existing IP - it cuts off part of the fan base, and unless Rises is a must-have game, many fans may just turn to an alternative instead of ponying up for an xb1. And ps4 owners have quite the alternative - UC4, which will be released sometime in 2015 as well.

As an owner of the 3 platforms, I'll probably just wait for the inevitable price cut on the inevitable PC version. PS/xb will continue to be my EA sports/2k machines, I guess.

Just a side question - why don't game devs bother putting live action sports games onto PC? Aside from FIFA and piss poor versions of NBA 2k, I don't see much of anything else. With the x86 architecture everywhere now, I doubt it'd be tough to port over something like NHL 15.

It will be interesting to watch what happens with RTR. If it's timed exclusivity, then the money MS will have spent will be considerably less, but the financial wisdom of it will probably also be less. I dunno if timed exclusivity is as useless as the fabled nipples on a breast plate, but it certainly feels that way to me. But then I am a person who is generally very patient about when I buy a game so I don't care about waiting.

Timed exclusivity is only really going to work if nobody knows that it's timed. Without that omission everyone will just wait the couple of extra months to get it on their preferred platform, and it would be pointless for MS to do it at all. But CD doesn't want t to piss off their customers too much, therefore we get rigidly worded statements, where they won't say "exclusive to XBox" without adding "2015 Holiday season."

Despite having played every TR since they first started making them, and as much I loved the last game, MS is going to need a lot more than RotTR to make me consider purchasing an XBone. At this point they really have nothing else that I care about.

And if RoTR never makes it over... oh well. I'll just have to play Uncharted 4 instead.

This is written like it's supposed to make me want the game, but I'm not seeing how someone would think that.

A lot of people like Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro and Norman Reedus?

I don't care that much about Reedus personally, but Del Toro and Kojima seem like exactly the right kind of weird to be making Silent Hill games.

You can argue that all you want, but the people with actual numbers in front of them seem to have kept the practice well alive, which suggests (but does not prove) that it provides a return on investment.

I don't know whether paying for exclusives is a good business practice or not, but this is not a good defense of the practice. Those people with the numbers were also the people who thought that people would be willing to buy a console that required an internet connection at all times, despite reams of focus group data saying that this wasn't the case.

So for some random reason I tried out the Strider demo on PS3...and fucking loved the shit out of it. I haven't played these kind of side-scroller action Metroidvania-type games since I was REALLY young, young enough that I didn't really appreciate it.

After finishing Strider (on Easy, by the way...I'm not very good at these games yet, but I'm getting better), I then purchased Guacamelee, since I'd heard of it recently. I loved the shit out of it (although for me personally the platforming got really, frustratingly hard towards the end...but I digress).

So, my question is simple: what other games in this vein (especially Strider, but just the genre in general) are out there that are available on PS3, preferably as a digital download? I really know NOTHING about the state of this genre right now. I know there's Shovel Knight, which I definitely want to play, but that's only PC and Nintendo for now.

Suggestions?

Trine 2 was pretty cool, it was one of the free ps4 games for ps plus two months ago, Strider was last month.

I assume Trine 2 is on ps3, it's a medieval themed side scroller. It's a bit less action-y than Strider. You have 3 characters with special abilities that you can switch at will to find ways to fight enemies and get across impediments. A knight, a wizard, and a thief. I really enjoyed it. The scenery is beautiful.

A lot of people like Hideo Kojima, Guillermo Del Toro and Norman Reedus?

I don't care that much about Reedus personally, but Del Toro and Kojima seem like exactly the right kind of weird to be making Silent Hill games.

Hideo Kojima and the word silent are antithetical, just for starters.

Archived