Videogames: The War (for equality) Has Just Begun

Jace, Extat

Still combat is not particularly strong. Which I guess means that I don't particularly care for most of the game mechanics. The riddles aren't impressive either. Yet I am enjoying this. Weird.

Yeah, the puzzles were pretty weak. I thought the combat was great, and it's the reason I've come back for multiple playthroughs. :dunno:

I also have a 360 that I will play all my cross console games on. I'm looking specifically for exclusives. Dating all the way back to when the systems came out of you wish.

I'm a big fan of story driven games, fps', rpgs, 3rd person shooters ect.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Uncharted, definately. 3 games, with 2 being the best. Demon's Souls, The Last of Us, Infamous 1+2. Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, if you're into them. Includes all MGS games, original version of the first via download voucher, both remastered and original versions of 2 and 3. God of War 3 and HD Collection. Valkyria Chronicles gets a lot of praise, though I didn't care for it myself.

Yeah, the puzzles were pretty weak. I thought the combat was great, and it's the reason I've come back for multiple playthroughs. :dunno:

Combat is okay when it's Lara taking on a maximum of 2-3 guys, preferably in a setting that allows the player to pick the angle of attack and to decide on whether to approach steatlthily or guns blazing. There have been several fights now that involved multiple waves of guys coming straight at me, with the only option being to patiently sit in cover, picking off one enemy whenever there's a break in the incoming fire and axemurder everyone who gets in close. There's no variey, no optional gear or anything that allows for an alternative approach, the only thing one has to decide on is which weapon to snipe with.

The "It" being a Valve release that is not HL2?

Then yes, it's happening.

Well, it's certainly a step in the right direction. Valve hasn't released a game since Dota 2, if I'm not mistaken. And we've been hearing rumors about Valve working on this-and-that in Source 2 for years. I didn't mean Half Life 3 is happening, but we might actually see Left 4 Dead 3, a new Portal, who knows what else.

I welcome any news about Valve working on something other than the Steam Machines or their controllers.

Combat is okay when it's Lara taking on a maximum of 2-3 guys, preferably in a setting that allows the player to pick the angle of attack and to decide on whether to approach steatlthily or guns blazing. There have been several fights now that involved multiple waves of guys coming straight at me, with the only option being to patiently sit in cover, picking off one enemy whenever there's a break in the incoming fire and axemurder everyone who gets in close. There's no variey, no optional gear or anything that allows for an alternative approach, the only thing one has to decide on is which weapon to snipe with.

When you get into situation where you're forced into dealing with waves of enemies, like in Shantytown or the final level, there are plenty exploding barrels to shoot at. Either fire arrows or guns will do it. Most of those encounters end up being very short if you take a couple of enemies per barrel.

Hey, I just found out that Ryse is coming out on PC. It's a little ahistorical for me (I think you fight Queen Boudica in Italy or somesuch nonsense), but I could be interested.

Hrm, let me see. I think it's worth playing Uncharted 2. If you like it like I did, you can play Uncharted 3, but I couldn't stand the gameplay systems anymore, and thought the fun story and visuals weren't worth it anymore. I like The Last of Us a lot for it's story and acting, but kind of can't stand it's gameplay either.

God of War is great, though it doesn't fall into any of your categories.

Demons' Souls if you're a fan of the Souls series. I think that one is still exclusive to PS3.

If I got a PS3 today and had played all the multiplatform stuff already, I'd probably start with Journey. That might actually be my favorite exclusive on that machine.

Marcus- cool super mutant

He is also NOT a merry mutant :D

I'm pretty excited but my friend said I should wait until I'm a ways into the game as the DLCs are harder than hell. So I'm going to try to get to around level 25 then hit one of them. They look like really great DLCs.

They are. I recommend them in the order Dead Money - Honest Hearts - Old World Blues - Lonesome Road. The narrative makes more sense that way. It's a bit rough as Dead Money is the weakest gameplay-wise, although the atmosphere is amazing.

I bought the bundle on Amazon for like $15 and you get Journey, Flower, and Flow. I didn't like any of those games, but there are people who absolutely swear by them.

If you like story-driven games, check out Heavy Rain. I liked that one.

Is there any Last of Us DLC that is actually a new mission?? Looks like just weapon packs and stuff.

Left Behind came included with PS4 Last of Us remastered.

Is that the only one?

No, or yes depending on whether I'm answering the first or last question. Left Behind is, according to the most up to date announcements from Naughty Dog, is the first and last single player mission based DLC. All other DLC is multiplayer focused or character skins.

I am now the proud owner of a PS3 for the first time ever. I waited for a long time to get one because, honestly, I knew I wouldn't be able to fork out however much for a one of the new consoles whenever they released. My question is- what are some of the best exclusives I should get?

I also have a 360 that I will play all my cross console games on. I'm looking specifically for exclusives. Dating all the way back to when the systems came out of you wish.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Well if you want to go back to day 1 then you can't pass up on Heavenly Sword. Some great hack 'n' slash gameplay, one of the best implementations of integrating the sixaxis controller into gameplay, good story and good voice acting.

If you haven't played the God of War series then you can get the entire series, incl the PS2 and PSP games in one nice package (skip Ascension though as it's inconsequential), though with some neat gameplay tweaks. If you get 5 game package then I believe the order to play them is Chains of Olympus, God of War, Ghost of Sparta, God of War 2, God of War 3. Good voice acting and a pretty coherent 5-game spanning story line.

Demon's Souls, the game that started the whole souls "movement" is one of my all time favourite games for PS3. I don't know if the online servers are still running. The game is somewhat diminished if it has no online functionality, but the essence of the game is sound regardless.

Valkyria Chronicles, I think the sub-sub-genre would be strategy JRPG, is my favourite PS3 game. It has several mission based DLCs the one to absolutely get is "Behind her Blue Flame" as you get a sweet weapon to use in the main game once you finish it, which makes Rosie an unstoppable force of. IN the year it was released it won several "awards" as best game no one (outside of Japan) played. And it really is that IMO.

Folklore is another game that integrated use of the DS3's sixaxis controller very well. I still haven't got around to finishing it, and that's in part because I've gotten a bit tired of reading dialogue in cut scenes. But I enjoy the game itself. It's got a great atmosphere to it, nice art style and interesting premise. Again one of the "best games no one played" sort of games.

If you like fps (I don't) then the Resistance series is worth a look, though Resistance 2 is apparently not so good. Killzone 2 is generally regarded as a very good game. Killzone 3 perhaps not so much. If you feel like making the investment (and I think it's worth it) Resistance 3 and Killzone 3 both have Playstation Move functionality. Playing fps games with PS Move, IMO, is second only to keyboard and mouse. And of course extra immersion if you get a sharpshooter

Infamous is a great series IMO. Infamous 2 can also be played with PS Move if you get the Festival of Blood DLC, which I highly recommend you do if you get into inFamous. So if you get all these games that use Move it makes Move somewhat worth the investment.

You can't go past Ratchet and Clank, in particular Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time. Not so much in the story department, but they are fun games. There is also a HD-upgrade of the PS2 games and I recommend getting those too. The Jak and Daxter HD trilogy is worth a look too.

The Uncharted series has already been mentioned.

The Last of Us is a no brainer.

The Yakuza series is GTA in Japan, more or less.

The best non-Japanese RPGs on PS3 are all multi-platform so I think the cupboard is relatively bare there. One of the few genres where PS3 doesn't have anything high quality to offer in the exclusives department. Demon's Souls is very western RPG in style, so while technically it's a JRPG (i.e. made by a Japanese studio) it is really the only great game that fills the western RPG slot.

Started The Last of Us on Grounded Mode. Hasn't been that hard yet. But I used the same approach the first play-through: maximum stealth. It is a little odd having no Listen Mode, no HUD. And dying in 1 or 2 hits is going to be a problem later, at certain points.

People seem to like Ni No Kuni. I'm not sure why.

Some people have a brain eating parasite who's infection results in a few types of impairment of cognitive function, including an enjoyment of JRPGs.

Well if you want to go back to day 1 then you can't pass up on Heavenly Sword. Some great hack 'n' slash gameplay, one of the best implementations of integrating the sixaxis controller into gameplay, good story and good voice acting.

If you haven't played the God of War series then you can get the entire series, incl the PS2 and PSP games in one nice package (skip Ascension though as it's inconsequential), though with some neat gameplay tweaks. If you get 5 game package then I believe the order to play them is Chains of Olympus, God of War, Ghost of Sparta, God of War 2, God of War 3. Good voice acting and a pretty coherent 5-game spanning story line.

Demon's Souls, the game that started the whole souls "movement" is one of my all time favourite games for PS3. I don't know if the online servers are still running. The game is somewhat diminished if it has no online functionality, but the essence of the game is sound regardless.

Valkyria Chronicles, I think the sub-sub-genre would be strategy JRPG, is my favourite PS3 game. It has several mission based DLCs the one to absolutely get is "Behind her Blue Flame" as you get a sweet weapon to use in the main game once you finish it, which makes Rosie an unstoppable force of. IN the year it was released it won several "awards" as best game no one (outside of Japan) played. And it really is that IMO.

Folklore is another game that integrated use of the DS3's sixaxis controller very well. I still haven't got around to finishing it, and that's in part because I've gotten a bit tired of reading dialogue in cut scenes. But I enjoy the game itself. It's got a great atmosphere to it, nice art style and interesting premise. Again one of the "best games no one played" sort of games.

If you like fps (I don't) then the Resistance series is worth a look, though Resistance 2 is apparently not so good. Killzone 2 is generally regarded as a very good game. Killzone 3 perhaps not so much. If you feel like making the investment (and I think it's worth it) Resistance 3 and Killzone 3 both have Playstation Move functionality. Playing fps games with PS Move, IMO, is second only to keyboard and mouse. And of course extra immersion if you get a sharpshooter

Infamous is a great series IMO. Infamous 2 can also be played with PS Move if you get the Festival of Blood DLC, which I highly recommend you do if you get into inFamous. So if you get all these games that use Move it makes Move somewhat worth the investment.

You can't go past Ratchet and Clank, in particular Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time. Not so much in the story department, but they are fun games. There is also a HD-upgrade of the PS2 games and I recommend getting those too. The Jak and Daxter HD trilogy is worth a look too.

The Uncharted series has already been mentioned.

The Last of Us is a no brainer.

The Yakuza series is GTA in Japan, more or less.

The best non-Japanese RPGs on PS3 are all multi-platform so I think the cupboard is relatively bare there. One of the few genres where PS3 doesn't have anything high quality to offer in the exclusives department. Demon's Souls is very western RPG in style, so while technically it's a JRPG (i.e. made by a Japanese studio) it is really the only great game that fills the western RPG slot.

I shall look into all of these. Already started The Last of Us.

That opening man. What the hell have I got myself into?

Archived