Videogames: The War (for equality) Has Just Begun

Jace, Extat

Speaking of CK2, anyone play in India?

I always get very bored very quickly and go back to europe.

Same, though going and raiding India with Vikings does result in a rather perverse joy

In the meantime, I downloaded the Game of Thrones mod for CK2. Tried it out, spent the first 20mins clicking through the 800 potential sigils to try and find a wolf. To be honest, lack of technology and retinues makes it kind of dull, for me. Also, very limited starting times.

Are you aware you can manually change the starting date to any time of your choice?

Not to a period before Aegon's Conquest, though - right?

The earliest is the startdate immediately prior to the Conquest, called "The Bleeding Years". It does not feature the event-driven unification of Westeros under the Targaryens, which is really all you can ask for. If you wanted to play a scenario before the Doom of Valyria, you'd have to create a new map (there actually might be a submod for this, though).

Main features of CK2: Charlemagne

New Earlier bookmark, 769, almost 100 more years of Crusader Kings II

Special story event series for Charlemagne

Annual Chronicle in the style of the Saxon chronicle

Custom Kingdoms and Empires, create a new title from a lower-tier title, can customize flag and name.

Dozens of new cultures.

Brand new system for climate and seasonal transitions.

Regency overhaul

Trailer.

Chronicle sounds cool, and I want to see what the regency overhaul means.

I wonder what Charlemagne's story events will involve (beyond the obvious). I know the Byzantine emperor has that small one to do with Greek Fire, and that was quite fun.

ETA: I like how Brittany's just chilling there next to that massive Francia blob.

Played through the Silent Hills teaser. It very dark and creepy, and the sound played such a huge role that it reminded me a lot of Silent Hill 1 and 2. But as great as it was, it threw it all away with a final puzzle.that was tedious and irritating. And seemingly completely random. I finished it, out of sheer stubbornness, in 4 hours. At least half of that was on the last puzzle It's just not that scary anymore once you've spent 2 hours getting frustrated over a puzzle that seriously takes only 2 minutes to complete once the stars align and the game decided to allow you to finish. It would have been much more effective if they had just let the final section play without the conditions (whatever they were) and cut to the reveal.

Despite that, it was still one of the best horror experiences I've ever had. I'm very interested in this game now, but still a little wary due to Kojima.

First, good god that guy playing it is awful. That's not a good way to showcase an upcoming game. Second, I can't help but think that this is just FC3 with a new coat of paint. Aside from the improved graphics, I see the same animations and pretty much exactly the same gameplay. I hope they jazzed up the story enough to make it a worthy AAA purchase, otherwise it looks like another 'wait for the sale' game for me.

Played through the Silent Hills teaser. It very dark and creepy, and the sound played such a huge role that it reminded me a lot of Silent Hill 1 and 2. But as great as it was, it threw it all away with a final puzzle.that was tedious and irritating. And seemingly completely random. I finished it, out of sheer stubbornness, in 4 hours. At least half of that was on the last puzzle It's just not that scary anymore once you've spent 2 hours getting frustrated over a puzzle that seriously takes only 2 minutes to complete once the stars align and the game decided to allow you to finish. It would have been much more effective if they had just let the final section play without the conditions (whatever they were) and cut to the reveal.

Despite that, it was still one of the best horror experiences I've ever had. I'm very interested in this game now, but still a little wary due to Kojima.

I just realised I can't handle true atmospheric horror games after doing the PT corridor merry-go-round up until getting the torch. I realised I didn't want to know or see what comes next. I prefer the sort of horror where you can see the monster coming at you, not what's going to leap around the corner or from behind a door at you. So Bloodborne it is for me. Also I don't like first person view. Are all Silent Hill games FP view?

I just realised I can't handle true atmospheric horror games after doing the PT corridor merry-go-round up until getting the torch. I realised I didn't want to know or see what comes next. I prefer the sort of horror where you can see the monster coming at you, not what's going to leap around the corner or from behind a door at you. So Bloodborne it is for me. Also I don't like first person view. Are all Silent Hill games FP view?

The Silent Hill games are 3rd person games

Started a Magyar game in CK2. Since the last thread taught me that the giant stack you get for creating Hungary changes depending on your realm size, I've been holding off on creating it for quite a while. Now, should I create Hungary, I'll get three 120k stacks, but since I'm already quite powerful and don't really need it I'm probably going to keep delaying it.

One day, though, the world won't know what hit it. The mongols won't have anything on my Hungarian horde.

Also I don't like first person view. Are all Silent Hill games FP view?

The Silent Hill games are 3rd person games

Yeah, they only did this one in 1sp person as another way to try to hide what it is.

It worked fine in the teaser since it was just the one hallway and no combat. I wouldn't want the entire game that way.

I've been having real trouble finishing off games recently. I haven't touched Divinity Original Sin in over a week. I haven't played Dark Souls 2 in over a month. I've been skipping around between about 5 different games on Steam. I ended my Wildstar subscription right before my renewal date. I'm sure there's been a couple other things too.

Thing is, I've liked most of these games; for a while anyway. Part of the problem is that they all just go on too long. I really prefer a well-done, at-least-semi-linear game that lasts around 15-20 hours and tells an entertaining story. Longer than that, unless the gameplay is just outstanding, I start getting bored. Take Dark Souls 2. I know From tells its stories differently, and that's fine. But I put over 40 hours into the game. That's more than plenty. I'm ready to see how it ends and move on, not keep at it for another 20 hours. Its the same with D:OS. I played 15 hours and nearly finished the first map. Its been fun, but I don't really want to keep at it for another 30 hours.

My main exception is just strategy and sim games, because I only pick those up if the gameplay is very intriguing to me and I do want to sink time into it.

I've been having real trouble finishing off games recently. I haven't touched Divinity Original Sin in over a week. I haven't played Dark Souls 2 in over a month. I've been skipping around between about 5 different games on Steam. I ended my Wildstar subscription right before my renewal date. I'm sure there's been a couple other things too.

I've been doing some ADD gaming lately too. I've got 5 or 6 games that I've been hopping between. They're all good, but none of them are making me want to keep playingfor very long.

But I'm looking for a long game that's going to keep me occupied for 50+ hours. I blame Destiny.

Getting Diablo 3 UEE tomorrow. Maybe that will do it. Still debating if I should import my D3 save or start fresh.

I've been doing some ADD gaming lately too. I've got 5 or 6 games that I've been hopping between. They're all good, but none of them are making me want to keep playingfor very long.

But I'm looking for a long game that's going to keep me occupied for 50+ hours. I blame Destiny.

Getting Diablo 3 UEE tomorrow. Maybe that will do it. Still debating if I should import my D3 save or start fresh.

For me, outside of a handful of games, I just get bored of the gameplay after 15 hours or so. I really play games for the story, the characters, and the visuals, not the actual game. Which, yeah, probably means I'd be better off watching TV or movies, but I prefer an interactive medium. And the thing is, after about 15 hours, I really just want to see how the story ends. If I'm close, I'll power through; but if I'm not, I lose interest.

I do make exceptions. There are strategy games like Civ5, and more mindless games, like Diablo 3, that I can play nearly forever; usually while catching up on my podcasts. And there are a few games that have been so fun that I'll put in significantly longer hours than normal, like Borderlands 2. There's even been a handful games that have had such good stories that I was willing to stick with them far beyond my normal length of time; but they are very few and far between.

I feel bad it about it though, because I'm also pretty OCD about finishing off games at least once and I just can't bring myself to do for these epically long games that are just reasonably fun and have just reasonably entertaining stories. There's nothing wrong with the games, but I wish they were significantly shorter. If the resources freed up from that are used to spruce up what remains, so much the better.

I am looking forward to Destiny, and I hope it fits the BL2 mold. But even if it doesn't, if I just enjoy it for a solid 15-20 hours; I'll consider myself to have gotten my money's worth.

Archived